SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
18,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feasability Study for New Ethiopian Expressway Underway

A feasibility study to construct a parallel toll road between Modjo and Hawassa is being conducted by the Ethiopian Roads Authority. The study, undertaken by experts from the Ethiopian authority will support a detailed design for the new express way.

The feasibility study for the new toll road was commenced in response to the increasing traffic flow between Modjo and Hawassa according to sources at the ERA.

The authority, however, has yet not fixed a date to begin construction in the foreseeable future explain ERA officials.
Ethiopia’s first expressway, the Addis to Adama Toll road, is presently under construction by CCCC, China Communications Construction Co at an estimated cost of 612 million US dollars. The project, financed by the Chinese Export and Import Bank, began in April of 2010 and is expected to be finalized in the beginning of 2014.

The Addis Ababa to Adama expressway is designed for the busiest highway in the country as part of the Addis Ababa to Djibouti route.

ERA plans to extend the Addis Ababa to Adama expressway to Awash in the east although this plan is not to be put into effect soon. Awash is part of the road route to Djibouti although the highway between Adama and Awash does not see as much traffic as registered between Addis Ababa and Adama.
Source

·
4,162 Posts
I'll just repost what I posted in the Roads Dev. thread..

Mojo-Hawassa Expressway (Toll Road)
  • MoFED looks for Mojo-Hawassa toll road financing
By Muluken Yewondwossen
Tuesday, 24 January 2012 07:33

The Ministry of Finance and Economic Development (MoFED) is to find out if it will obtain financial support for the Mojo-Hawassa (Awassa) toll road project from the Korean government in the coming two months, Capital learnt.

Tilahun Tadesse, Director of Governments’ Cooperation Directorate of MoFED, told Capital that the ministry office that requested financial support from South Korea for the new expressway project in November 2011, believes support will be obtained shortly. “We informed them that we need to secure the finance straight away to enter into the project within a short period,” the director said. “Even though there needs to be political commitment from Korea, we expect to get final approval in two months time,” Tilahun added. The director indicated that the solicited money is substantial but he declined to disclose the exact amount.

He also said that it is hard to determine how much progress has been made so far. The Ethiopian Roads Authority (ERA) is currently conducting a feasibility study to construct a parallel toll road that will stretch from Mojo to Hawassa. The study will help undertake a detailed design work of the new expressway that is assumed by ERA’s own staff.

The Southern Nation, Nationalities and Peoples’ Regional State capital, Hawassa, is 200 Km south of Mojo town and Mojo is 73 Km east of Addis Ababa. This 200 Km expressway is to become major high traffic highway like the 99 Km Addis-Adama road.

The Addis-Adama toll road, which is Ethiopia’s first expressway, is currently under construction by China Communications Construction Co (CCCC) at a cost of USD 612 million. Recently, ERA officials told Capital that the traffic flow on the route from Mojo to Hawassa is increasing. “This is the reason to launch the feasibility study for the new expressway,” they said.

read the rest @ capitalethiopia

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
^^ I didn't know they already start construction on this road .I thought they just secure the fund from South Korea :?

·
Surprisingly optimistic!
12,420 Posts
^^ I didn't know they already start construction on this road .I thought they just secure the fund from South Korea :?
AfDB approves finance for Mojo-Hawassa expressway
Capital Ethiopia [link]
December 6, 2013

The African Development Bank (AfDB) has agreed to partially finance the Mojo-Hawassa express highway that will be constructed with additional funding from the Ethiopian government and the South Korea Exim Bank.

Ethiopia asked South Korea to finance the construction of a new expressway stretching from Mojo to Hawassa.

AfDB approved USD 126 million for the first phase of the 56km road, which will be the Mojo-Meki section. AfDB will also provide a USD 2.44 million fund to help the Ethiopian Road Authority (ERA) build its capacity. The government will contribute the balance of the USD 99.10 million to fund costs, local taxes, resettlement compensation and other expenses.

The proposed loan of USD 100 million and the government’s USD 22 million will fund the construction of the second section, which runs from Meki to Zeway (37km). The total cost of the road going from Mojo to Zeway (Batu) is USD 349.51 million.

The 209 km Mojo-Hawassa Highway project will be implemented in two phases. Phase I consists of the construction of 93km of a new asphalt road divided with four lane between Mojo and Zeway towns.

The project will be implemented in five years. The Mojo-Hawassa highway lies mostly in Oromia Region and is part of the major Mombasa-Nairobi-Addis Ababa highway project and is expected to facilitate local agri-business and international trade.

The current Mojo-Hawassa road is dilapidated and has only two lanes. The road section forms a link in the route from Cape Town to Cairo.

The current capacity is insufficient to cater to the growing traffic demands, including heavy international traffic. In this respect, the Bank (AfDB) has already invested in the construction of 1,000km sections of the Mombasa–Nairobi-Addis Ababa Road Corridor in both Kenya and Ethiopia. The Mojo –Hawassa highway project continues the extension program and when completed in 2019 it is expected to greatly enhance national and regional trade.

Currently, about 25 percent of the road sector development in the country is covered by donors.

A 2012 data indicates that the World Bank is the largest donor, contributing 9.2 percent of the total disbursements, followed by the EU (6.2 percent), China (3.9 percent) and the AfDB (2.0 percent).

The new Addis-Adama toll way is the first in the Nation and is expected to be completed by the end of the current budget year according to Samson Wendimu, public relations head of ERA.

The Authority also hopes to expand the expressway to Awash from Adama.
http://www.afdb.org/fileadmin/uploads/afdb/Documents/Environmental-and-Social-Assessments/Ethiopia - Modjo – Hawassa Road Project Phase I - (Modjo- Zeway Road Section) - RAP Summary.pdf

ROI ends in two days:

http://www.afdb.org/fileadmin/uploads/afdb/Documents/Project-related-Procurement/Ethiopia - Design and Build of Modjo-Hawassa Highway Project - Phase I-Modjo-Zeway - Lot I-Modjo-Meki (56 Km) - EOI.pdf

Also:

-1,000,000 trees to be planted along the route.
-Road safety awareness campaign
-HIV awareness campaign
-Gender quota "mainstreaming"

Worryingly, however, no news about the contractor. I suppose we only can hope and pray- as we should- that it ends up being Korean and not Chinese, that we get a real expressway and not an embarrassing excuse for one. One would think the reports past would hold true, but the favouritism for Chinese companies this government has cannot be underestimated.

·
Registered
835 Posts
It was surprise for me also. This part is probably funded by money for Addis Abeba-Adama motorway. From latest image of Google Earth (Nov 2012) you can see that they have cleared path for future motorway from Addis-Abeba-Adama motorway until the small river south from Modjo. And the construction site is the same place were it's crossing the road. Google Maps have image from 2009 for same area.
Pictures were made at the end of November. So they have started this construction much earlier.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Ethiopia: Modjo-Hawassa Highway Project to Launch Soon
Written by Meraf Leykun Published on 02 January 2014 Category: Latest Business Alerts

Preparations are underway to launch the construction work on the 4-lane dual carriageway Modjo-Hawassa highway project, Walta Information Center reported citing the Ethiopian Roads Authority (ERA).

The 210-km highway project will be implemented in four phases.

The first phase consists of the construction of Modjo-Meki new asphalt road and the second phase includes the construction of asphalt road between Meki-Zeway, according to the Ethiopian Roads Authority.

The third and fourth phases of the project consist of the construction of new asphalt road between Zeway-Arsi Negele and Arsi Negele-Hawassa.

The construction of the 56-km Modjo-Meki new asphalt road will be financed by the African Development Bank (AfDB) and the government of Ethiopia.

Financing agreement in underway between the government of Ethiopia and the Korean Exim Bank for the construction of the 37-km Meki-Zeway road, the Authority's Communication Director said.

The World Bank and the Chinese Exim Bank has also shown their interests to finance the construction of the 55-km Zeway-Arsi Negele and the 62–km Arsi Negele-Hawassa roads, he added.

Source: Walta Information Center

·
Registered
835 Posts
They did not! I think Vaste is mistaking the new [Addis-Djibouti] railway project for something else.
It could be. I have no idea where the new railroad would be located.

I'll add the map from Google Earth

modjo by vatse, on Flickr

Modjo is on the left, Modjo Dry Port at the center and the location of this construction site was between Dry Port and Modjo. You can see path of cleared surface starting just south from road and going until small river at the south. This bridge was at the northern end of this path where it's crossing with road.
Sadly they haven't updated the image of this area for more than year.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Ethiopia secures $100 mln from Korean Bank

Addis Ababa, 18 June 2014 (WIC) -

The 100 million dollar loan promised by the Korean Export Import (EXIM) Bank to finance part of the Modjo-Hawassa high way project is secured by the government of Ethiopia.

The loan agreement was signed with the Bank and a bill for its ratification was approved by the Parliament on last Tuesday, June 9, 2014. The 218-Km long Modjo-Hawassa high way will be constructed in two phases.

The first phase, which is estimated to cost 350 million dollars, will cover a distance of 93Km. It stretches from Modjo to Ziway. This phase is, in turn, divided in two lots.

The construction of lot one, which run from Modjo to Meki, will be constructed by the 128.5 million dollar loan already secured from the African Development Bank (AfDB).

The recent loan obtained from the Korean EXIM Bank will be used for the construction of the second lot of the first phase of the road, which 37 Km long, extending from Meki to Ziway, according the loan agreement.

The loan from the AfDB and Korean EXIM Bank covers a sum of 228.5 million dollars out of the total cost needed for the construction of phase one of the road, which covers the distance from Modjo to Ziway.

The remaining amount of the cost of construction will be covered from the coffer of the government. (diretube.com)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

Below: I saw this new big highway being built in the town of Modjo last week. At first, I thought it was part of the new Modjo-Hawassa Expressway. But then I was told that it is just a highway within the town of Modjo connecting the Addis-Adama Expressway with the town center and the old bypass road. I guess tiny little Modjo is styling then.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts

Below: I saw this new big highway being built in the town of Modjo last week. At first, I thought it was part of the new Modjo-Hawassa Expressway. But then I was told that it is just a highway within the town of Modjo connecting the Addis-Adama Expressway with the town center and the old bypass road. I guess tiny little Modjo is styling then.

Mojo is expanding very fast due to the factory and warehouse building construction, and that is where the dry port is located too.

·
Surprisingly optimistic!
12,420 Posts

What is this supposed to be, above? It is not in Ethiopia.

·
4,162 Posts
That's an expressway in India btw (Yamuna), not sure why it was used.

On another note, it is quite impressive..hope we get something similar for Modjo-Hawassa

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

This is the image I was trying to post yesterday----the new road in Modjo;

·
4,162 Posts
Modjo-Hawassa Expressway kicks off by impact assessment

Addis Ababa, 26 January 2015 (WIC) - The Ethiopian Roads Authority (ERA) has completed the environmental and social impacts and Resettlement Action Plan for the 202km Modjo-Hawassa Expressway.

The civil work of the project is to be financed by the Ethiopian Government and four other financiers namely the African Development Bank, World Bank, the Korean and the Chinese Export Import (EXIM) Banks.

The reasons such as high traffic in the area which is beyond the capacity of the current road, the frequent accident in the road, pollution in towns because of congested traffic, and the failure of the existing road to accommodate the traffic flow to the area initiated the construction of the expressway.

The study and design of the Modjo- Hawassa expressway was awarded to Techniplan International Consulting firm with the studies to be further reviewed by Ethio-Infra Engineering PLC.

The new road will be the connection the country will have with the 10,000Km Cairo- Gaborone- Cape Town highway and to alternative ports in the south route.

Fortune

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Ethiopia: ERA Awarded Mojo – Hawassa Expressway for Keangnam

The first lot for Mojo – Hawassa Expressway project, which stretches for 93 kilometers, is awarded to a South Korean construction company, Keangnam Enterprises Limited, by Ethiopian Roads Authority (ERA). Workeneh, Gebehu, Ethiopia’s Minister for Transport, explained the firm won the bid for the first lot of the entire 209 kilometers.

Even if Keangnam has won the bid the agreement between ERA and the company is not yet concluded.

The project is going to be financed partially from a loan that will be secured from the South Korean Government. The difference will be covered by a state funding and the project is expected to commence in the current fiscal year.

Upon completion a toll road is expected to connect the capital city of Ethiopia, Addis Ababa, with the capital of the State of Southern, Nations, Nationalities and Peoples.

Samsun Wondimu, Public Relations Head at the Authority, explained Keangnam is going to handle the first phase of the project that stretches from Meki to Batu (Zeway).

For the first segment of the entire project that is 56 kilometers, Mojo – Meki road section, African Development Bank (AfDB) approved a USD 126 million loan. The federal government on the other hand is going to contribute USD 99.1 million to fund costs, local taxes, resettlement compensation and other expenses.

In addition to this AfDB is also going to provide USD 2.44 million for the purpose of helping ERA build its capacity.

Tender is also floating for a toll road project that stretches from Mojo to Meki, Samson noted.

The entire Mojo – Hawassa Highway project is going to be 209 kilometers and the first phase stretches for 93 kilometers. The first phase is going to be new asphalt road.

The remaining 116 kilometers is expected to be financed by a loan from the World Bank, for the bank has promised to finance the project. The project s going to stretch from Batu (Zeway) to Hawasssa. This phase of the project is also divided into two segments; Zeway-Arisi Negele and Arisi Negele-Hawassa.

The entire project is said to be part of the Mombasa – Nairobi – Addis Ababa highway project. The later project is said to boost Ethiopia’s agri – business and regional trade among the countries it crosses through.

Workneh also explained the government is working on the process of implementing the Adama – Awash toll road which is an extension of Addis – Adama toll road in the Addis – Djibouti corridor.

He furthered the Addis – Awash project will be commenced in the next fiscal year. The government is looking for financers or the realization of the project, he added.

The Ministry of Transport is also exploring for possibilities to include the Addis-Adama toll way and the Lebu-Akaki-IT Park (Goro) outer ring roads in the toll roads system. According to Capital, Akaki – IT park road project will connect the express way to the Northern and North eastern parts of the city. This project is going to be 14.5 kilometers.

On the other hand Akaki – Lebu project, which is 13.6 kilometers, will connect Addis – Adama toll road with the Western and South – Western parts of the capital city.

Source: Capital

1 - 20 of 70 Posts