SkyscraperCity banner

1221 - 1240 of 1354 Posts

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
The nice and one and only fort Jesus was crumbling down in disrepair. I hope the govt. is changing this, I recall it had reached a point where even tourists never wanted to go there and the tour companies had taken it off their list of places to see in Mombasa.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am waiting to see how the 580 million allocated in the budget for Fort Jesus restoration will be put to use, I think this and the Nairobi river cleanup should show clear results since they got direct allocations

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
^^When were the allocations made brother? If you have a source please link it up. It would nice for us to be able to keep track of these two important allocations and developments.

·
Registered
13,294 Posts
^^

NMK will very much use the money fully. The first step will be to complete the seawall construction. And then they'll work on the fort itself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The nice and one and only fort Jesus was crumbling down in disrepair. I hope the govt. is changing this, I recall it had reached a point where even tourists never wanted to go there and the tour companies had taken it off their list of places to see in Mombasa.
I went there two years ago and was so disappointed. The exhibits were in such poor condition it was heartbreaking. It's like they don't get any money to maintain their collections or do repair work ... or maybe they just eat the money.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I did some restoration of the Oman house to strengthen it so that it can support a dhow on top it was financed by the Oman government, the exterior was majorly left un touched

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Uhuru Gardens

Mombasa is just not about painting the CBD blue and white .

At the famous tusks on Moi Avenue and in the heart of Mombasa island we have this beautiful park ( Uhuru Gardens ) that has also had it's share of a makeover.

What many people don't know is that this park was never visible and accessible to the public because Kiosks selling curious and ++++ lined up the entire stretch facing the tusks and in the process the park was not even visoble and in the process it was even grabbed. Itvwas finally given back.

In 2001 just before the NARC wave of 2002 , Mvita MP Mzee Shariff Nassir ( May Allah Grant him Jannatul Firdoush) led a team to get rid of kiosks on Mombasa island.

More kiosks lined up the entire boundary wall of Catholic church at Nkurumah / Nyerere streer. The cathedral was surrounded by kiosks. He brought all those down and thanks to him we can now see and acess Uhuru gardens and also see the beautiful cathedral.

Well true leadership means you must at one point stand up for what is right and Mzee Shariff Nassir did just that . I recall him leading the team in person and in the process he lost the elections but many of us will never forget him.

As always I choose to remain an optimist as I share such key history that many don't know or hardly remember.

Now you know .

Pocket parks like the above ones really do wonders to a cities image. These are always a great place to relax, esp. when properly maintained.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pocket parks like the above ones really do wonders to a cities image. These are always a great place to relax, esp. when properly maintained.[/QUOTE]

Is that in Kenya?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Pocket parks like the above ones really do wonders to a cities image. These are always a great place to relax, esp. when properly maintained.

Is that in Kenya?[/QUOTE]

yes in the city centre

·
Registered
407 Posts

Great progress but still a long way to go, i have noticed the low quality workmanship on the cabro plus most rainwater down pipes that were under the old pavement were cut and left hanging over the new cabro, wait for the rains and see how messy it will be, already the pavemnts flood when the buildings re being cleaned, acah mvua iingie.

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
Excuse the poor quality I took this from a nokia 2, found this Indian building along Haile sellasie avenue mombasa all lit up it looks very cool
Diwali is around the corner.

1221 - 1240 of 1354 Posts