Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summary:

many days ago, the media anounced that a boat carrying 153 asylum seekers was 300 km off Christmas Island. The Minister for Immigration, in his usual fashin, declined to comment ... allegedly he only gave announcements on "significant matters" ( as determined by him).

It's alleged that another boat approached Christmas Island; that refugees from India were transferred to the the Sri Lankan Navy; that the Sri Lankan Navy denied this ..

And that 11 "detainees" of Vietnamese origin- children- "escaped" in Adelaide- and for some days have not been recovered.

Leaving aside the matter of someone who was killed ans someoneone who lost their on Manaus Island ... on account of being transported their, by the Immigation Minister of Australia.

Perhaps I'm the only one who finds this disturbing. A death several months back; and still no charges. Lose your eye? well bugger you. 11 kids missing? Who cares? And a couple of boats- 153 + whoever - well, good old Scott will will tell you something about it if or when it suits his purposes.
Face it ... I've called him the "Eichmann" of Australia, and he deserves it.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
many days ago, the media anounced that a boat carrying 153 asylum seekers was 300 km off Christmas Island. The Minister for Immigration, in his usual fashin, declined to comment ... allegedly he only gave announcements on "significant matters" ( as determined by him).

It's alleged that another boat approached Christmas Island; that refugees from India were transferred to the the Sri Lankan Navy; that the Sri Lankan Navy denied this ..
Habeas Corpus by and large doesn't apply for this scenario.

Refoulement is the issue here. You can't summarily interview someone and return them on that basis. We get to Godwin's Law very quickly discussing this issue, because to not process these people properly is an order of magnitude worse a human rights violation than to force an Afghan who traversed three countries already back one of the previous two.

·
Registered
938 Posts
It's amazing the amount of co-operation a seat at the security council can leverage.

Well worth the money spent to attain.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look ...

I'm an old Guy. And I'm profoundly disturbed by this line that "we don't comment on "Operational Matters". Check it out ... over and over again ... the same crap ... "We won't let you know, because that might inform the 'People Smugglers'."

Well, it's bullshit. If whoever agreed to convey people from Indonesia to Australia, for a price, then so is the Manly Ferry.

People are entitled to seek refuge here- and arrive by what everr means they chose. Don't give me the crap that we are so concerned about people drowning at sea, that the current Government spins out ... total, utter, bullshit.

I'm an old Guy. It disturbs me greatly that the current Government- after a week or so- has yet to provide any statement at all regarding what has happened to the two boats alleged to be off Christmas Island.

Morrison- if you ask me- should be thrown out of the Ministry- and thrown out of Parliament- for Dereliction of Duty: as a Minister, to the Australian Public.

I've heard so many references to "Operational Matters" (which we "don't comment on"). What's an "Operational Matter"? Sorting through your Mail? Isn't actually everything the Government- and you or I- do, an "Operational Matter"?

Australia, you need to wake up ... everyone knows that boats were intercepted off Christmas Island, but a week later, no-one knows what happened to these people. Did Scott Morrison order them exterminated? You wouldn't know, because, the Government doesn't comment on "Operational Matters" ... and Morrison would certainly erradicate the evidence.

·
Registered
585 Posts
In all honesty most people don't care because well... they don't care.

I personally don't give a shit about my elderly Grandmother, so why should I care about a bunch of foreigners?

·
Registered
938 Posts
That's a matter of opinion old Guy.

10s of thousands of people go missing in this country each year and I don't hear you banging on about them.

Over a thousand people died at sea under the previous regime, if anything Morrison deserves a medal for preserving life.

Why are you not repulsed by a 1000 deaths under a different government?

You don't need to know "operational matter", because you aren't an employee, the government does not have to run everything past you first.

If you don't like it, you can vote against them at the next election, but you know what the number 1 item they will pride them selves on, we stopped the boats.

I don't understand why you don't get it, they told us what they were going to do before they came into power "stop the boats".

Guess what, that's what they are doing.

The only one here that needs to wake up is you.

Look ...

I'm an old Guy. And I'm profoundly disturbed by this line that "we don't comment on "Operational Matters". Check it out ... over and over again ... the same crap ... "We won't let you know, because that might inform the 'People Smugglers'."

Well, it's bullshit. If whoever agreed to convey people from Indonesia to Australia, for a price, then so is the Manly Ferry.

People are entitled to seek refuge here- and arrive by what everr means they chose. Don't give me the crap that we are so concerned about people drowning at sea, that the current Government spins out ... total, utter, bullshit.

I'm an old Guy. It disturbs me greatly that the current Government- after a week or so- has yet to provide any statement at all regarding what has happened to the two boats alleged to be off Christmas Island.

Morrison- if you ask me- should be thrown out of the Ministry- and thrown out of Parliament- for Dereliction of Duty: as a Minister, to the Australian Public.

I've heard so many references to "Operational Matters" (which we "don't comment on"). What's an "Operational Matter"? Sorting through your Mail? Isn't actually everything the Government- and you or I- do, an "Operational Matter"?

Australia, you need to wake up ... everyone knows that boats were intercepted off Christmas Island, but a week later, no-one knows what happened to these people. Did Scott Morrison order them exterminated? You wouldn't know, because, the Government doesn't comment on "Operational Matters" ... and Morrison would certainly erradicate the evidence.

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
If your alive you know where you are...so your only missing if someone else doesn't know where you are if they care...but why should you tell everyone you know where you are at any given time ? Use facebook or shut The F#ck up....

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I reckon redbaron is Scott Morrison. That would explain the failure to communicate properly, being angry most of the time and the unquestioning loyalty to the Liberal Party.

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
What we have here is a failure to communicate...

Cool...huh...hand Luke ; )

·
5,255 Posts
It is indeed a very sorry state of affairs. When you are asked a question by the people who you represent you are obliged to give an answer.

As redbaron mentioned - failure to communicate. This generates resentment and feeds the rumour mill. If you have nothing to hide, then why not discuss? If you don't know, then say it. If there are matters that are confidential, limit what you say but say what you can to provide a degree of reassurance.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
It is indeed a very sorry state of affairs. When you are asked a question by the people who you represent you are obliged to give an answer.
Not necessarily, there is a difference between public curiosity and public interest.

·
Registered
938 Posts
When you are asked a question by the people who you represent you are obliged to give an answer.
After all, you pay their wages, right?

finn, this is a bit bigger than ordering a meal at a restaurant and demanding great service.

It amazes me sometimes that people think they are so important that they need to be briefed on everything.

Go brief yourself of the 1200 lives lost at sea (including children).

To assume that they have been exterminated is just retarded.

If they exist at all, I would say they were returned back home and work from there.

Have your say in 2 years, vote them out.

Till then this is how they roll, get used to it.

Here's the score card.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
^^ If the question being asked was number of people returned back to the horror from which they came, the tally would appear to be in the opposite.

·
5,255 Posts
After all, you pay their wages, right?

finn, this is a bit bigger than ordering a meal at a restaurant and demanding great service.

It amazes me sometimes that people think they are so important that they need to be briefed on everything.

Go brief yourself of the 1200 lives lost at sea (including children).

To assume that they have been exterminated is just retarded.

If they exist at all, I would say they were returned back home and work from there.

Have your say in 2 years, vote them out.

Till then this is how they roll, get used to it.

Here's the score card.
How do we know this is the case? Who has certified this figure? Just because nobody says anything doesn't mean nothing is happening, good or bad.

Unlike you I am not deeply devoted to one particular party or another. It doesn't matter who is in power, every relationship requires an appropriate level of communication. Only simpletons could be happy with the "out of sight out of mind" mentality.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Why are you not repulsed by a 1000 deaths under a different government?
I am repulsed by the 1000 deaths at sea Hegemonic but it would seem unlike like your good self I am also repulsed by the millions of refugees who continue to face trauma, hardship, violence, exploitation, degradation and death by other means. Australia has sadly reduced its refugee intake so can not take any high moral ground on refugee matters. I always enjoy your large simplistic posters on the so called success of stopping the boats because I reckon the bigger the poster hopefully the bigger the guilt that it is trying to hide. Politically short term it works well for the Liberals but does nothing to resolve the refugee crisis engulfing the planet and I believe future generations will look back on Australia's action with shame.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts