SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 743 Posts

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know which railway terminus has the most platforms, and which city has the greatest aggregate number of platforms at its railway terminii. Figures for the number of passengers per day or per annum would also be appreciated.

I would be particularly interested in data from London, Paris, Moscow, Tokyo, Mumbai, New York ... & Chicago! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

My city- Melbourne Australia- has 16 platforms at its Central terminal (Southern Cross Station). However, two have yet to be commisioned, and six are used chiefly by suburban through traffic. At least one (and perhaps several more) platforms might be added due to over-long platforms with points/switches in the middle enabling two or more trains to independently arrive & depart from the same platform (e.g. Platform 8, 8 South, 8 North).

The other central city station- Flinders St. - at one time had 16 platforms, but has now lost at least three of them. However, six tracks feed through to Southern Cross. Suburban trains originate and terminate here, so for Melbourne as a whole I'd add the 13 at Flnders St. to the 9 terminal platforms at Southern Cross giving a total of 22.

For passenger throughput, my figures are old, but about 6 million "inter-urban", "inter-city" and "inter-state" passengers per year, and about 150 million suburban passengers. Suburban passenger figures are particularly difficult to estimate, since the ticketing system is inter-modal, and a single daily ticket might purchase a couple of train trips, a couple of tram trips and a couple of bus trips as well. Also lots of people don't validate their tickets (and get away with it).

---------------------------------------------------------------

I only discovered this part of SSC today and almost contributed to another thread only to find it had been closed, and another was in danger of meeting the same fate!

I am sure there are people out there only too willing to contribute here!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Grand Central Terminal in New York City has 67 tracks on 44 platforms, making it the largest by number of tracks (according to Wikipedia). It is a deadend terminal- trains can't continue onward.

Most JR stations in Tokyo are through-terminals, in that trains continue onwards. Shinjuku is the most famous, with 34,600,000 daily boardings/alightings (counting doubles if one transfers to another railway company here), making it the busiest station in the world.
33 tracks, 25 platforms
2 tracks for Chuo/Sobu local line
4 tracks for Chuo rapid line
2 tracks for Chuo limited express line (terminus)
2 tracks for Yamanote loop line
4 tracks for Saikyo/Shonan Shinjuku line

3 tracks for Odakyu limited express and express line (terminus)
2 tracks for Odakyu local line (terminus)

3 tracks for Keio line (terminus)
2 tracks for Keio/Toei Shinjuku subway line

3 tracks for Seibu Shinjuku line (terminus)

2 tracks for Marunouchi subway line
2 tracks for Toei Oedo subway line (south exit)
2 tracks for Toei Oedo subway line (north exit)

The other big terminal is of course Tokyo station, used by 10,500,000 daily.
26 tracks, 13 platforms
2 tracks for Chuo rapid line (terminus)
2 tracks for Yamanote loop line
2 tracks for Keihin Tohoku line
4 tracks for Tokaido line (terminus)
2 tracks for Sobu/Yokosuka rapid line
2 tracks for Keiyo line (terminus)
4 tracks for Shinkansen service north (terminus)
6 tracks for Shinkansen service south (terminus)

2 tracks for Marunouchi subway line

Note that for both stations, many of the platforms are not located in the same area- some are underground, some require a transfer.

·
Яandwicked
691 Posts
A lot of platforms at Grand central aren't really platforms, though, they're just sidings with stairs up to the carriages. Or they used to be that way anyway.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
In Paris there are 6 terminus railway stations:

Gare du Nord: 36 platforms at ground level, 4 platforms underground (no terminus), 180 Millon/passengers/year, third railway station in the world (?)

Gare St Lazare: 27 platforms at ground level, 100 Millon/passengers/year

Gare de Lyon: 18 platforms at ground level, 4 platforms underground (no terminus), 83 Millon/passengers/year

Gare Montparnasse: 28 platforms at ground level, 50 Millon/passengers/year

Gare de l'Est: 30 platforms at ground level, 34 Millon/passengers/year

Gare d'Austerlitz: 21 platforms at ground level, 4 platforms underground (no terminus), 25 Millon/passengers/year

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Frungy, I understand you are not a big fan of 万 figures, am I wrong? ;)

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
^^^
I would say that Paris passenger rail terminals look quite large from those pics!
:runaway:

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
I think that the largest pssenger rail terminals probabily between Tokyo and NYC. For the busiest, it is gotta be Tokyo!
I think that Chicago Union Station passenger rail terminals has no where around that can be associated with the expressions like "largest" & "busiest" YET, IMHO! :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
The Train terminus in India are quite busy handling a lot of passengers.. I dont know about place like Delhi which has three terminuses and one huge terminus is u/c . As for my city Kolkata (calcutta), there are two terminuses
Sealdah : 16 platforms handling about 1 million/DAY
Howrah : 23 platforms handling close to 1 millon /DAY

I dont know the stats of Mumbai but there are quite a few terminuses with the main one being Mumbai CST or Victoria Terminus which handles close to kolkata terminuses..

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
According to the figures you get in this pdf http://www.train-media.net/report/0511/joukou_2004.pdf
(Japanese) and in the Japanese version of the wikipedia, these are Japan's (and many of the world's) busiest stations:
(transfer passengers counted twice. Due to through-services and tranfers I understand getting the exact figure gets complicated)

1 Shinjuku, Tokyo 3,458,000 daily passengers (10 lines served by 7 railway companies)

2 Ikebukuro, Tokyo 2,654,000

3 Shibuya, Tokyo 2.459.000

4 Osaka/Umeda, Osaka 2,239,000

5 Yokohama 1,815,000

Other sources place Osaka/Umeda at number 2, who knows...

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys ... I look forward to postings from London & Moscow. Great photos of the Paris stations, and thanks, Frungy for the detailed breakdown of traffic.

I was aware that Grand Central NY had a huge number of platforms, but only 4 tracks leading out to the north? Are they all (of the 44) in use? How about Pennsylvania Station NY?

Flinders St. Station Melbourne was at one time claimed the title "busiest station in the world" since at that time it had over 2000 train movements per day (and I'm sure still has at least as many), but apart from anything else, at the time this would have begged the question re. what was a train and what was a "metro" or whatever.

[Edit] ... thanks also to those who posted while i was posting ....

·
비누
48 Posts
While it's not the largest and definitely not the busiest, Sydney's Central station is pretty big.

It has 25 platforms altogether, fifteen terminating and ten through platforms.
Two of the through platforms are underground (platforms 24/25).

There are also two other platforms that have never been put into use. They are also underground and were built at the same time as the other underground platforms.

·
39,724 Posts
I'm not sure where London's major terminii fit into the equation, but these are the facts about the busiest stations:

Paddington

- Platforms: 14 Overground/6 Underground

-Lines:
*Heathrow Connect
*Heathrow Express
*First Great Western (commuter)
*First Great Western (intercity)
*Bakerloo Line
*District Line
*Circle Line
*Hammersmith and City Line

- Annual Passengers entry and exit only (not including interchanging passengers): 25.262 million Overground/ 34.444 million Underground/ 60 million Total

Victoria

-Platforms: 19 Overground/4 Underground

-Lines:
*SouthEastern
*Southern
*Gatwick Express
*Circle Line
*District Line
*Victoria Line

- Annual Passenger entry and exit only (not including interchanging passengers): 61.647 million Overground/ 68.863 million Underground/130 million Total

Kings Cross/St Pancras

- Platforms: 16 Overground / 8 Underground

-Lines:
*First Capital Connect
*GNER
*Hull Trains
*Grand Central Trains
*Midland Mainline
*Circle Line
*Hammersmith & City Line
*Metropolitan Line
*Northern Line
*Victoria Line
*Picadilly Line

- Annual Passenger entry and exit only (not including interchanging passengers): 53.5 million Overground/ 77.564 million Underground/131 million Total

Waterloo

- Platforms: 31 Overground / 5 Underground

-Lines:
*South West Trains
*Southern
*SouthEastern
*Eurostar
*Bakerloo Line
*Waterloo & City Line
*Jubilee Line
*Northern Line

- Annual Passenger entry and exit only (not including interchanging passengers): 69.131 million Overground/ 68.427 million Underground/ 7.5 Million Eurostar/ 145 million Total

I might add more later.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some Melbourne Termninal Pictures

Flinders St:

Outside:

Inside:

Southern Cross:

Outside (under Construction):

Inside (almost finished):

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
^^^
Very nice pics of London and Melbourne termianls and platforms!

BTW, this one under construction is huge! :runaway:

·
25,365 Posts
Moscow has 9 main central stations.

Paveletskiy: 11 platforms

Kievskiy: 12

Belarusskiy: 11

Savelovskiy: 6

Rizhskiy: 5

Leningradskiy / Yaroslavskiy and Kalanchevskaya station: 29
3 Central Stations square

Leningradskiy

Yaroslavskiy

Kazanskiy: 17
(opposite on another side of 3CS square)

Kurskiy: 15

·
47,170 Posts
Leipzig Hbf

It's not the most busiest railway station in the world but it's one of the biggest in size.

It's 300 meter wide and has an area of 83.640 m²

Intercity/ICE trains, daily - 100
Regional trains/S-Bahn trains, daily - 248
Number of passengers and visitors, daily - 150.000
Shops and horeca - 140
Number of tracks - 26
Size of the platforms - 68.782 m²
DB Automaten - 20
Parking spaces - 1.254

It's still a terminus but in 2009 the Leipzig City Tunnel will be opened, connecting Leipzig Hbf with Leipzig Bayerischen Bahnhof running under the innercity.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very impressive. What about Liverpool Street & Blackfriars? What about Monteparnasse? What about Vienna? Amsterdam? Roma? And how about a photo from Tokyo?

What about Beijing?

·
Bring Constantinople back
16,561 Posts
Vapour said:
1 Shinjuku, Tokyo 3,458,000 daily passengers (10 lines served by 7 railway companies)
That means 1,26 billion / year: that's 7 time Paris-Nord !!!
Very impressive.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I was going to suggest some per capita statistics here. Unfortunately my country thinks oil spurts out of a hole somewhere, connected to an endless reserve, and burning it makes no difference.

Who wins here? London? NYC? How about Wellington NZ ? or even Johannesburg?

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
momochan said:
Leipzig Hbf

It's not the most busiest railway station in the world but it's one of the biggest in size.

It's 300 meter wide and has an area of 83.640 m²

Intercity/ICE trains, daily - 100
Regional trains/S-Bahn trains, daily - 248
Number of passengers and visitors, daily - 150.000
Shops and horeca - 140
Number of tracks - 26
Size of the platforms - 68.782 m²
DB Automaten - 20
Parking spaces - 1.254

It's still a terminus but in 2009 the Leipzig City Tunnel will be opened, connecting Leipzig Hbf with Leipzig Bayerischen Bahnhof running under the innercity.
Now that's a terminus !!! Probably only a handful of rail-sheds here, but the weather is much better here.

1 - 20 of 743 Posts