Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kenya Electricity generating company- kengen intends to set up a 600mw power plant in Mombasa that will generate electricity using coal. The project which is expected to stabilize the country's power supply situation should be operational by the year 2013.kengen has also expressed interest in setting up another coal plant in Kitui as it steps up its program to increase the country's power generation capacity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfMPf-Mk5_g

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^

If they also build the Kitui one, thats a total of 1200 Mw of coal power. I hope you know what that means for Kenya...:cheers:

·
ilete baraka kwetu
332 Posts
1200MW that would be good for our energy needs but then too bad for the polar bears and penguins. LOL!!!
that project alone would not make much difference in global warming. Developed nations send more greenhouse gases than the rest of the world and nobody raises a finger. So that should not bar us from generating more energy from other sources.:)

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,238 Posts
that project alone would not make much difference in global warming. Developed nations send more greenhouse gases than the rest of the world and nobody raises a finger. So that should not bar us from generating more energy from other sources.:)
I strongly believe renewable energy is the only way to guarantee stable, abundant power supply in the future; however, despite that I have no problem with this project. The US and China alone emit over 60% of global CO2 emissions yearly. Getting them to reduce their emissions would have a greater impact on global warming than stopping Kenya from generating over 1200 MW of power from coal.

Now of course this doesn't mean Kenya should become dependent on fossil fuel-generated power. Diversify the power sector as much as you can.

This plant sounds like a good idea, but I could not understand what the narrator was saying. I thought he was speaking Swahili at first.

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A Chinese company (TBEA) has been chosen to build this power plant together with another thermal power plant in the Rift Valley at Longonot which will produce an additional 120 MW of power. I dont know when construction will begin though.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
so we will have 2 coal power plants 600mw each?
nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts