Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Resident Smartass.
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find a related thread about bicycling and it's infrastructure. I would love to know more about it, especially the Dutch network, especially bridges, tunnels, ferries and of course the parking facilities). Being in Canada, there are few places that have an extensive bike pathway system. Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, St-Albert (immediately NW of Edmonton) and, to a degree, Vancouver. Pics of course are more than welcome, as are links to English language websites.

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts

·
Resident Smartass.
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do like. :) INFINITELY better than what we have here in Kamloops, BC.

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
Bike paths in Boulder, CO. Boulder, well-known for its bicycle culture, boasts hundreds of miles of bike paths, lanes, and routes that interconnect to create a renowned network of bikeways usable year-round.

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts

·
Resident Smartass.
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome pics. :) :eek:kay: I got a chuckle out of the roundabout for cyclists. :happy:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Here in the greater Tampa area we do not have too many bike ways that actually go anywhere. There are a lot of long bikeways along the toll highways for exercise, but they do not connect much of anything.

In St. Petersburg (across the bay from Tampa) they have a reasonable decent bikeway network in their down town area:

Posted by "thelakelander" onhttp://www.metrojacksonville.com

From BeyondDC on Flickr:

There is also the Pinellas Trail in Pinellas County that is 34 miles long and connects most of the major towns and cities on the peninsula. Most of the alignment was formerly a rail line for passengers and freight until the mid-late 1960s.

Overpass for bike/walk trail (from wikipedia):

From Project for Public Spaces

From Hexblock on Flickr:

·
hello
498 Posts
Sacramento's very bike-friendly. We're situated on the confluence of two rivers, and there are pristine bike paths along each, with easy access to the city throughout. Sacramento also is home to hundreds of parks, most of which are connected by bike paths as well.

One could easily ride the paths all day without straying too far from the city center.

·
Resident Smartass.
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm loving the pics. :) :bow: :applause: :happy: It's awesome to see the cities and countries that have/are continuing to take, a proactive approach to cycling, unlike my hometown of Kamloops. :eek:hno: :bash: :gaah: >(

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
Dequindre Cut is a below-grade pathway, formerly a Grand Trunk Western Railroad line, located on the east side of Detroit, Michigan just west of St. Aubin Street. Much of the Cut has been converted to a greenway; the colorful graffiti along the pathway has been left in place.

Wikipedia - Cycling in Detroit

·
Registered
16,156 Posts

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts

The McDonald's Cycle Center in Millennium Park. The building has indoor parking for bicycles, bicycle repair, showers, rental, lockers, and a cafe.

Lakefront Trail in Chicago which is a multiuse trail that runs up along the shore of Lake Michigan.

Map of the Lakefront Trail

Bike lane in Chicago. Chicago has just over 111 miles (179 km) of dedicated bike lanes covering much of the city. There are also several miles of roads signed and marked with shared lane markings (consisting of bike and chevron symbols, or bike symbols and arrows). As of August 2008, there are approximately 27 miles (43 km) of these types of shared bike lanes throughout the city.

City of Chicago Bike Map

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
MediaCity:UK, Salford, Greater Manchester. Built as part of a road scheme planned since the late 1980s, just recently opened.

Start of works

Fails with a complete lack of directional signage, lack of priority over side roads, steep curve/turn radius, and disappearing before reaching the actual destination (MediaCity:UK) itself. However it does have a lovely smooth surface!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
^^ How horrible that road. I think i'm happier with the cycle-infrastructure in my city:

And a video of the number of bikes parked each that near the Utrecht Railway station. As this is only one side of the station and some parkings on this side and all parkings on the other side cannot be seen, the amount of bikes in the video is not more than 35% of total bikes near the station...

1 - 20 of 82 Posts