SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its from here, but you have to register and get accepted....
http://p083.ezboard.com/ftorontoskyscraperforumfrm12.showMessage?topicID=1708.topic

I'll just quote what he said.

You heard it here first.

I was on a panel with my good friend Mayor McCallion last night and I'm pleased to annouce that the City of Mississauga will be moving forward with plans to build an LRT along Hurontario Street.

The crowd burst out in loud appluse when this annouced.

City officials will be meeting with the transportation firm Semens next week and will ask for a concept plan for an LRT line along Mississauga's and the 905's most urban and busiest corridor.

This would be a priority project along with the BRT line that already has provincial funding of $225 + milliong and is awaiting matching Federal funding.

The Mayor made it clear that the subway will NEVER be extended to Mississauga, because it is far too expensive. LRT and BRT is the wave of the future.

I hope to present more details soon, but this is a major step forward for Mississauga's transit system.

Louroz

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Thats great news for Miss. Is this goibng to be a true rapid transit system like CTrain or just a nicer looking streetcar?

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ssiguy2 said:
Thats great news for Miss. Is this goibng to be a true rapid transit system like CTrain or just a nicer looking streetcar?
Honestly there isnt enough details yet. It will probably be a hybrid like Houston has, mixes in with traffic but also has its own ROW in spots. Thats just a guess though.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Wow! This is great news! And none too early either. They could have started this 5 years ago, if they wanted to.

I'm not certain how LRT works, but an LRT on Hurontario would have to be mixed with traffic south of MCC, since their are a lot of developments that require access to the street, including some houses south of the QEW. North of MCC, there is much less of this, so an LRT can be fully separated from traffic. Around MCC, it will likely have to tunnel underground or be elevated to connect to the transit terminal. Otherwise, they will have to move the transit terminal itself.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
hey, i doubt this will happen, but they should run it all the way up to Brampton. How cool would that be?

Damn it all, Hurontario deserves a subway. A line that connects 3 nodes (Brampton downtown, Mississauga Sqaure One, and Port Credit).

I guess I live in a fantasy world. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Brampton's Acceleride is not an LRT project, it is BRT. They might still develop BRT on Main to connect to this LRT, but I think it is much better to work with Mississauga get this LRT built all the way to Downtown Brampton. Such an LRT would actually connect 5 major nodes/terminals: Port Credit, Cooksville, MCC, Shoppers World, and Downtown Brampton. It would connect to Queen St (Highway 7), which is Brampton's and York Region's rapid transit line.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Be nice if there was one across the 401, so you could go from say mavis all the way to markham road, with offshots down all the major roads. IMO this would significantly reduce traffic on the 401.

·
Midtown Fella
5,282 Posts
LOL Highway Median transit systems scare away passengers. Allen Rd.

Mississauga=Sprawl at its peak

Bahh, who cares.

What the whole GTA needs to look at tho is you take stats on where the cars are comming from, and where thier destination is. Don't just build it along busy roads.

But thats my opinion.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Building it like the Spadina ROW won't do much. It will certainly make the route more reliable but not any quicker. It would get stuck at all stop light, crossing traffic at main intersections.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Good for Mississauga. It would be benificial for the TTC if Mississauga was to connect this LRT to Kipling so that Islington could have some pressure lifted off of it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
^ I think the TTC should extend B-D subway along Dundas to Hurontario, while MT builds LRT lines on Burnhamthorpe and Bloor.

Hazel McCallion and Susan Fennell should quit their bitching and work together to have this Hurontario LRT built all the way to Downtown Brampton.

LRT should be built along Dixie as well, from Bramelea City Centre all the way to Long Branch, to connect with GO Train and TTC streetcar. Along the way it would connect to extended B-D subway.

Both Dixie and Hurontario LRT would connect to Brampton's and York Region's so-called rapid transit line along Highway 7.

Both would connect to Lakeshore Rd too, so an LRT there might not be bad idea either. It is the most urban corridor in Mississauga after all.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
^Agreed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts