Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
818 Colombo Street City

'At the forefront of architectural design and construction and with European interior design, these residences define superior luxury inner city living. With an emphasis on ecology and sustainability, the MIRO creates an inviting and idyllic environment to live, work and play. Creative layouts and sumptuous interior design push through the boundaries from ordinary to extraordinary.

Designed by leading international design group Architectus, the MIRO Luxury Residences are situated at 818 Colombo Street, between Peterborough and Kilmore Streets, at the heart of a new developing precinct. The MIRO is comprised of 10 luxury single level residences with two penthouses, each fitted with unparalleled finishings including European kitchens, appliances and bathroom fixtures. The interior decor has been designed by Susie and Teassa Paynter - renowned for their exceptional style and creativity.'

http://www.realestate.co.nz/2308508

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wonder if they're selling any? Wouldn't have thought colombo st to be a place for luxury apartments.
Last I heard it was going to be split between offices and apartments so maybe that's helped?

Also is that a builder's logo on the bottom of that sign? I can't quite make it out.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Also is that a builder's logo on the bottom of that sign? I can't quite make it out.
That logo on the sign is for Bayleys real estate, so I not sure who the builder will be for this project.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Last I heard it was going to be split between offices and apartments so maybe that's helped?

Nah. I'm pretty sure its all apartments, otherwise Bayleys would have it under commercial.

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,521 Posts
Don't get too excited by the thread bump. Nothing happening just yet. Apparently a few have been purchased, developer needing a couple more signatures before construction can start.

This block of Colombo was shaping up quite nicely pre-quakes as a foodie, bar strip. I expect it will bounce back quite nicely considering its location, and theres also a bit of rebuilding work going on in the immediate area.

018 by milan.luka116, on Flickr

015 by milan.luka116, on Flickr

022 by milan.luka116, on Flickr

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,521 Posts
^^

That's a pity but not surprising. It just didn't seem to be the right fit for the area. I know the sales were slowing and Im certain they got Oaks involved to redo it as apartment hotel / high end apartments. The area immediately around is slow to recover and I cant imagine at the price point they were offering that people would consider this spot their first choice. Look at the apartments around Victoria Street, Cranmer Square, Hagley Park- heck even east of Latimer Square, theyre being snapped up.

I'm not saying north of the river along Colombo Street isn't a good residential option. It certainly will be. BUT such a high end development right on the street itself. A short building with no views, what looked like no outside residential areas, maybe not the best choice.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
^^

That's a pity but not surprising. It just didn't seem to be the right fit for the area. I know the sales were slowing and Im certain they got Oaks involved to redo it as apartment hotel / high end apartments. The area immediately around is slow to recover and I cant imagine at the price point they were offering that people would consider this spot their first choice. Look at the apartments around Victoria Street, Cranmer Square, Hagley Park- heck even east of Latimer Square, theyre being snapped up.

I'm not saying north of the river along Colombo Street isn't a good residential option. It certainly will be. BUT such a high end development right on the street itself. A short building with no views, what looked like no outside residential areas, maybe not the best choice.
I completely agree with you. For this to be one of the first high end apartment buildings to go up post quake it was a terrible location. The area is starting to recover a bit now but still a long way to go. But I also noticed that the CoSa hotel has gone quiet too. That was supposed to be done by now.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm not surprised. I bet many people that looked at buying the place thought there will be a LOT of construction and disruptions happening in the area.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The for sale sign came down a while ago, but the sign "Miro" is still up. I wonder will would be in there now? Think the street in that spot could use maybe a 3 floor backpackers or hotel.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The for sale sign came down a while ago, but the sign "Miro" is still up. I wonder will would be in there now? Think the street in that spot could use maybe a 3 floor backpackers or hotel.
I'd rather have 5 stories like we had in that spot previously. Its a large site and a backpackers would be a waste.

·
1,685 Posts
NO! We nearly had a seven level building on Colombo Street! Lets hope the site gets sold with similar plans. Confirmation of the cancellation of Miro Apartments in The Press today:

Christchurch's Miro luxury apartment plan founders

An artist's impression of the Miro Luxury Residences, which had been planned for central Christchurch.

Plans to build the plushest apartments in the Christchurch rebuild have collapsed and the site will be sold by a mortgagee.

The Miro Luxury Residences would have been the costliest apartments in the central city, priced between $1.45 million and $2.6m. They were to be built at 818 Colombo St in the central city, between Kilmore and Peterborough streets .

The plan for the land was later redrawn as a seven-storey block. It is understood a hotel group wanted to run serviced tourist apartments on the lower floors, with private apartments on top.

Real estate firm Ray White is now selling the property on behalf of a mortgagee, one of two private lenders involved with the project. Ray White agent Hayden Jones said there had been interest from both locals and foreigners.

Developer Richmond Paynter's company 818 Central Ltd paid $2m for the land in mid-2013, and had the five-storey apartment block designed by architecture firm Architectus .

The apartments were to measure up to 300 square metres, with interior design described in advertising as creative and sumptuous. Exterior features included a courtyard garden with plant-covered green walls and a water feature.

The revised plan was for 48 tourist apartments with six private apartments, car parking, and a cafe, retail space and reception facilities at street level.

Paynter is still listed as a director of the property's owner, 818 Central, along with Auckland developer Andrew Fonagy. The company's shareholders are mainly Auckland-based investors.

Paynter and Fonagy also head the development company associated with the project called A and R Property Group.

Paynter said he was no longer involved with the property. Fonagy could not be reached for comment.

Real estate agent Sara Ashcroft, of Bayleys, was originally hired to market the apartments off the plan, and said there had been some buyer interest.

"There was quite good inquiry but it was very early in the rebuild of the city. There's certainly demand for apartments but it was probably more timing than anything."

Ashcroft said that while the bulk of demand for central city apartments was not for million-dollar homes, "you never know who will buy at the top end until there is something available".

Source: The Press

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I wonder how they got permission for seven stories? The height limit on this site according to the listing is 15m or so. Would be awesome if the buyer re-used the old design.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts