SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 426 Posts

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,505 Posts
Graffiti is not a problem on Hamburg's trains. There is actually one S-Bahn train legally painted in Graffiti-style by a school. Scratching is a problem. The seats are ok, but often the windows are heavily scratched.

·
16,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
hkth said:
1980s????? :bash: :bash: :bash: You're pulling everybody's legs! This news article was came from Apple Daily. The paper didn't establish until 1996! Also, the original Yellow cab Metro-Cammell train (Today's Alscom) since 1982 had been refurbrished into the shape you see in the late 1990s! :bash:
The 1980s part I was mentioning was the Chicago subway train I posted earlier, not The HK KCR :)

·
Is it a bee?
382 Posts
No graffitis on Lille's subways and trams but some people love to engrave the train's windows with their keys wich I think is stupid 'coz you can't even wash it! It's not artistic... just ugly!
The orlder regional rail trains usually have graffitis but it's not a real "problem"!

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,354 Posts
Very few graffittis in Barcelona Metro because, if somebody "paint" a train, this train will not run in the network until cleaned!
;)
Unfortunately, lots of "scratchitty" in trains windows...
:(

·
*Made in Estonia*
904 Posts
Berlin is the worst if you talk about graffiti.

The subway trains are quite clean because they don´t enter service until they´re cleaned. Of course we have a lot of scratching, and lots of tags, especially in the stations. The newer trains have got cameras, so they look very clean!

The S-bahn trains are not so clean than the subway trains, the s-bahn has a huge scratching problem. Also they don´t clean the graffitis so fast. You´ll see a lot graffitis on s-bahn trains.
They need days until the train will be cleaned.

At the moment the s-bahn is changing the windows because of WM 2006. The trains should look good but the first windows are already scratched completely again. :(

Here are some pictures:

And this crazy one! Please scroll------------------------------------------------>>>>

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I really hate graffitis. Good thing Asian metros don't have this problem. Besides that incident in HK I've never seen graffitis on Hong Kong's metro system or public transportation neither in China's, Taiwan, Singapore, Japan or Korea.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
What can be done to eliminate graffiti?

I understand that in New York the train yards are protected by tall fences and are well guarded. Also, the train bodies are all stainless steel to permit the rapid removal of graffiti using chemical solvents.

In order to curtail graffiti, many cities in the United States have resorted to prohibiting the sale of spray paint to minors.

What penalties should be used to deter graffiti "artists"?

There was an infamous case in Singapore several years ago in which a young American was caned for spray painting graffiti. That punishment actually seemed more humane to me than what would have happened to him in an American jail where he could have expected to be raped by a gang of aspiring rap stars.

In addition to criminal penalties, transit agencies should be able to seek civil penalties to cover the cost of taking the trains out of service and repainting them. Transit agencies probably don't bother doing this as the offenders typically wouldn't have the money to pay the penalties. The best the transit agency could hope for is to force the offender or the offender's family into bankruptcy.

Perhaps the best penalty would be to sentence the offenders to a year of cleaning and painting trains. This would leave them with a strong aversion to graffiti and perhaps marketable job skills. Such a penalty would be politically problematic because it would take away union jobs.

·
Enlightened user
5,782 Posts
greg_christine said:
There was an infamous case in Singapore several years ago in which a young American was caned for spray painting graffiti. That punishment actually seemed more humane to me than what would have happened to him in an American jail where he could have expected to be raped by a gang of aspiring rap stars.

Yeah... I think that being put in a jail would be much worse!

·
16,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
zergcerebrates said:
I've never seen graffitis on Hong Kong's metro system or public transportation neither in China's, Taiwan, Singapore, Japan or Korea.
Now you have :D

Japan

Shanghai

Seoul

Japan has the most serious problem of subway graffiti in any Asian country.

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
I haven't seen graffiti on the outside of a London Underground train for years, since they refused to let trains out of the depots unless graffiti free. However there's alot of scratching on windows and small graffiti. Also, on the overground sections, there is graffiti on bridges and at the sides of the rail line at points.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It hurts a lot to see neat trains/stations sprayed with paint. People who do this should be jailed for at least 10 years. That's my opinion. Sadly, in Germany it seems like they remain unpunished. I think vandalism(=graffiti) is a crime.

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
There's also a lot of people who vandalise the seats which has meant that all the seats in the new and refurbished trains are quite hard.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
To my knowledge and experience, Toronto's TTC has no problems with vandalism whatso ever. Be it subway or streetcar.

From time to time, you will see magic marker tagging and small etching in glass but it is almost none existant.

·
Registered
322 Posts
in vancouver, i dont see any on the ouutside of the trains or buses, but i do see them on the seats... and its UGLY, theyre not those humungous words, theyre just small words

·
16,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
dchengg said:
in vancouver, i dont see any on the ouutside of the trains or buses, but i do see them on the seats... and its UGLY, theyre not those humungous words, theyre just small words
Now you have ;)

and some Toronto ones as well :D

21 - 40 of 426 Posts