Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a thread for a modern architecture from Baltic states (architecture since 2001). Everyone can post pictures but they have to be:

1) your own photos

2) quality photos

Let's make a stunning showcase of what we got in Baltic states in terms of contemporary architecture.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This building is located in Kaunas centre. Quite surprising one, would suit in some street in Barcelona, for example. I'm not sure I would want to live in it, but it's appearance from the outside is very effective, imo.

Another nice one, with it's character, in Kaunas centre:

Large seaside building in Parnu

·
3:36
2,841 Posts
so... the buildings we're supposed to post here don't need to be examples of good architecture? otherwise you wouldn't have posted that one from pärnu, right? : P

anyway, i'll have much free time next week, will see what i have in my collection. as a starter, here's two good buildings: one from tartu and the other from right outside tartu.

seb office building, architects emil urbel and andrus mark.

a private residence, architect raivo puusepp (he also did that pärnu building above...)

these photos are a few years old, and sorry for the small size, i had forgotten about the limits of the host.

·
Landscape Architect
71 Posts
Great start for a thread Vecais! Just one question, what do you mean by modern? It looks like you are interested in seeing recently built (maybe last five years or so) projects, but some people might think Modern or "Modernist" which could be from the 1950's onward.

Keep up the excellent posts and threads!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Jarmo K - I think here we could post mostly "good examples" of modern architecture, but also buildings which cannot be ignored because of their landmark character, like the one from Parnu.

@Into - Let's stick to the 21st Century buildings - so all those buildings who were finished since 2001.

·
3:36
2,841 Posts
^ look at the first photo of this building. the whole development - and it's huge - is filled with buildings like that in the background, cheap, bland and boring catalogue houses in pastel or grey tones. and now, among these, bang! - the black sheep. we cannot look at a building as an object in itself, we need to look at its broader context. i love how it coolly kicks the ass of all its neighbors while respecting the constraints and regulations of the village-development.

·
always on
4,825 Posts
^ look at the first photo of this building. the whole development - and it's huge - is filled with buildings like that in the background, cheap, bland and boring catalogue houses in pastel or grey tones. and now, among these, bang! - the black sheep. we cannot look at a building as an object in itself, we need to look at its broader context. i love how it coolly kicks the ass of all its neighbors while respecting the constraints and regulations of the village-development.
while generally I agree with your assesment, it interests me if its just your conjecture...? Or in broader terms, is the architecture done by the architect, or later by the architectural critic?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts