Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Member #109
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi German folks :hi:

I have visited your lovely country a number of times in recent years and made several threads with photos from Germany. I've been encouraged to post some of the photos here in the German section, so that's what I now plan to do. Most of them have been posted in the "Urban Showcase", but they date back to 2005 so are way back on the pages.

I'll post some 5-10 photos from each of my 5 threads, then you can visit the threads themself should you be interested in seeing more. Let's get started, I'll begin with the newest and work my way back in time:

First up is Hamburg (117 photos) which I vitied in the Easter this year. A little selection from my trip with the comments from the original thread (that's why some of them might seem a bit strange):

8: Next to it there's an small model of the inner city:

10: City Hall from the top of St. Petri:

39: Hmm what to do when you can fit the building in the photo...

50: Hamburg has a great U and S bahn system, if you get tired of walking:

59: Another view:

80: You also see a lot of sightseeing busses in Hamburg:

81: Lonely swan in the Binnenalster lake:

92: Nice with some cold toe dipping on a warm spring day:

106: And again, just from the opposite angle. Seems like a great place for drinks and dinner when the weather is like this:

Next up we have a trip to the Alps (30 photos) back in the summer 2008. Only about half of it is from Germany (the rest from Switzerland) and it's almost at the border to Austria. Also a few from Hannover on the way back home:

20. Again the great view form up there:

23. From the cablecar I got a few more views of the Castle, although I wish I had brought some bigger lenses:

26. Evening view over the area from close to the Castle itself. The mountains at the far left is in Austria while the rest is Germany:

28. And now to something completely different. On the way back home I decided to spend one night in Hannover (which I also visited some years ago - thread). Here the cool NORd/LB (Norddeutsche landesbank) building by Behnisch:

29. And finally 2 shots of "Das Neue Rathaus", just next tot he NORD/LB building. This was one of the reasons why I chose Hannover for the night. Last time I was there it started to rain before I got all the shots I wanted:

Time for Berlin (148 photos) which was the location for my summer holiday back in 2007. My first visit to the capital and what a great one it was. Not all the photos have comments, I'll add them for the photos that have:

1: Reichstag Building, which is the home of the German Bundestag. The big dome is by Sir Norman Foster:

20:

26: The new Hauptbahnhof:

38: From The Berlin Hi-Flyer. Quite nice view from up there (150 m):

42: Potsdammer Platz

45: Sony Center:

53: Berliner Fernsehturm, which is 368,03 m tall. It was qiute bad weather when I was up there:

61: The Olympic Stadium, which recently underwent a major renovation:

66: Inside Daniel Libeskind's Jewish Museum;

78: KNUUUUUUUUUT!

125: Skyline view:

Second last thread is from the Frankfurt Wolkenkratzer Festival (60 photos) back in the spring 2007. I've visited Frankfurt several times, always enjoy it <- Being the skyscraper nut I am:D Unfortunately no comment in this thread:

For the last of my Germany trip we're back in 2005. I spend one hot summer day in Hannover (37 photos). My sister worked there at that time, and I was just visiting her shortly. Therefore the short time in the city:

6: Some nice old buildings close to the Marktkirche (97 m):

10: Hannover is a city with a lot of art. Here are cars hanging under some large elevated road:

13: The Kreuzkirche:

24: Some views from the top of the Rathaus (City Hall):

30: The Rathaus itself. It is 98 m tall and was completed in 1913:

That's it, hope you liked my little German tour. I know I've enjoyed every single trip I've had there. :cheers1:

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
I am not German but I have to say that the quality of your pictures is exceptional. Thank you for sharing them.

I have been to Frankfurt and Berlin as well already, even though that was years ago and only for a short time, so I missed out most of the highlights ;)

I am truly impressed by Hannover to be honest.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
As I said already in the Hamburg thread in the international forums you're definitely blessed with some photographic talent.
Thanks for posting your fantastic pics here in the DWF as well.

Unfortunately, the link to your Alps thread doesn't work, maybe you can repair it?

·
Very nice, how much?
2,084 Posts
:applause::applause::applause:

Fantastic! I think I've already put a comment in your international Hamburg thread but every single city here is shown just perfectly! Thanks for posting!

:cheers1:

·
Alphaist
5,055 Posts
Excellent pics and photographic skills :applause:

·
Banned
516 Posts
I already commented your Hamburg-thread. Had no idea you also have some other kickass-threads of other german towns.
You have a really good eye for nice views. :bow:

·
Banned
516 Posts
Nerver mind my silly post.. you also mentioned it in your pic description..
:hammer:
LOL, MLM's pics are like boobs. You can't stop staring at them and therefore don't notice anything else. :crazy:

·
Member #109
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi again German friends,

I'll spend a few days in the Rhein-Ruhr area during easter. I'll be watching a football and an icehockey game, but otherwise I have nothing planned. Any good suggestions for "must see" things? I don't think I'll spend a lot of time in the cities, visited both Bonn, Cologne, Düsseldorf, Essen and Bochum previously. I'm thinking more something like the old mining/industrial complexes or such. Tips for good viewing points are also very welcocme. :)

·
LIBERTINED
45,346 Posts
I already applaused for your photos elsewhere, but they're worth it again: :applause: Good work!

·
LIBERTINED
45,346 Posts
I'll spend a few days in the Rhein-Ruhr area during easter. I'm thinking more
Since "Ruhr" as a metropolitan area is European capital of culture and if you're interested in some of the events connected to it, check this: RUHR2010

If you're really interested in industrial heritage I'd recommend this in addition: Völklingen Ironworks / Völklinger Hütte

It's not part of the proposed route as it's a bit off the beaten track (in the Saarland actually), but maybe you want to come around a bit.
You could catch a glimpse of the beautiful Rhine Gorge (middle Rhine valley / Rheintal - UNESCO heritage, just like the ironworks) and Moselle River on your way there. :) It's really enjoyable in a comparatively short time span.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts