SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
State rolls out Mombasa commuter railway plan
SOURCE

Mombasa is set to get a commuter railway service to ease congestion and time-consuming traffic gridlock in Kenya’s second-biggest city.
The Kenya Railways Company (KRC) on Tuesday invited bids from local and international firms to provide consulting services for the feasibility studies and design of the proposed railway network, signalling start of the project.
“The government of Kenya has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the National Urban Transport Improvement Project (Nutrip) and intends to apply part of the proceeds to develop a Mombasa metropolitan commuter rail plan,” said Kenya Railways in a notice.
The State agency said interested contractors should submit their bids by 13 June 2017. It estimates that the feasibility study and design will take about 18 months.

The port city of Mombasa is a crucial trade gateway and also the country’s foremost tourism hotspot. It is, however, notorious for traffic jams and congested streets.
The commuter railway is expected to ease movement around the city.
Due to increased cargo to and from the Mombasa port and increased traffic volumes, the Mombasa–Mariakani section has remained a bottleneck to traffic flow in and out of the city.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The problem with these WB projects is they too much time in feasibility studies and design stage which keep being repeated. I don't know but could their their stringent standards and beauracracy in approvals which takes a long time beat the very purpose of using them for financing?

Unfortunately we can't use Chinese loans only, its prudent to spread to different financiers. I however think that if our cities where seriously better managed rather useless politicking, they could issue a municipal bond for a project like this and it could get build by Kenyan money.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
^^Agreed on spreading out the funding.. but there are better alternatives out there.. ADB and the Japanese come to mind.

In any case, I agree more so that Kenya should start funding an increasing number these capital railway projects. There is the Railway Development Levy which by 2015 had collected the amount necessary to pay off Kenya's initial portion of the SGR. Why can't the funds from that levy (which will only rise as railway usage takes off), be used to fund a portion or all of this and other commuter rail projects?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
The problem with these WB projects is they too much time in feasibility studies and design stage which keep being repeated. I don't know but could their their stringent standards and beauracracy in approvals which takes a long time beat the very purpose of using them for financing?

Unfortunately we can't use Chinese loans only, its prudent to spread to different financiers. I however think that if our cities where seriously better managed rather useless politicking, they could issue a municipal bond for a project like this and it could get build by Kenyan money.
Umesahau Thika road ni ya AfDB

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So what happened to this project? Mombasa could use 1 of those new Spanish DMU’s.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
So lately I have been checking the state of the MGR corridor in Mombasa. And since the trains stopped moving. There’s been heavy encroachment on the rail corridor. It's pitiful and yet so many sidings lead to factories and are so underutilized.

Somehow this has turned into a panya route. The housing development to the left will be upgraded in the future meaning a train station here will be much needed.

In the opposite direction, the rails have become houses and garbage dumps. The track splits into two and passes behind the new KMA tower and those rails have been completely grabbed. :mad::cautious:

If we follow the silver merc. We will meet horror as the tracks are completely grabbed and taken over. A lot of the railway that used to crisscross Mombasa have been completely grabbed. You can only tell there used to be railway when it passes a road.

The road it passes is Tangana Road. And it looks like it used to be double-tracked.

Just a few meters ahead is a siding, now a garage, and as if hidden by dirt used to be rail sidings that went towards KPLC warehouses. Mikajuni Road. Maybe if KPLC got this rail back they could start manufacturing transformers which can be easily exported to our neighbors and we won't have to rely on the Chinese. After careful study of the map I believe if this siding is dug up and the land reclaimed I believe Mombasa transportation mess will be sort

Following the railway takes you to this monument of a bridge on Moi Ave. that isn't well maintained and yet it's a piece of history.

This route in particular if properly integrated could start at Likoni Ferry and wrap around the port it goes all the way towards Mombasa Train Station. And if well done could be very attractive to ferry users.

And with the anticipated foot traffic of the people using the new pedestrian Likoni bridge. At Mikajuni Road a train station platform can be built with shops and it will indeed be a very desirable location for people's movement.

KR should wake up and at least put to a plan of rehabilitating the use of the commuter rail trains and have further expansion plans within the island and beyond.

Tomorrow I’ll make a map of how we can connect SGR and MGR together creating a seamless transition.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
PART 2 - Transforming Mombasa Train Station and connection with SGR (Mritini Station). Pictures could be outdated but nevertheless...

This is the current state of the MGR station in Mombasa. A dilapidated structure in a sea of chaos. The street its is on is called Machakos street. And the sidewalk has been taken over by car garages, vibandas, truck parking zone, the area is filthy and needs intervention to begin transformation and revival of the area.

The area in front of the station isn't good either it has become a car holding facility, and the entrance is gone.

Mombasa Commuter Rail Station Improvement.

My idea would the area written with the words BRT be the main interchange station between the end of the commuter rail and the beginning of the BRT buses that will move people across Mombasa. Thus creating a seamless system of movement of people. The area I have highlighted as Taxi Stage would be where Mats, Taxis, and Tuks Tuks, Tour Operators will pick up passengers. The area at the top left with the cars will be a 5 story parking garage with also underground parking that will allow Mombasa residents a place to park/ride and as well offer city folks a place to safely park their vehicles. Bottom right at the place written Jihan Freighters will be gone and instead will house either a transit shed for cargo or commercial depot for the railway. The red X's will be demolishing the shed of the station and replacing it with a brand new modern commuter station with restaurants and a small market that will make up the design for the new Mombasa Commuter Rail Station which will be connected to Mombasa Airport at Magongo Rd. and as well the SGR station via the port. An underground tunnel should be built to connect all the platforms together. The trees near the platforms should remain and act as a garden where passengers can sit and wait for trains. This is would also signal the return of the MGR service between Nairobi and Mombasa and as well a future branch line towards Taita Taveta joining up with Taraza.

An example of a transportation interchange that could be modeled to be like the new Johannesburg International Transport Interchange.

Mombasa Airport connection and brand new train station on Mombasa Road

The area I have marked in Red. Is the perfect area for a brand new train platform and station that will allow users on Mombasa road access to the trains. The potential for this area is high since there's a new road being built and also being close to the airport this could serve as a vital link in connecting the two.

I believe that this CFS doesn't belong there and is either grabbed or KR is leasing its land. But either way this CFS is blocking the possibility of a platform being built here that will link the MGR directly with Mombasa Airport through Magongo Road. Making this place a very attractive place for another BRT interchange station that will connect people to MIA.

The white dots are showing the railway corridor. And where you see the containers used to house some railway workshops and as well as sidings that seem to have been eaten by the CFS smack dab in the middle. But you can see the potential.

The last stop of commuter train service would end at Mirtini. I mulled on how it can be connected to the SGR from there but the slope isn't favorable but there's a road. And it's linked to Dongo Kundu, and as well SGR so a very good area to capture commuters.

Further back on the route another location with a good spot for a train platform would be the former Kibarini Dumpsite. The park and the train would create the area as a visitable location where people won't believe it was a former dump. The place with the ICD tower and the land around it. Will one day be a business hub with towers and residentials etc. It’s a long term project by some investors who wanted the dump site gone.

The place where SGR and MGR will transfer passengers would have to be done at the Port of Mombasa since that's where the two rail lines meet. I'm sure it will be an attractive feature since people will see day to day port operations in action. But always Mombasa to be a city that one can travel using all kinds of public transportation. Thus opening its full potential and revitalization that will rival Dar.

Anyway, that's my long short presentation on how the MGR commuter rail can be done and as well bring to focus the bridging of the gap between the two rail lines. And the future return MGR between Nairobi and Mombasa if the rails are welded and upgraded.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts