SkyscraperCity banner

1601 - 1620 of 1724 Posts

·
23,306 Posts
I find it very hard to believe SA has more shopping malls (in terms of numbers or area) than India, Brazil, Indonesia, Mexico etc. Even Germany or Australia. SA simply is not that rich. Even if 100% of consumer spending was done in shopping malls I'm sceptical we would even rank in the top 10. I'm not sure accurate global data is even available.
The stats come from the International Council of Shopping Centres, so they must be pretty accurate.

·
22,632 Posts
According to that list: 1) US 2) Japan 3) Canada 4) UK 5) China.

https://businesstech.co.za/news/lif...-how-many-shopping-malls-are-in-south-africa/

I find it very hard to believe SA has more shopping malls (in terms of numbers or area) than India, Brazil, Indonesia, Mexico etc. Even Germany or Australia. SA simply is not that rich. Even if 100% of consumer spending was done in shopping malls I'm sceptical we would even rank in the top 10. I'm not sure accurate global data is even available.
Wealth isn't the only factor. Europe is not big on malls at all, street-level shopping is far more popular. South Africa seems to have a bigger mall culture than the United States, even tiny local malls seem top-notch with fancy stores and restaurants. In Egypt the quality of malls deteriorate significantly once you start looking at smaller, local shopping centers.

·
Super Moderator
12,869 Posts
the United States

In the US the mall culture reached its peak in the late 80s and early 90s, right now thanks to Amazon prime, Ebay and all the other same day,two day shipping options..... malls are officially history.There's still many malls, but definitely a far cry from the glorious past they had.

Here are just a few abandoned malls, and this is just in my area alone.

Fredrick Mall

White Flint Mall

Owing Mills Mall

PBS explains the Rise and Fall of The American Mall

Just like phone booths, big shopping malls are quickly becoming antiquated in the US.

·
Super Moderator
12,869 Posts
Here the trend in the suburbs which used to host so many huge malls spread out all over..........is for development of CBDs which then host plenty of street level shopping/entertainment options.

So now instead of those huge malls, all the suburbs which used to host the malls I posted above, have their own downtowns.

For example instead of going to the white flint mall, most residents of Bethesda now go to downtown Bethesda for a movie or fine dining.

·
ⴰⴱⴷⴻⵍ ⵁ&
3,734 Posts
Tangier | Socco Alto Commercial center | Morocco

Tangier (6)
by imrane azzouzi, sur Flickr

Tangier (7)

Tangier (8)

Tangier (9)

Tangier (10)

Tangier (22)

Tangier (11)

Tangier (12)

Tangier (13)

Tangier (14)

Tangier (15)

Tangier (16)

Tangier (17)

Tangier (19)

Tangier (20)

Tangier (21)
by imrane azzouzi, sur Flickr​

·
Super Moderator
12,869 Posts
For cities like Nairobi and Mombasa I would also prefer street level stores over malls but if they wanna have malls they can have them at the new railway stations where the malls would give the station the required revenue to maintain the stations and give the railway stations some class.

Same here, unfortunately seems like Kenya is going the mall mania direction but there's some hope in the new railway stations and mixed used developments like the new upcoming Hilton Towers, Montave Towers etc, hopefully this will help take things in a different direction.

·
Registered
16,765 Posts
Wealth isn't the only factor. Europe is not big on malls at all, street-level shopping is far more popular. South Africa seems to have a bigger mall culture than the United States, even tiny local malls seem top-notch with fancy stores and restaurants. In Egypt the quality of malls deteriorate significantly once you start looking at smaller, local shopping centers.
No way SA >> Brazil. Impossible.

Brazilians love shopping malls and its pop is 200 million and mean wealth in Brazil far exceedes SA.

·
Registered
16,765 Posts
Same here, unfortunately seems like Kenya is going the mall mania direction but there's some hope in the new railway stations and mixed used developments like the new upcoming Hilton Towers, Montave Towers etc, hopefully this will help take things in a different direction.
Not a single nation in SSA has significant high street shopping. Well i mean the high st shopping there is tends to be of 'low quality'.

1601 - 1620 of 1724 Posts