Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we tend to manage to moderate ourselves pretty well on here. Most of us seem mature and sensible enough to be either constructive or candid (without malice) and overall I think it works.

There is a case for some official Moderation however as I believe there is one fairly disruptive regular on these boards who really "doesn't help."
This clown obviously survives via the good-nature and forbearance of the sane majority.
As for myself however, being fairly new and possibly less "involved" I don't feel the same obligation to pussyfoot around this so Liverpolitan, in the absence of a proper Moderator who might be able to rein you in, I honestly believe you could benefit this forum by taking your seemingly endless neurotic "intriguing," hysterical reactions and girly back-biting elsewhere?

How many people do you *cringe* pretend to put on your Ignore List?
How many times do neurotically attack someone for some bizarrely imagined personal "slight"?
How many times do you pass around deflammatory pm's about members?
Do you really think your constant gossiping and smear campaigns attract people to this forum?
Do you think your inability to react with anything approaching sanity regarding the "M" word, Manchester, reflects well on this board?

I don't think so.

Liverpolitan I can think of very few sane individuals who would ever want to form an "official" grouping with the likes of you anywhere near it, hence rest assured this 21CLiverpool concept won't ever happen. Thanks.
I've always stood up for the oddities and the eccentrics of this world, but are limits however and boy, do you abuse them.

So "Moderation" then:
Someone who can put an end to the crap and maximise the sanity and decency of the place.

I nominate anyone from:
Tom
Martin
Juxt
Paul
Bammy

...or anyone else who comes here a lot, has the strength and the decency to call people when they're being knobs, pals or not, whoever they are.

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
I'm honoured by your nomination but......

I wouldn't wan't to do it, sounds like a load of hassle, and someone is going to be unhappy with your moderating actions. I tend to keep out of arguments between people...:runaway:

I also agree it would have to be someone who isn't allways going on about Manchester this, London that, agenda the other, i.e. someone impartial. (P.S. I'm not thinking of anyone in particular).

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
The Liverpool forum has been reasonably calm for ages now, we used to have constant dramas and bannings. I know a few still try to stoke up old vendettas, but as long as the majority ignore that nonsense then hopefully they will pack all their multiple troll-IDs into suitcases and piss off to some other forum. Gareth hasn't had a great press, but he did sort out some thorny troll issues (and those remain an issue), and also defended this forum against what used to be regular visits from nasties who just came to pick fights. So I hope if he does decide to resign, we are told, so people can thank him for the good work he did.

Whilst those who really need new developments to inspire them are obviously a bit frustrated at the moment, and I hope they get a nice one soon - those who are more interested in wider issues about urbanism etc seem quite happy to see how the current spate of developments look as they complete and how they succeed. They all will succeed, its only a question of to what extent and when that seems to be discussed. Who was it who used the word "infill" recently? I thought that more or less hit the nail on the head - we might hopefully see some really nice and high quality and interesting infill developments, there are loads of empty and barely used sites within the centre that could use such investment. So we might start taking a greater interest in smaller developments, if there are not many big new developments in the pipeline.

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Liverpool forum has been reasonably calm for ages now.
The brass-neck of this guy.

He's just spent all day politicking, attacking people and conniving across two boards then he tries to tell us it's "been calm."
(B.t.w. Poli's replies must be via e.s.p. since I'm one of the many supposedly on his Ignore List.)

Poli if you're recieving this from those etheriel smoke signals your using, the message is this: if you stay we'll need a Moderator, you do the decent thing and leave then we won't have to bother. Capiche?

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
...comes here a lot, has the strength and the decency to call people when they're being knobs, pals or not, whoever they are.
my speciality I think ;)

...seriously, I think last night was a watershed for Manchester in particular, and hopefully for Liverpool. I've been saying for a while that I think it's pants that the debates here and there have either been stifled or, just had the fun ripped right out of them.

I used to look forward to logging on and discussing (or arguing) stuff (bollocks sometimes) passionately with like minded people... I wouldn't have bothered last night, if my good friend Longford hadn't been outrageously banned... (I was in a hotel in Bath on holiday btw - that's how much it bothered me).

I haven't spoken to him but I strongly suspect that like me he couldn't be arsed to put time and effort into creative posts, simply because we have all been living with some mild fear that our hard work will end up in foxy's bin. Well, hopefully we will see a welcome return to creative and passionate posting again...

:soapbox:

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my speciality I think ;)

...seriously, I think last night was a watershed for Manchester in particular, and hopefully for Liverpool. I've been saying for a while that I think it's pants that the debates here and there have either been stifled or, just had the fun ripped right out of them.

I used to look forward to logging on and discussing (or arguing) stuff (bollocks sometimes) passionately with like minded people... I wouldn't have bothered last night, if my good friend Longford hadn't been outrageously banned... (I was in a hotel in Bath on holiday btw - that's how much it bothered me).

I haven't spoken to him but I strongly suspect that like me he couldn't be arsed to put time and effort into creative posts, simply because we have all been living with some mild fear that our hard work will end up in foxy's bin. Well, hopefully we will see a welcome return to creative and passionate posting again...

:soapbox:
Shit! I really liked Longford.

Who's Foxy? Is that (B)admin?

One of the golden rules about organisations, (and life in general) is that without good management, everyone gets fucked.

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
Shit! I really liked Longford.

Who's Foxy? Is that (B)admin? yes

One of the golden rules about organisations, (and life in general) is that without good management, everyone gets fucked.
Longmember and myself were unbanned fairly quickly by one higher up the foodchain. As I say I haven't spoken to Longsilence, so this may well have been the final straw for him... actually **** it, I'm gonna phone him right now and see how he is.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Not being funny here, but I don't see why Bammy should be nominated as moderator on the Manc forum, let alone the Liverpool one. I have never seen even a single post by the man relating to arhcitecture or 'urbanism'.

Isn't that a prerequisite round here, for christ's sakes? Why are these forums even called "Skyscraper City"; at least 50% of the posts don't even relate to these things.

No offence to Bammy, he seems nice enough, but can't these forums and its representatives champion urban/architecture/place related issues? It would also be nice if we could have someone who is friendly, easy going, and pro discussion. And when I say "pro discussion", I mean someone who doesn't perpetually delete posts and threads, and lock threads, and ban/brig members in a sly and underhand manner (without having the maturity to discuss such things first openly)- Not referring to anyone in particular... Honest.

I also think mods should be intelligent; ideally they will have an IQ of 140 or more. Oh, and someone who is genuinely interested in the subject matter and the area they represent, e.g. someone who posts photos regularly, etc.

Anyway, that's my two penneth worth. :cheers:

My nominations:

LPOOL: Juxta (Sound, great photos, regular poster, interested in buildings etc); Martin S (steady, won't cause any problems); Doug (Very nice man, great photos, loves the city, easy going); Woody (same reasons as Doug). Rank outsider: Me :hahaha:

MANC: Highriser (nice bloke, never been nasty about Liverpool, and posts lots of photos); John Reid (also seems like a decent lad); Longford (knowledgable about architecture, seems sound.) Rank outsider: Bammy (Nice enough bloke.)

·
Registered Abuser
2,834 Posts
ideally they will have an IQ of 140 or more.
That's some strange criteria isn't it? I doubt most people have their IQ tested, infact I think alot of people dismiss it as a reliable form of measuring interlligence. Out of interest, have you had your own IQ tested, if so, and are you a mensa member?

·
Registered
909 Posts
That's some strange criteria isn't it? I doubt most people have their IQ tested, infact I think alot of people dismiss it as a reliable form of measuring interlligence. Out of interest, have you had your own IQ tested, if so, and are you a mensa member?
I was only joking on that bit. But in answer to your question, my IQ is approximately 500. I set myself a test yesterday and got all the answers right. :cheers:

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not being funny here, but I don't see why Bammy should be nominated as moderator on the Manc forum, let alone the Liverpool one. I have never seen even a single post by the man relating to arhcitecture or 'urbanism'.

Isn't that a prerequisite round here, for christ's sakes? Why are these forums even called "Skyscraper City"; at least 50% of the posts don't even relate to these things.

No offence to Bammy, he seems nice enough, but can't these forums and its representatives champion urban/architecture/place related issues? It would also be nice if we could have someone who is friendly, easy going, and pro discussion. And when I say "pro discussion", I mean someone who doesn't perpetually delete posts and threads, and lock threads, and ban/brig members in a sly and underhand manner (without having the maturity to discuss such things first openly)- Not referring to anyone in particular... Honest.

I also think mods should be intelligent; ideally they will have an IQ of 140 or more. Oh, and someone who is genuinely interested in the subject matter and the area they represent, e.g. someone who posts photos regularly, etc.

Anyway, that's my two penneth worth. :cheers:

My nominations:

LPOOL: Juxta (Sound, great photos, regular poster, interested in buildings etc); Martin S (steady, won't cause any problems); Doug (Very nice man, great photos, loves the city, easy going). Rank outsider: Me :hahaha:

MANC: Highriser (nice bloke, never been nasty about Liverpool, and posts lots of photos); John Reid (also seems like a decent lad); Longford (knowledgable about architecture, seems sound.) Rank outsider: Bammy (Nice enough bloke.)
I think the mix is ok at the moment.

You're right that not a lot of the posts are about "skyscrapers" per se (we don't have any do we?), but the vast majority are about development and your "place related issues."
The strength of this place is it's focus, as opposed to the more "homely" environs of Yo ,which, I would say has a lot more of the "chat" you seem to think this place has.

Another strength of SSC is the ability to initiate complex and intellectual discussions. Whether they always stay that way is another matter.

This crap about IQ is typical you though isn't it? I'll wager you're about the 120 mark.

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Villiers, there's a Villiers on RAOTL. Is that you?
You're the third person on here to ask me that.

No, that's not me.

I was someone else on Yo for a couple of months before I got tired of a certain notorious character calling me a "pretentious ****," then came on here.

I also have a further hom...sorry nom-de-plume on the Shanklygates but this is the only place I use Villiers on.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts