Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread is for the development of a wedge of land at Kings Dock, adjacent to the bridge carrying the main access road over the gap between Wapping and Queens Docks. The plans call for a 5 storey mixed use building, primarily consisting of an Interpretation Centre, telling the story of Liverpool's docks, and 102 apartments. Some office space, retail, and car parking make up the ancillary uses. The developer is Monarchs Quay Holdings, and the architect is FCH.

Planning Application

Application Number - 17F/3261
Site Address - Land at Monarchs Quay Liverpool L3 4FP
Proposal - To erect mixed use development, including 102 apartments, Interpretation Centre, offices, residential, car park and retail with associated landscaping and works.
Applicant - Monarchs Quay Holdings Limited
From here - http://northgate.liverpool.gov.uk/P...tion Details&PUBLIC=Y&XMLSIDE=&DAURI=PLANNING

The plans were submitted in November 2017.

The Site
- Original image from Google Maps. Copyright to Google.
https://flic.kr/p/ZE8EmA

Renders
- Currently, the related documents are not available for this development. However the following render was released just a few weeks ago, thereby suggesting this will likely be very close to the proposed design -
Edit - additional render -
https://flic.kr/p/Zp2xUa

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Surely that block can’t fit over 100 apartments in as well as a visitor centre? Or have I read it all wrong?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
In fact the application is 8 buildings in two phases:-

Phase 1 is the building published here (the Interpretation centre/office space) with the TCC (4 floor Call centre building), a multi-storey car park and an apartment block.
Phase 2 includes more residential blocks, an ice rink, leisure facility and a waterfront hotel.

·
Registered
13,992 Posts
Pretty much. I'm actually surprised that these are full/detailed applications. The interpretation centre I;m actually a fan of. It's a tiny site, so I never thought it'd get used in any way so this is a bonus. It's going to be a glorified sales suite initially, then site office, then management office for the whole site. So long-term it'll have people working there. Can't complain about that.

The car park is an interesting one. Parking is massively needed down there during events, but access to the Strand is already a nightmare, causing huge delays in leaving the area. having another MSCP so close to the arena is only going to compound the issue. I feel this would have been better suited in the Baltic Triangle, serving it and the arena, whilst forcing some dispersal on foot and lowering pressure on the immediate post-arena event traffic. The design looks good if it;s going to be like the Brisbane Airport one referenced, but we've had our fingers burnt with deceptive MSCP renders recently so I'd watch out for this one.

The office building is pretty unambitious, but if it was a blue-chip company moving in I'd be happy so I guess my problem is the occupier, not the building itself.

The residential scheme is a bit of a surprise. Inoffensive enough, but not what;s really needed down there. i can see why they have done it, because it makes it a fully mixed use scheme overall.

Busy daytimes from the office/interpretation centre buildings. Busy nighttime from the residential. Retail space at various points for locals and visitors alike and car parking to enable visitors to access it.

I guess phase 2 then just adds more in terms of visitor economy as well, though I'd have preferred another office building instead of the ice-rink.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts

YPG submits plans for next phase of King’s Dock
Charlie Schouten

Developer YPG has submitted a planning application for the next phase of its King’s Dock development in Liverpool, which includes apartments, offices, and a multi-storey car park.

The latest planning application for Monarch’s Quay is the second of three phases for the area.

Designed by architect Falconer Chester Hall, the plans include an 102-apartment, six-storey block with two retail units at ground floor level. The block will provide 38 one-beds, 53 two-beds, and 11 three-beds, and sits opposite the planned call centre which forms the first phase of YPG’s plans for the site.

The gateway to the second phase will be the development’s Interpretation Centre on a asymmetric plot of land alongside Queens Wharf. The 11,100 sq ft building will include primarily office space on the first, second, and third floors, and a roof terrace. The lower and upper ground floors will serve as meeting and events space, and will be used to promote the overall masterplan to the local community.

During the construction phase, it will also be used to house the development’s construction team, and once construction of the Monarch’s Quay masterplan completes, it will be used as an administration centre for the area’s management team.

Also included in the second phase is an 100,000 sq ft multi-storey car park, which will provide space for nearly 800 vehicles and 200 bicycles. This will also house retail units at the ground floor which will provide 27,000 sq ft of space. The steel-framed building will be clad in anodised aluminium.

Alongside FCH, Knight Frank has acted as planner for the second phase, with Turley as heritage consultant, and Layer as landscape architect.

The planning application also includes proposals to improve the area’s public realm, including tree planting and enhancements to pedestrian areas.

The second planning application follows the submission of the first phase of the project to planners in August this year.

This includes the controversial 45,000 sq ft call centre for The Contact Company, which has attracted criticism due to Asif Hamid, chief executive and owner of The Contact Company, chairing the Liverpool City Region LEP, as well as the land being originally designated for leisure use.

The third phase will be submitted as an outline planning application, and is slated to include an ice rink, leisure units, a bowling alley, restaurants, an apartment block, and a hotel across four buildings.

At MIPIM UK last month, Ming Yeung, chief executive of YPG, told Place North West that he was targeting breaking ground on the first phase by February, planning permission permitting. However, the developer is still in negotiations with the council on the project, with the final development agreement yet to be confirmed.

The multi-storey car park includes 900 spaces and retail units at ground floor level

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/ypg-submits-plans-for-next-phase-of-kings-dock/

·
This is from October:

MIPIM UK | YPG application due for further Kings Dock development

Link

YPG is targeting November to submit its next planning application at Liverpool’s Kings Dock, as the council’s preferred developer for 102 flats, a heritage centre and multi-storey car park, to be built alongside the proposed call centre YPG is delivering for The Contact Company.

YPG and the council released images yesterday of their vision for the Monarch’s Quay site, the final 11-acre piece of undeveloped land at the former southern docklands.

In August, YPG’s architect Falconer Chester Hall submitted a planning application for a 45,000 sq ft call centre which is set to be let to LEP chairman Asif Hamid’s The Contact Company. The plans for an office on the prime waterfront site, which is publicly owned, have been met with hostility by developers, who have questioned the appropriateness of the location, and whether an office requirement would be better served by proposed commercial schemes such as Pall Mall.

The city council’s overall vision is to deliver a mixed-use development, which would create a leisure, commercial and retail destination. The intention is for the site to be developed in three phases, with 120 apartments, the 7,500 sq ft ‘heritage interpretation centre’ and a car park anchoring phase two; with 280 homes, a winter garden and improved public realm in phase three. The council bought the site from the HCA earlier this year, using most of a £6m pot from the Regional Growth Fund.

While YPG was known as the developer for the call centre, it has not previously been confirmed that YPG was also set to build the next phase of homes, heritage centre and car park.

At MIPIM UK, Place North West met with Ming Yeung, chief executive of YPG.

Ming was born in China, but moved to Grimsby with his parents when he was six years old. His financial backers are largely Chinese, he said, as well as a mix of traditional bank lending.

The developer is relatively unknown in the Liverpool market, but is completing the student accommodation conversion of Pembroke Studios, as well as 204 flats in the Baltic Triangle, and the recently approved hotel conversion at Renshaw House.

According to Ming, he moved into the Liverpool market “because it is ripe for redevelopment, the city council are supportive, it is straightforward to get planning and the land values are affordable.”

Taking its own stand at MIPIM UK rather than joining the joint Manchester & Liverpool stand had proved fruitful for YPG, Ming said, as at the conference the company has secured “£4m of investment from returning Chinese investors”.

On the Kings Dock development, Ming said that YPG was targeting breaking ground on the TCC block by February, planning permission permitting. However, the developer is still in negotiations with the council on the project, with the final development agreement yet to be confirmed.

Ming is “hopeful” that the company would also be selected as the council’s developer on the later leisure phases at Kings Dock, “should the first phase go well”.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I guess phase 2 then just adds more in terms of visitor economy as well, though I'd have preferred another office building instead of the ice-rink.
the more I think about it the more Im in support of the ice rink - its something the city doesnt have and i think that end of the docks needs more 'all weather' leisure to draw people south - mind you we already have Ghetto Golf and Bongo's Bingo which are crowd pullers already :)

·
Human Being
43,163 Posts
an ice rink is OK as long as its multipurpose and can be decked over for other events.
The arena is sometimes used for ice events, isn’t it? Disney on Ice etc. I wonder what their response to a new rink would be?

Just can’t see the all year round benefit of an ice-rink myself; even if it was truly a world class facility. Is there really suppressed demand for ice based sports in the city?

It’s not an appropriate location for a purely leisure based rink.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
The arena is sometimes used for ice events, isn’t it? Disney on Ice etc. I wonder what their response to a new rink would be?

Just can’t see the all year round benefit of an ice-rink myself; even if it was truly a world class facility. Is there really suppressed demand for ice based sports in the city?

Look up the Staples Centre in L.A. it hosts basketball and ice hockey amongst other things. Then think about a mini version of that and how it might be viable in its own right and as an additional space for other arena/ conference centre activity.

·
Registered
13,992 Posts

Ironically, a lot of the more vocals objectors in the developer sector are to the call centre. Not because it's just a call centre but because other developers think the site should be exclusively leisure and not mixed use.

I actually like the fact this scheme is mixed use. I just think there should be more commercial.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Hi Jane genuine question - are there other leisure uses you have in mind ?- Im scratching my head trying to think of something that would be a draw to the area and be weather proof enough down there.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Look up the Staples Centre in L.A. it hosts basketball and ice hockey amongst other things. Then think about a mini version of that and how it might be viable in its own right and as an additional space for other arena/ conference centre activity.
I go to Staples a few times a year for concerts and sports and its a genuine multi use (also bloody expensive) - I think it would compete directly with ACC for concerts when they seem to have problems attracting enough acts as it is.

Not sure what the answer is really

1 - 20 of 57 Posts