·
:-x
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Liverpool, England.
12,951 Posts
I'll have a go with this one:

This is a view from the Pier Head looking up Brunswick Street.

The Liverpool Overhead Railway was so unique this side of the Atlantic that its loss was very keenly felt and people still talk about rebuilding all or part of the system although there have been no serious proposals.

If it was around today, it would undoubtably be a great tourist attraction but, given the financial strictures of the 1950s and the loss of much of the market for which it was built, closure was probably inevitable.

The line was created as a fast passenger transport route following the line of the Dock Road and reflected the fact that the route was continually blocked by slow moving horse-drawn traffic - principally the carts that carried cargo to and from ships. There was a need for ships crews, messengers, dock labour and ship repairmen to travel the length of the Dock Road and so there was a ready market for the railway.

Nowadays, the port has migrated downstream to Seaforth at the furthest extent of the LOR and the old South and Central Docks have been or are being developed as residential, office or tourist areas. The demand for movement along the Dock Road is far less and could be served better by a tram system.

Still, it would be nice to see part of the LOR reconstructed. Dingle underground station at the southern terminus of the line is still intact (used as a car repair workshop) but little remains of the rest of the route. The new Museum of Liverpool, due to open in 2010 will have a partial reconstruction of a section of the LOR route and feature a preserved motor coach.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The Petite Ceinture (inner ring) in Paris: a 100% urban line that used to loop around central Paris. Partially undergound and partially overground. With its wide gauge and its connexions to the other railways line, this line really looks line the London Circle Line.
Too bad it has been closed in 1937 (and 1981 for a short remainig section).

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Half of Budapest's tram network was demolished in the commie ear,so its now only about 350km,and a lot of suburban rail lines were closed/demolished too.

Tramlines ceased to exist in the city of Kecskemét,Nyíregyháza and Pécs,4 lines were closed in Debrecen(from 5),a lot was curtailed in Szeged....fortunately Debrecen,Szeged and Miskolc will extend/rebuild some of these lines until 2010.

·
:-x
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ Hmmm, I heard about Cincinatti's but didn't know about Rochester's having one. Was Rochester's subway ever commissioned into service?

The Petite Ceinture (inner ring) in Paris: a 100% urban line
100%? I ask this coz I remember seeing its leftover nearby some southern Porte on the edge of town there, being some seemingly single-track infrastructure.

Anyhow, just to clarify, the nature of trams is in no way mass-transit -- thanking you in advance for your categorical omission here.

·
Registered
415 Posts
^^ 100%? I ask this coz I remember seeing its leftover nearby some southern Porte on the edge of town there, being some seemingly single-track infrastructure.
Yes, the PC was a real urban network with 1 stop every km, connexions to most of the railways and interchanges with a huge number of tram and metro lines. There was a double track all the way excepted in the west, where there were four tracks, 2 for a circular service (steam) and 2 for a local service (electric) between Auteuil and Pont Cardinet. Unfortunatly the project to upgrade it to the metro standards with electrically powered trains all the way was challenged by the metro. As I said Paris missed the opporunity to have a huge "London style" Circle Line..
:eek:hno:

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Apart from the third avenue and the 2nd ave. els (not to mention the other branches knocked down in Brooklyn)which stretched well into the Bronx from Manhattan, we also lost the Myrtle Avenue EL in Brooklyn. This line was knocked down in the late 60's. It's a real shame, I'm sure we could've easily had the largest "subway" network in the world if we had kept these lines.

This last pic is from Forgotten-ny where one can find the story of this line and some pics. Here's the link, incase any of you's are interested.
http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SUBWAYS/myrtle/myrtle.el.html

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Toronto was working on an Eglinton Ave subway line, until the Conservatives got in and not only canceled it, but filled it back in with concrete. Now they are going to resurrect it as an underground LRT, and re-tunnel it.

Tax dollars at work...

·
Яandwicked
692 Posts
Toronto was working on an Eglinton Ave subway line, until the Conservatives got in and not only canceled it, but filled it back in with concrete. Now they are going to resurrect it as an underground LRT, and re-tunnel it.

Tax dollars at work...
Whoa, they actually filled it in? There must have been some structural reason. Otherwise, that's unbelievably pigheaded.:eek:hno:

·
SECULARISM
522 Posts
Rochester NY had an up and running subway system that has been completely shut down since the mid 20th century.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts