SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mombasa eyes mass rail system in talks with JICA​
Source

The county government has started negotiations with a Japanese agency to build a mass transport system to link the city to the standard gauge railway (SGR) terminus in Changamwe.

The move is part of the county’s master plan to reorganise the city by 2040 and Mombasa into a vibrant economic hub.

Speaking on Wednesday at Serena Beach Resort in Mombasa, county secretary Francis Thoya said an efficient mass transport system was necessary to ferry commuters to and from SGR station in Miritini.

“Expansion of roads is not going to be the ultimate solution to traffic congestion of the city.

“The county has written a proposal to Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) over the construction of a post-Miritini terminus connecting railway line,” said Mr Thoya.

The proposal was sent last month and a “possibility of positive response is high”, the county secretary said.

The proposed rail system is expected to ease transportation of visitors and residents from Moi International Airport to the North Coast as well as reduce traffic congestion in Mombasa and Kilifi County’s lower town of Mtwapa.

Mr Thoya said the county was in talks with the national government and expressed optimism that the idea would be received well.

“The county had earlier discussed with the Kenya Railway Corporation about the project.

“What we will need is a nod from the national government. We do not expect them to fund the project. But I am sure they will support he initiative,” he said.

Speaking at the Sixth International Asia-Africa Seminar for Urban Development organised by JICA, Mr Thoya said the rail system would be in place in less than 10 years after approval.

From the seminar, it emerged that implementation of new plans for cities in Africa is plagued by change of regimes, a lack of consensus among implementers, locals and governments.

In Mombasa for instance, the county executive said, a lack of consultation between the national government and the county stalls infrastructure project due to conflict in relocating landowners.

Reactions: xJamaax

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lucky for them the Voi-Mombasa section is U/C and only the connection on Mombasa island connection/south coast can be build before extending the network to lamu.

·
Registered
463 Posts
^^ Tuliiona kama hii ya Nairobi karne na karne zilizopita, lakini leo tuko wapi? Napata shida kuziamini sasa.
Haha, thats true. We will wait and wait :eek:hno: . However I get the feeling that these are long term plans intended for implementation 10 years into the future. That or just talk for the ballots. Well, I guess its a start though. Sigh....:bash:

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A tendering process is underway to design a line connecting with the SGR forming a backbone commuter rail network.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Count another 10years of consultancy before they declare its not viable.
Don't dismiss them that quickly,I know they have pulled out of a couple of projects e.g the elevated expressway from CBD to JKIA, but arent they the ones that are funding that 60B water tunnel project.... also thay did the feasibility studies for most of the new roads in the north and north east .. Isiolo -Moyale, the one to south sudan about to be launced, they also did feasiblity of Isiolo-Wajir-Mandera upgrading... so chance are 60-50..

If you look at the details, the WB says its already disperesed the money needed for the feasibility to GoK, so its up to GoK not to 'eat' it or diverge it to some other project..

1. The Government of Kenya (GoK) has received financing from th e World Banktoward the cost of the National Urban Transport Improvement Project (NUTRIP) and intends to apply part of the proceeds to develop aNairobi metropolitan commuter rail master plan.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Thats basically old wine in new wineskin, try all you might but you ain't converting us to guys that said the metre gauge was feasible

·
Snowlion
445 Posts
Don't dismiss them that quickly,I know they have pulled out of a couple of projects e.g the elevated expressway from CBD to JKIA, but arent they the ones that are funding that 60B water tunnel project.... also thay did the feasibility studies for most of the new roads in the north and north east .. Isiolo -Moyale, the one to south sudan about to be launced, they also did feasiblity of Isiolo-Wajir-Mandera upgrading... so chance are 60-50..

If you look at the details, the WB says its already disperesed the money needed for the feasibility to GoK, so its up to GoK not to 'eat' it or diverge it to some other project..[/QUOTE
^^
Please try not to get us started on "Brentton woods institutions" :eek:hno::eek:hno:

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
How many feasibility studies and designs? This are loopholes of how we waste our cash! I thought the govt said they had incorporated some of these tracks to be done together with phase II SGR? CS should come out clear bout commuter rail.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
How many feasibility studies and designs? This are loopholes of how we waste our cash! I thought the govt said they had incorporated some of these tracks to be done together with phase II SGR? CS should come out clear bout commuter rail.
I believe we are getting mixed up here. If not mistaken any light rail or whatever rail the central government was talking about in tandem with SGR was for Nairobi and not Mombasa. The Mombasa thing up here is a County Government project.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts