Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Oh bugger
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't frequent SCC as much as many of you, but am I a miserable sod, a realist? or something in-between?

In my defence I love this city, but can't help but think that we are held back by pie in the sky thinking and a lack of real creativity - not the stuff that comes out of publicly funded agencies.

Sorry in advance if its a downer. :(

·
BAND
12,222 Posts
I don't frequent SCC as much as many of you, but am I a miserable sod, a realist? or something in-between?

In my defence I love this city, but can't help but think that we are held back by pie in the sky thinking and a lack of real creativity - not the stuff that comes out of publicly funded agencies.

Haha, I think possibly somewhere in-between ;)

There's no denying that there's currently a large slump in apartment sales and values or that developers are finding it difficult to find funding for their developments, but we shouldn't let this get on top of us and shadow all the great stuff that's going on in Sheffield.

Personally I don't think this will be a long drawn out slump. Obviously a few projects will suffer but for every one that goes under, there are plenty steaming ahead. We've seen two central apartment schemes (both with ridiculously small apartments) kick off in the last month or so, so there are people out there still willing to invest.

So far the only real cases we know of in Sheffield where there are problems are City Lofts - which was a national company so unlikely to be a direct effect of the Sheffield development (they've been having big problems shifting units elsewhere yet City Lofts tower has sold reasonably well - as well as you can expect from a 300+ apartment scheme off plan) - which will still go ahead, and Merlin - who from what I have seen really haven't been the most 'sustainable' with their developments (too small units in areas not attractive enough to buyers?).

In the long run hopefully this dip will have some good consequences. Developers may finally realise that they can't get away with building stupidly small apartments for 'single young professionals' and will branch out into larger units which will have a broader appeal hence a more stable market.

We'll have to wait and see what happens, as no-one really knows, but IMO there's no point dwelling on it all as it will just make thing worse...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

I wouldn't say that you're a miserable sod, I just think that you're more pessimistic than a lot of other posters.

·
Oh bugger
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paulmat, there's a few more than City Lofts in trouble right now in Sheffield, and I do mean proper trouble, not just feeling the pinch.

However, I do tend to agree (hope?) that I don't think that it will last too long, but the pain will be incredibly intense while it does. In the meantime we've geared up to do some bottom feeding.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Should we really have started a new thread just to debate the question "Is Take Me Higher a Miserable Sod"?

Come New Year, I think we should have a Skyscraper City Sheffield awards. One of the catagories could be "most irrelevant thread".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts