SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Libraries Programme

As part of its mission to promote a culture of learning, research and inquiry, the Heritage Institute for Policy Studies (HIPS) has embarked on an ambitious plan to open libraries across major cities in Somalia. Early on, HIPS recognized that it can’t execute its main mission—to inform and influence public policy through evidence informed research and analysis—unless it contributes to a culture of research.

The initial assessment of HIPS found that the country’s capital city, Mogadishu, doesn’t have a public library. With more than 50,000 students at all levels of education, HIPS decided to start in the capital city. It identified the former National Library building, a government building at the heart of the capital, as a first possibility. After series of feasibility studies, surveys and consultations with key stakeholders, HIPS devised a “Public-Private-Partnership”

Under the PPP approach, HIPS mobilized civil society leaders, including academic community, businesspeople, youth and women’s groups, to convince the government to participate in an effort to recommission the National Library. A seven-member board, comprising of key civil society individuals and government officials, is formed. The Board of Trustees (BoT) has now officially asked the Somali Federal Government to give the necessary permissions to start renovating the building and starting the long and ardouos process of starting the first public library in Somalia.

The vision of HIPS is to identify other cities with large populations and no public libraries. Kismaayo, Baidoa, Galkao and Boosaaso are all possibilities. Once the Mogadishu library is set-up, HIPS will capitalize on its experience, connections and resources to move to other cities.

Our ultimate goal is to plant the seeds for a society that engages in reading and appreciates the work of researchers and analysts.
http://www.heritageinstitute.org/libraries_prog/

·
Kiwi to the rescue
1,966 Posts
The real bonus here is that it will Be a PPP venture. I want the same to happen for the old national university
It really wouldn't surprise me if it did. Actually, it's bound to happen. Somalia already has one of Africa's best universities, so they have set a benchmark for the standard of education. Once the war ends, there will be an influx of students, so Somalia will need all of the university places that it can get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rebuild

It really wouldn't surprise me if it did. Actually, it's bound to happen. Somalia already has one of Africa's best universities, so they have set a benchmark for the standard of education. Once the war ends, there will be an influx of students, so Somalia will need all of the university places that it can get.
It's good that the the library is being built again but I believe in the future or so, the library needs to expand. A library is save haven for the intrigued youth to read books and explore or study. Its a place where elderly sometimes come together to read newspapers (I don't know if they can read) So I'd like the library to be expanded so it becomes a mini city in itself. A library is so important as it is a public services because it gives the youth something to do. I can not stress to you how important it is to rebuild the building.

·
Kiwi to the rescue
1,966 Posts
It's great for governments to start out literacy programmes in co-operation with the library as well. I think that's another reason that this government are doing this. They're definitely not stupid.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Question is, how do you fund them. You have the initial cost of building a library, then the continued cost of acquiring/replacing books and paying wages. Maybe they could incorporate a cafe, stationery shops etc to generate a revenue for the library. The UK is expected to close 400 libraries by 2016; maybe there's an opportunity there for second-hand books and equipment.

Somalia already has one of Africa's best universities, so they have set a benchmark for the standard of education
I've heard this before; that sounds impressive and I had to look it up, but the only source I could find is the Wikipedia page for Mogadishu University which places it at no.40 but not according to the source they've cited (http://www.4icu.org/topAfrica/) its not even on the list of top 100. Do you have a source.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Best

Question is, how do you fund them. You have the initial cost of building a library, then the continued cost of acquiring/replacing books and paying wages. Maybe they could incorporate a cafe, stationery shops etc to generate a revenue for the library. The UK is expected to close 400 libraries by 2016; maybe there's an opportunity there for second-hand books and equipment.

I've heard this before; that sounds impressive and I had to look it up, but the only source I could find is the Wikipedia page for Mogadishu University which places it at no.40 but not according to the source they've cited (http://www.4icu.org/topAfrica/) its not even on the list of top 100. Do you have a source.
Same, I've heard that before but I dont think its true, it might be when Somalia had a government in the 70's or 80's.
But Somalia is in Africa we can catch up very quickly providing we have a rapid gdp growth across the country which would expand universities and so. Uganda's university Makerere University offically ranks at 11th best in Africa amongst the South African universities and you need to bear in mind Uganda's Gdp is 17b while South Africa's gdp is 410b. I'd give it 5 more years and Mogadishu university will reach the top 10 bearing in mind if the country's at peace and progressing!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

There are multiple sources in the last 5 years, that all place MU in the top 50, the highest ranking being 29, here is one recent example: http://theafricaneconomist.com/africas-50-best-universities/#.UewusY2Th2I

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Somalia to rebuild national library

A project has been launched in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, to rebuild the country's national library. Dozens of displaced families had been sheltering inside the building which has been badly damaged by decades of conflict. The project director, Zainab Hassan, told the BBC that thousands of students currently had no access to books. Work on the new complex is expected to be finished in six months' time at a cost of $1m (£600,000).

The money is coming from the Somali government as well as business people and civil society. Already 20,000 books have been donated from the United States and around 60,000 are expected to come from Arab nations. Ms Hassan said she hopes the library will teach people to love reading. She admitted that a large proportion of Somalia's culture and history is oral and has not been documented. "The building should restore Somalia's history for future generations," she said, adding that there was a need for knowledge among Somalis.

Originally built in 1986, the National Library is a colossal 3-floor building located opposite the National Theatre in Mogadishu. Once restoration is completed the library will store book collections in Somali, English, Arabic, Italian and many more languages. - Source

·
Registered
102 Posts
For $1million I'm assuming that the building will just be refurbished and nipped and tucked. The Library looks stunning. A real National Library! The National theatre is going to be rebuilt by China soon too. Next we need to rebuild the National Museum. One by one Somalia is coming back.

·
Banned
336 Posts
I always thought the library looked like a stadium not that I hate it but if does look like one it wouldn't look so bad if you don't have somesort of courtyard

1 - 20 of 35 Posts