SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Los Angeles yesterday:

These are the kinds of pictures people on this forum like, even though its not what most of LA looks like. Forumers seem to object to LA being called a "suburban city", yet LA is not urban in any traditional way. Why would people get put off by that title? Why would people go out of their way to find pictures that look "urban" (no setback, mixed use buildings and such).

I understand pictures of downtown (although nobody takes pictures of all the parking lots in south park, or the fact that bunker hill looks a lot like irvine). We all have lots of negative associations with the word "suburban", but can anyone object to the fact that Los Angeles is a car city, less urban than others? I went to a new "smart and final" and "Rite Aid" in the Miracle Mile. Fronting the sidewalk was basically a wall. The main enterences were in back, facing the parking lot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry, I don't get your point dude.

Anyways, people like takin urbin pics because when other people assume that LA is suburban... the actually really think that LA is ONLY single family hoods. I actualy have grown men ask me, "so does LA have a downtown or any tall buildings?"

well, it feels like a big city to me cause I actually am from a small suburban town.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Orange county doesn't only have single family houses, it has lots of apartments (hell, it even has skyscrapers). Is it urban?

·
Registered
70 Posts
You tell me, I'm sure parts of it are. But where the majority of OC is suburban, a lot of people are surprised to find the opposite is true of LA. Hence why people on here like to take shots of urban areas to try and show how diverse LA is. I'm still not getting your point. Are you unhappy with LA or do you feel that people should embrace the suburban side of LA?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
POLA said:
You tell me, I'm sure parts of it are. But where the majority of OC is suburban, a lot of people are surprised to find the opposite is true of LA. Hence why people on here like to take shots of urban areas to try and show how diverse LA is. I'm still not getting your point. Are you unhappy with LA or do you feel that people should embrace the suburban side of LA?
Urban/Suburban has nothing to do with apartments or houses, there are apartments in the suburbs and houses in the cities. I'm not trying to make an argument for whether or not LA is urban. What I'm saying is that the diversity of the city isn't being embraced, because most of the pictures on here are of places that look traditionaly urban, when really most of LA doesn't look like that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Do you actually know what is LA (the CITY), and LA the County. Actually a lot of LA city does look like this, San Fernado Valley excluded. What a lot of folks think is LA in in fact NOT. Many times they're confusing other cities with in the metro as LA. Some are in fact suburbs which are seperate cities either in the LA county are just part of the metro.

I'm also with POLA on this, I don't get your point. You're new, but had you seen many of my neighborhood tours over the years. I post pictures from all around the metro, from the city to the burbs. I show it all my friend.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ChrisLA said:
Actually a lot of LA city does look like this
Yes, i know but a lot of it doesn't. I'm not saying you dont post pictures of all parts of the city, but look at what types of pictures are usually posted, its not really a fair cross section. Too many people are trying to make LA look like other cities, when it really doesn't.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Touche... I feel that the only place LA is really being sold as urban only is on this site. Seeing as it's called skyscrapper city, I don't really think this is a problem. But, if you've never lived here, then you would know that the image of mansions in Bev Hills is more often sold as what the majority of LA is and that couldn't be further from the truth... Now, I expect you to refute this. And for the love of god, I can't figure out why you have your panties in a wad about LA suburbs not getting a fair rep on this site, so I am ending this here. Till we met again in another thread... But not here. Bye

1 - 10 of 10 Posts