SkyscraperCity banner

161 - 180 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
IMO St Pancras is the granddaddy of them all, but my personal favorite would be Leipzig Station, mostly for its massive multiple trainsheds:

recent photo:

interior shots:

·
Keep your head
16,474 Posts
That's not entirely true. Many EC's (EuroCity) have Milano Centralo as terminus en also the Pendolino from Switzerland goes until Milan.

About the station:

- Long waiting lines (+- 1,5 hour)
- Bad maintenance
- Insufficient modernisation
- Low platforms

It's an amazing building but all of the above makes me even like Roma Termini more :p.
Haven't been there recently, have you? it's completely different now. The restaurations are still ongoing but the effect is already astonishing

·
16,855 Posts
I think the Central Station of Amsterdam deserves a spot in here :shifty: Or Gare du Nord in Paris, both famous stations and really old style :)

·
Keep your head
16,474 Posts
Last time was August 2006 :).
THis is how it is today...please notice constructions are still ongoing...I think they will finish by the end of the year. Many new areas have been opened and the old ones cleared and cleaned

The main gallery (at the level of rail tracks): this is not completely cleared of the old shops, but already looks very good

New areas (soon shops will open here)

the external gallery with the new metro entrances

·
Banned
3,543 Posts
I think nobody posted pics of BA's station yet.

Here you have Constitucion Station, 1 station 2 styles (the French part was partially demolished for building a megalomaniac art deco structure, but the 30s crisis stopped the construction; now we have 2/3rd of the old station and 1/3 of "new" art deco station)

1907-1929:

now:

interior:

·
Banned
3,543 Posts
BA's Constitucion Station

NY Grand Central

they look quite similar isn't it?
althought BA's station is more impressive.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm a big fan of Berlin Hbf as well. It is fairly recent (2006), so not everyone may have visited, but I can very much recommend a visit. One of the most spectacular stations today.

Also, I really like St Pancras; but I'm not sure if it is fair in a one-on-one comparison, since a large part of the historical building was constructed as (and is renovated to become) a hotel. It would be like calling London Bridge the most beautiful station because the Shard is on top of it.

·
Banned
3,543 Posts
you should be curious about geography and politics first! maybe then about royal families...

The Hague is the de facto capital of Netherlands, and among 150 other international organisations it's the siege of International Court of Justice and related orgs, and NATO and Europol.

Said that, BA is the scribal abbreviation for Buenos Aires, but I´m not sure you now what/where it is.

161 - 180 of 193 Posts