Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I´m about to embark on a journey around Eastern Europe and I was hoping to solicit some help in finding good modern architecture in the region.

My itinerary is as follows:

Vienna - Austria
Budapest - Hungary
Bukarest - Romania
Soffia - Bulgaria
Skopje - Macedonia
Pristina - Kosovo
Kotor - Montenegro
Sarajevo - Bosnia-Herzegovina
Ljubljana - Slovenia
Venice - Italy
Chur - Switzerland
..where I will rent a car and then drive through the alps to Basel and fly out.

It has been easier to locate good architecture in Switzerland, Austria and Italy but I do appreciate any suggestions so that I won't miss anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I have got so far is mostly in Slovenia (except for Switzerland and Austria of course)

XXS house by Dekleva Gregorič

House SB in Ljubljana by Bevk & Perovic

Faculty of Mathematics in Ljubljana by Bevk & Perovic

and a few houses more by Bevk and Perovic
Dutch embassy residence
Subsidized housing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
other houses I have found in Slovenia which look interesting are:
The New Public Library - by A.Biro in Grosuplje
Tus Shopping Center - by Marjan Zupanc in Celje
Hotel Sotelia - by ENOTA in Podcetrtek

·
Basarabia e Romania
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
please find that trully architecture that represent each city/country and show similarities/differences between them.
Bucharest has it s mostly good modern architecture in the north, i sugest u a tour begining from Baneasa airport, Charles de Gaulle Square, Romana Square, Unirii Square, Victoriei Boulevard, Victoriei Square, Arcul de Triumf Square, airport.
don t miss the surroundings for modern houses, especialy the Dorobanti area.

·
Basarabia e Romania
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
What I have got so far is mostly in Slovenia (except for Switzerland and Austria of course)

XXS house by Dekleva Gregorič

House SB in Ljubljana by Bevk & Perovic

Faculty of Mathematics in Ljubljana by Bevk & Perovic

and a few houses more by Bevk and Perovic
Dutch embassy residence
Subsidized housing
BTW, the first house i saw it in a romanian magazine, and the second one is just beautyfull. cool combination between wood and metal. simple but still amazing shape that gets out of the first floor.
true european architecture.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Go to Ohrid in Macedonia if you can...just a short 2 hour drive from Skopje.
Bitola too if you're in no rush...
he's looking for modern architecture and whatever little we have of that it's in Skopje.

Lumiks which is a small commercial project U/C in the city center is the only think that comes to my mind for recomendation. As far as I remember it won some award on the Venece architecture bienalle some years ago. Hopefully they will finish it by the time U come here.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=12601228&postcount=3

There are various modern objects scattered around the downtown but IMO non of them sticks out as something revolutionary, just nice glass fascade buildings.

However U will find some fine brutalist examples from the 70s in Skopje.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Thanks Dewrob, good input, could you be more specific on the Brutalist examples? Where to look, and how to get there?
the center of Skopje is not too big. I'd focus on the post office complex, the University complex. The railway station is also a unique example for this part of the world. The national theatre is a project that U either love or hate.
The downside is that some of these are not maintened all that well especially the railway station. However as architectural works they are usually interesting to professionals. All the things I mentioned are within 30mins walking distance at the most from the main square (Square Makedonija) which should be Ur starting point. That project I mentioned in the previous post, Lumiks as well as the Post office complex are visible and almost adjancted to the square.

Other interesting objects would be the Archive of Macedonia which is in the western suburb of Karpos 4, maybe the student dormitories near to it and the hydrometorological institute which is a bit outside the city near the exit towards Pristina.

I can get even more specific if U insist about the locations.

:cheers:

·
Banned
2,235 Posts
The downside is that some of these are not maintened all that well especially the railway station.
The railway station is currently undergoing a renovation. It starts to look much better from the outside and the works inside are under way also.

Other interesting objects would be the Archive of Macedonia which is in the western suburb of Karpos 4,
Are you sure?

I thought that was the archive of the city of Skopje. According to the pic in Encyclopedia of Yugoslavia, the Archive of Macedonia is that building next to Sudska Palata

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
The railway station is currently undergoing a renovation. It starts to look much better from the outside and the works inside are under way also.
so I heard but I'm not too excited about it. I want to see sustainable devlopement, if everything gets screwed up again soon, than it's just a waste of money.

Are you sure?

I thought that was the archive of the city of Skopje. According to the pic in Encyclopedia of Yugoslavia, the Archive of Macedonia is that building next to Sudska Palata
U are right I messed up. Still the recomendation stays for the same location.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dewrob said:
the center of Skopje is not too big. I'd focus on the post office complex, the University complex. The railway station is also a unique example for this part of the world. The national theatre is a project that U either love or hate.
The downside is that some of these are not maintened all that well especially the railway station. However as architectural works they are usually interesting to professionals. All the things I mentioned are within 30mins walking distance at the most from the main square (Square Makedonija) which should be Ur starting point. That project I mentioned in the previous post, Lumiks as well as the Post office complex are visible and almost adjancted to the square.

Other interesting objects would be the Archive of Macedonia which is in the western suburb of Karpos 4, maybe the student dormitories near to it and the hydrometorological institute which is a bit outside the city near the exit towards Pristina.

I can get even more specific if U insist about the locations.
Are any of these buildings by Kenzo Tange? I guess the railwaystation is. If you have more info to share I would appreciate it, locations as well. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Are any of these buildings by Kenzo Tange? I guess the railwaystation is. If you have more info to share I would appreciate it, locations as well. Thanks again.
Kenzo Tange is the creator of the masterplan for the Skopje center. He doesn't have any specific buildings in it but all that I pointed out were built in the spirit of his plan and if I'm correct in some cases supervised and approved by him.

As for the locations here is a map of Skopje marked in latin script, I'll just give U the coordinates for the specific objects we discussed.

- Post office, marked as MT Mobimak on the map D3
- Macedonian natonal Theatre marked as M.N.T. D3
- Lumiks is not marked but it's right next to GTC (which is also interesting BTW) in the direction of the square in D3
- Railways station marked with a picture in E3
- University complex as Univerzitet Sv. Kiril i metodij in E2
- Hidrometorological institute as Hidrometeorloski zavod in B1

The student dormatories and the archive of Skopje are in the covered part of the map in A2 and A3

http://www.aerodrom.gov.mk/Images/skopjemapagolema.jpg

·
18,593 Posts
Awful building ...

·
Basarabia e Romania
18,442 Posts
^^ The architect is Russian ... :nuts:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.