SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a bus today with the skin on it that said "Mississauga Transit Ready To Grow". Anyone have any clue what that is about? Maybe this is a sign that the LRT is coming? I HOPE SO :D

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Well they were studying an LRT system on Highway 10, and the Translink has got funding. So they should be expanding their transit options......

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Those buses have been floating around for about a month now. I don't think there's anything too special about them, just trying to boast about Transit and the city. I think they're like the "Moving Forward" light post banner things that were put up around City Hall- pretty and a nice change of pace. I have a feeling that the City might announce a huge "Urban Growth Plan" during the next two years. With the PPS Report, the LRT report and other little urban/city/outside reports coming out I wouldn't be surprised if they made one mega plan combining everything and announce it next year and make a big media fair about it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think "Ready to grow" is just referring to the fact that MT has been buying a shit load of new buses. They bought 72 buses last year, 53 buses this year, and is planning to buy 78 buses next year. In total, 35 of these buses are "growth" buses meaning they add to the bus fleet and allow MT to improve service instead of just replacing existing buses.

Also, 2008 is the year MT's Ridership Growth Plan starts being carried out and from then on MT will be buying 15 growth buses a year (instead of 8). So in the next few years you can expect a lot of changes to the current transit system even before the LRT gets built, and I think that is what that bus wrap is referrring to cuz it is has had it for a while, even before the rumours of an LRT.

There is a video on the MT website that explains some of this.

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
strange. i take the bus a lot, and walk around the city centre a lot as it is where i live and i've never seen this skin on the bus until just now.

i dunno i think it means more, i think something is in the works more short term than long term that hasn't been announced yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
MT Ready To Grow

That bus was part of a public relations launch back in March when they opened the expanded City Centre Terminal and GO Terminal. As many of pointed out, it also marks the purchase of dozens of new buses, expanded routes, and the recently approved funding for the BRT and studies for the LRT.

LRT planning and public consultations will begin this summer. Stay tuned!

Louroz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts