SkyscraperCity Forum banner
361 - 380 of 1877 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
In the past (the best version):

Currently (They've lost their way):

My improved(!) version with plans from 2012-16:

I believe that most people oriented themselves by noting whether they were to the left or the right of a straight Northern, and above or below the Central.

To show where there Jubilee went, I thought best make it straight towards Canary Wharf.

To help people choose The Waterloo and City outside the peaks, best make it straight.

Best to indicate on the lines themselves those that do not run full time.

I liked it when Epping and West Ruislip reflected each other.

I liked it when the eastern District was straight.

I also wanted to make the DLR clearer (better looking)

I also wanted to make the central area (Bond Street to Holborn) to be more Mondrian style!

· melior de cinere surgo
10,469 Posts

· Registered
21,797 Posts

Looks great, Alex! Indeed, the number of unnecessary bends within the Circle line has increased dramatically over the past decades. Your design shows that is not necessary at all.

· Registered
36 Posts
3D Cartoon Tube Map

Has anyone seen the cartoon-style Tube map that is drawn in a cartoon style? It shows the tube lines in 3D and cartoonish renderings of buildings and tourist attractions? I saw this when I was in London in 2004 and I've been searching for it hopelessly on the internet. Can anyone help me find a copy?

Thanks!

· Registered
21,797 Posts
Be a little more specific: was it an official map, or something you saw in a tourist shop? If the last is the case, you're gonna have a hard time to find a copy of it.

· Registered
36 Posts
It was an unofficial map in that it wasn't produced by TfL. I think it was done as an advertising vehicle for tourist attractions... probably the kind of thing you'd find in one of the train stations or at a Tube ticket booth in a high-traffic station. I picked up a hard copy when I was there, but I remember seeing it online shortly thereafter... maybe in this forum.

The beauty of this map was that it showed how the tube related to the streets and buildings on the surface.

· Registered
7 Posts
I remember a poster that was in the Green Park underground station that was titled "Above ground you can't beat the Underground"
It was produced by Globalvision Holding, Ltd. There were smaller posters of the Piccadilly line only on the glass panels by the doors of the Piccadilly line trains. I tried to get a copy of the larger poster but was unsuccessful but eventually got a copy of the Piccadilly which is now hanging framed on my wall.
This was February 2000 when I was in London and got the poster from the London Transport Museum about a year later.

· Premium Member
24,643 Posts
They're still present in a lot of (all?) Piccadilly Line trains, on a panel adjacent to one of the middle doors. All I have ever seen was a Piccadilly Line version, as far as I'm aware there were no others. I can confirm that they were produced by Globalvision, whoever they are (i.e. not official LUL graphics).

· Premium Member
24,643 Posts
^^ They seem to be on all the Piccadilly line trains.

I think they are pretty cool - showing a lot of buildings from the West End all the way out to Tottenham Hotspur and Bruce castle (really random as i doubt anyones heard of that) - in my neck of the woods.
If you look carefully you can see the QEII bridge at Dartford on the horizon too... As they're just stickers (and therefore prone to being defaced / peeled off) I presume Tubelines have stocks of them still in Oakwood and Northfields depots. I could be cheeky and see if I can blag one :D

· Registered
7 Posts
The correct title of the poster was "Above Ground You Can't Beat the Tube"
Customer service at LUL found out it was a one-off poster published by an outside company. It was not published for London Underground but advertised on their property. Because there was demand for the poster, London Transport Museum decided to purchase the copyright from the publishers. However, they could not agree on terms. Eventually they agreed to issue a poster of the Piccadilly line only.
This is basically what I was told in my e-mail correspondence with London Underground in February 2001.

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Of course it is: you made it...:tyty:
Actually, I said it mirrors my personal one very well, but I didn't say it was mine ;)

For example, the Queen line would continue up Weston and cut across at Albion and then up Islington and into the suburbs on the west end. On the east, it would go up at Woodbine rather than Coxwell, then when the Danforth heads north it would continue east to Kingston Rd, and up along Kingston Rd into the east suburbs.

I'll have to draw it out sometime :)

· Banned
347 Posts
361 - 380 of 1877 Posts