1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Franks Research said:
most dangerous: Nyc
safest: Tokyo
And Nyc Subway is most dangerous why?
You can't just say that unless you have witnessed something while using it. And Btw the thread is about the worst accidents to occur in the subway where you live. Not which ones you think are the most dangerous.

·
Whatever
45,866 Posts
other than a couple of people committing suicide, I don't think any major accidents have ever happened in Lisbon.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Philadelphia's worst subway accident occurred on March 7,1990 when a traction motor detatched from the undercarriage of a Budd built M-3 car on the Market-Frankford El, causing the train to derail.

Four people aboard the train were killed when the tunnel support beams split the cars open.

·
Registered
195 Posts
New York's worst subway accident:
11/01/1918 - A dispatcher, filling in for striking motormen, loses control while entering the tunnel at Malbone Street (Empire Boulevard) and 97 are killed, with 200 injured. (The worst accident in subway history.) The Malbone Street Wreck.

New York's most recent accident resulting in death (obviously not including people jumping in front of trains etc.):
06/05/1995 - A Manhattan-bound J train driven by a motorman on his final run of an overnight shift slammed into the rear of a M train stopped on the Williamsburg Bridge, killing the motorman, injuring more than 50 passengers. Investigators conclude that the J train ran a red light at high speed, and that the spacing of signals and poor performance of the trains brakes contributed to the crash.

http://www.nycsubway.org/faq/accidents.html

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
Anyone know the deadliest (if any) railway accident in Hong Kong? Of course, excluding suicides.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
More recently there was a crash on the Central Line, which closed that line for several months. 32 people were injured when a train carrying 800 passengers jumped the tracks and hit a wall at Chancery Lane station.

·
Registered
760 Posts
superchan7 said:
Anyone know the deadliest (if any) railway accident in Hong Kong? Of course, excluding suicides.
I dont think there was any major accidents in HK resulting in death. I know there there was a drunk man back in December 2004 that caused a train to caught fire while going from Jordan to Tsim Sha Tsui. No one was killed or seriously hurt.

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
It's not my city...but...I've got one for Chitown:

On February 4, 1977 the worst accident in "L" history occurred at the sharp curve on the Loop elevated at Wabash Avenue and Lake Street. The motorman of an Oak Park-bound Lake-Dan Ryan train had just made the normal stop at Randolph/Wabash and failed to trust that, as the result of a delay, there was a Ravenswood train stopped just ahead at State/Lake, despite the what his automatic cab signal system told him. He proceeded under 15 mph (thus overriding the automatic braking that would normally occur when disobeying a cab signal), ramming the Ravenswood train. Worse yet, he reapplied power against the immovable train while on a 100 ft. radius curve, causing the cars the buckle, lift up and three of them to fall off the tracks while a fourth hung off the structure, still coupled to the rear four cars. Eleven people died (the headline's number was later revised) and over 180 were injured

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
On August 10, 1903: Station "Couronnes" of the Parisian metro, 84 people died (Fire in a train, toxic smoke...)

Since then, no major accident: Paris' subway is quite safe...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Last year a plastic bag fell on the tracks in the Copenhagen Metro, stopping the whole system. Not really an accident, but I think that's almost impossible. The system will simply shut down if anything happens, though, of course something could happen

·
Registered
69 Posts
On March 26, 1985 a train running on Buenos Aires subway line D between stations Plaza Italia and Scalabrini Ortiz derailed and crashed into a wall killing 4 people

·
Banned
337 Posts
I think it was the one involving a motorman negotiating an underground garage here who ended up crashing and dying in the resultant fire that burned too intense to approach for a period of many hours -- 28 cars were lost.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
197 Posts
sfgadv02 said:
I dont think there was any major accidents in HK resulting in death. I know there there was a drunk man back in December 2004 that caused a train to caught fire while going from Jordan to Tsim Sha Tsui. No one was killed or seriously hurt.
wasn't it when it was crossing the harbor from TST to Admiralty?

1 - 20 of 193 Posts