SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the province put in its 1/3rd, the city is ready to put in its 1/3rd, but it doesnt look like the feds put in their 1/3rd... what happens now? Will 2/3rds of the system be built until the final 1/3rd can be found... or will it just be a flop again?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
phunky said:
probably will just go on as planned the same way the ttc plans on going ahead with their extension to york region.
I was thinking about that. COuldn't both the TTC and MT start their respective projects with the 2/3 funding they have and in the mean time save up 1/6 each to pay for the remainder of the project. If and when the Feds ever cough up the money they can use it replace the 1/6 each party used to complete the project.

In terms of the York U subway to Vaughan City Centre, how much is York Region going to pay? Since the unannounced section would be entriely within York Region, couldn't they pony up the cost of the line from Steeles to Hwy. 7? Meaning the TTC can go ahead with their plans to Steeles West (which is roughly 2/3 of the extension to Hwy. 7 anyway).

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Depending on who you to listen the money is either there or not. Flaherty sent the letter to Duncan saying that all money for the subway would be there before the feds announced their budget. I think that the the Transitway already has the money from my interpretation of the budget and I doubt that the city would delay construction if the money isn't there. Let's face it, this project has been on the books for over 35 years (predating Hazel's reign- yes there was a time before Hazel) so I think the city is eager to get it started. The part that sucks though is that this will only be the eastern section. Once everything is done I'll begin to celebrate.

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
GREAT NEWS!

THE MISSISSAUGA NEWS
Ottawa kicks in funds for Transitway

Radhika Panjwani
Mar 3, 2007

The federal government is set to announce it will pitch in its share of $65 million for the much awaited, but long delayed, Mississauga Transitway.
The announcement will be made next week.

The City already has received $65 million from Queen's Park for the project and has earmarked $ 66.5 million for the bus lanes that will extend along Hwy. 403 and Eastgate Pkwy., from Burnhamthorpe Rd. to Eglinton Ave. E.

Director of Transportation and Infrastructure Wendy Alexander from the City of Mississauga told The News that both the province and the City had paid up their share of the total cost, but Ottawa had yet to come through.

“The BRT piece is essentially waiting for a signal from the federal government,” Alexander said. “We were hoping to receive funding through the latest federal budget, which we clearly did not receive. We're talking with the federal government to see if we can get that process moving more quickly.”

The 16-kilometre, 16 station route will travel from Ninth Line (Ridgeway) in the west along Hwy. 403 to Cawthra Rd. From Cawthra Rd., the bus route will travel along Eastgate Pkwy. to Eglinton Ave. W. into Toronto and end at Eglinton West subway station.

The BRT stations would consist of platforms, pedestrian walkways, Kiss & Ride areas and Park & Ride lots.

The BRT will carry 5-10 thousand people per peak hour.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot about this thread...

So in the news article it says it will connect with Eglinton West subway station...

Is that a mistake? Traffic on Eglinton is INSANE during rush hour. It will take over an hour to get to Eg-West.

I live 10 minutes away from the station yet it takes over half an hour to get to it during rush hour.

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
I forgot about this thread...

So in the news article it says it will connect with Eglinton West subway station...

Is that a mistake? Traffic on Eglinton is INSANE during rush hour. It will take over an hour to get to Eg-West.

I live 10 minutes away from the station yet it takes over half an hour to get to it during rush hour.
Hmm I dunno. I thought that was strange as well. It makes sense though. And also the transitway is supposed to be a seperate road entirely. There is no room for that in many places on Eglinton once in Toronto...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
^ The Eglinton West portion from what I know (unless it changed) is suppose to be part of the larger GO Transit BRT Plan and is suppose to be a tunneled BRT line (my guess instead of the Eglinton West line which at one point was suppose to run all the way to the Mississauga Border when fully extended). From what I know, Mississauga will be letting off at the New Kipling Terminal. I'm not sure the exact route the buses are suppose to get there but I believe that part of the GO plan calls for HOV/Bus only lanes on the 427 but who knows.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news from the Star this morning regarding the transitway...

"In Mississauga, Mayor Hazel McCallion cautioned the busway planned for her city won't be ready until 2009."

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Now the question is whether that's the full busway or only the section the city is respondsible for and add on the delays that will plauge construction (let's be honest, nothing ever comes in on time) and the cost overruns and it should probably be ready in early 2011. I hope they go full out on the stations though and create some buildings we can be proud of. Basically, we just have to make sure they avoid whoever designed the City Centre Terminal who was smart enough to decided two single person escalators, and three sets of door into the building would be sufficent enough until 2015. But good news that this is all finally happening (hopefully).

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
Wow ready by 2009. Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that we were looking at a 2010 or later date?

I think 2009 is totally feasible. Building a road doesn't take that long. And if they're building all the stations at the same time it will totally work. All the plans are probably already made. Just the actual work needs to start.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Is this going to be a true Transitway like Ottawa's or just fancy buses on bus-only lanes, although admittedly that would too help?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is this going to be a true Transitway like Ottawa's or just fancy buses on bus-only lanes, although admittedly that would too help?
It will be a seperate roadway dedicated to buses... with stations, kiss n ride, and park and ride facilities.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder if the funding for the transitway includes money for buses. Will the city be ordering new buses for the transitway, or does it just plan on using what we have?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The current funding doesn't include a lot. The City wants 30 articulated buses (about $750,000 each) but those aren't included. They're including bus ramps at most stations so that local buses can use it (well, local to express) It also doesn't include the full grade seperated "road" between Mavis and Erin Mills. From the sounds of it, the buses will use the current bus lanes on the 403 instead, which will be interesting to see. I imagine this seciton being one of the most expensive parts of it, considering that a brdige for the Credit River and Valley will be $$$ as anything, and will likely face opposition from environmentalists (thank god most live in TO tho :-D )

1 - 20 of 27 Posts