SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
User
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently at the skyscraper museum and got a peek of the original WTC model created by Yamasaki and his staff back before when the Towers were in development. I figured it'd be interesting to compare the two models.

Here's a comparison of the original Yamasaki WTC model and the WTC II model.

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Technically, that's the 3rd Yamasaki model. The first had what was to be 5 & 6 WTC combined into one midrise. Also the lowrise buildings had a difference face with gothic influences similar to the first few stories of the towers. The plaza was also markedly different, with a garden in place of the eventual fountain. The Second had 5 & 6 separate, with minor improvement to the plaza. The thrid model, the sole survivor, was configured very closely to the eventual complex.

They're both beautiful models though. I'd like to see them side by side in a museum some day.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Very nice. In the second picture the "low-rise" is obviously nicer. Also note that the angle the pictures were taken from are different. I believe (not sure however) that the first picture is as it would have been looking like from the east, and the second picture as how it would look like from the west.

Rebuild!

·
Registered
30 Posts
savethewtc said:
I was recently at the skyscraper museum and got a peek of the original WTC model created by Yamasaki and his staff back before when the Towers were in development.
How did they let you take that pic? When I was there, the security guy sitting right next to the model was really strict with it... No pics.

·
Professional
764 Posts
ah look...one is a thoughtful design with many layers and excellent details inspired by islamic architecture...

the other is a empty shell with little or no spirit surrounded by what looks like resort hotels

1 - 8 of 8 Posts