Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those who don't know modal split is a percentage of people using a certain form of transportation. So what is the modal split(or share) in your country? Can be either for commuting or for general purposes. I do one for my hometown Baltimore:

86% drives an automobile(77% drives alone, 9% carpool),
6% Transit
0.33% Bicycle
3% Walking
5% Other

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
It's very hard to find any data regarding modal split in my country of Latvia. I only found data for the capital city - Rīga.

2009 modal split:
35% cars
35% public transport
29% walking
1% cycling

2011 modal split:
19% cars
49% public transport
29% walking
3% cycling

I wouldn't trust this data much though. Although the overall trend is probably correct.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
As I said, I wouldn't trust that percentage very much... But if we are talking about the actual number of cyclists (this data is very precise) then that has grown 5 times in the 2008-2014 period! :)

But because of the unreliable percentage data, I can't tell if they are mostly people who used to drive a car (a decrease in traffic congestion) or who used to use public transport (no effect on congestion).

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I couldn't find data on my own town, Leiden, but the 2010 figures for nearby Amsterdam are supposed to be:

38% cycling
30% public transport
28% car
4% walking

I strongly suspect these are numbers for the municipality of Amsterdam alone though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts