SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me, it's three hours. In March (or April) 2001 I was on a train to Stratford, in England. We planned it as a day trip.

Things got out of hand when the train stopped somewhere, and there was no announcement of anything. I did see crews with Railtrack vests walking back and forth, and it was about three hours before the train started moving.

Needless to say the train short turned the next station and we took a shuttle bus the rest of the way.:bleep:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
2 and half hours from Tonbridge to Tunbridge Wells in rush hour. Train got stuck on some leaves, and blew a moto carr, the two remaining motor cars couldn't drag the weight on the slippery leaves up the hill. Had to wait for another train to reverse up to it and help drag it along. The lengthened train was the longest train I've ever been on though - 24 car EMU!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
karlstad-stockholm
1min 30sec delay.
the train driver announced it from before and apologized again on arrival.
the delay was bc of repair works in some tunnels

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,367 Posts
5 hours of delay in a train from Málaga to Barcelona in 1992: 1000km in 17 hours, instead of 12 hours!
:eek:hno:
Cause: 2 suicides.
:runaway:

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
Suicide at a station on my line from home to the city, my train was probably the second train behind the one train involved in the incident. It was the middle of peak hour, driver announces that the train is going to terminate at the next station with terminating facilities. Because it was the start of peak hour, it took the best part of an hour to get buses in place - the regular bus companies have all their buses out on regular route service or school runs.

Even then, it's hard to transfer a continuous flow of trains carrying up to 1000 passengers each onto a buses that carry about 75 people at most. A 40 minute trip ended up taking more than 2 hours.

And this is why Connex and Yarra Trams are starting to sue drivers of cars who get into accidents with trams and trains - the tram almost always has right of way, and well it's just stupid to get in the way of trains but people still do it all the time at level crossings.

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
I spent 2.5hrs waiting at Sunshine in Melbourne, Australia for a steam train trip once, was delayed due to faulty points and had to go via another route!

Another incident on that line was at Sydenham (Watergardens), went on a train there as I had never been there before in April 2005 on a public holiday, went for a walk and went to catch a train back. Found out the train I caught collected someone at a pedestrian crossing about 2kms away on it's way back to the CBD, sat in a freezing cold waiting room with around 30 other passengers for 90mins until one bus finally showed up and took us 5km to St Albans station, could have walked in that time.

·
Registered
896 Posts
4 hours, from London Euston to Harlech (Wales) we arrived on the last train around 23:30 and then had to find the campsite in the dark. Not the most pleasant ride so to say.

·
Error
5,783 Posts
2 hours for me. I went to Antwerp as a day trip, and as soon as we got on the train in Antwerpen-Berchem, the driver announced that we would still be waiting for at least an hour because of an accident with a car near the dutch border. This became 2 hours eventually.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Before the central N-S railway through Australia was converted to standard gauge and laid on a better easement, it was not uncommon for "The Ghan" from Maree (north of Port Augusta) to Alice Springs to be held up for several days by floodwaters ... in the desert!

Although I travelled to & from Alice Springs by this train, it was after the relaying and regauging of the track, and the train ran on time.

·
billieron
598 Posts
my worst delay was my very own mistake, or just stupidity. missed my last train home when i was pretty drunk at a saturday, unfortunedly trains start there schedule later on at sundy, not so early as in a regular weekday, luckely i wasn't alone, oherwise it would be very boring, and lonely to wait all night long on the next train, i'd could have taken a bus, but nightbusses to my hometown almere are only moving from a few stations on a major walk (for a drunk) from the central station, we just slept until the first train, must have been an hour of 6 or so

·
Super Moderator
21,701 Posts
My one hour commute to work (Shrewsbury-Birmingham UK) once took me three and a half hours because of a suicide on the track.

That must be the worst delay. Delays of 10-20 minutes happen once every two or three weeks but the service is much better than it was in the dark days of the british railways 5 or 6 years ago.

·
Registered
740 Posts
There have been lots of delays for me to choose from here in the UK.

Once between London and Newark there was a delay of 2 hours on a 2 hour journey.

There used to be regular delays between Barnsley and Sheffield a few years ago turning a 25 minute journey into one that could take an hour. I was once travelling through India from Assam back to calcutta and the train was delayed due to Rain for a week!

·
Stockholm rules!
1,740 Posts
Between bath and london. 5 hours delay, made me miss my ryanair flight which cost me another 200 euros! I am never taking the train again if i go to the uk!

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I went from Milan to Rome last year and the guy said "sorry, we're going to be 12 minutes late to Roma" after leaving Firenze.

·
BUND
4,045 Posts
I went from Milan to Rome last year and the guy said "sorry, we're going to be 12 minutes late to Roma" after leaving Firenze.
yeh... surely thats normal? your worst delay!!!?

ive been on trains loads of times where they are like 5 mins delayed and they apologise but then normally make up the time over the rest of the route.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I often travel by train to city, the worst delay was like about 30mins.. because of a blackout and longhaul train worst delay only 15mins (ICE, from Linz to Vienna)

·
lim x->0 (10/x)
17 Posts
As far as delays go, here's a poem I read long, long ago.

By S. Marshak
I knew a man from Petushkee
As muddleheaded as could be.

He always got mixed up with clothes;
He wore his mittens on his toes,
Forgot his collar in his haste,
And tied his tie around his waist.

What a muddle head was he,
That man who lived in Petushkee!

They told him as he went about:
“You’ve got u’r coat on inside out!”
And when they saw his hat, they said: