Registered
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nooooooooooooooooo

Monash Freeway set for widening
By Royce Millar and Stephen Moynihan
5 May 2006
The Age

THE Monash Freeway in Melbourne's south-east looks set to be widened as part of a State Government plan to relieve mounting traffic congestion.

Government sources have confirmed that the Government's long-awaited Transport and Liveability statement, to be released this month, is likely to include staged plans for widening of the freeway, the centre of traffic mayhem on Wednesday after two trucks collided on CityLink.

It is not yet clear if taxpayers would pick up the tab for the multimillion-dollar widening project. One option is for CityLink operator Transurban to contribute to the works.

The Government and Transurban have been in secret negotiations for months over a scheme under which the company would bring forward CityLink concession payments due to the Government, to help pay for at least part of the Monash widening.

In return, the Government would approve a revamp of roads at the eastern and western ends of CityLink to improve capacity and flow into the tunnels.

Whoever pays, the widening will be included in the statement, the content of which is a key issue in the lead-up to the state election in November.

Road industry sources say the widening will eventually extend to Dandenong.

Builders of EastLink — the Mitcham-Frankston toll road that will cross the Monash at Dandenong North and is now being built — are making the underpass under the Monash longer than planned to allow for extra lanes on the Monash.

The Monash road-widening will be one of the few major road initiatives in a statement that is expected to have a strong emphasis on building up the capacity of Melbourne's existing public transport system.

The Government was tight-lipped yesterday. Louise Perry, a spokeswoman for Transport Minister Peter Batchelor, said the Government was looking at a number of ways to ease congestion.

"We are not ruling anything in or out of that statement," she said.

Business groups have pushed for major road improvements, including a $10 billion tunnel linking the eastern and western suburbs, but that has been ruled out in the foreseeable future.

Widening of the Monash would highlight the Government's enthusiasm for improved services to the burgeoning and electorally sensitive south-east corridor.

The Government announced last week that it would spend $197 million improving infrastructure in Dandenong. This is in addition to $92 million it committed to the area in September last year.

The transport statement is expected to include a third track on the Dandenong rail line, but the Government is also believed to be keen to run a bus service from Dandenong along the Monash Freeway, another reason for adding lanes.

·
Developer
7,645 Posts
Yay! that means the traffic jams will only stretch for 1.5 kilometres instead of 1.6 kilometres and I will save 14 seconds on a trip to the city, well worth a few hundered million dollars.

Removing the level crossings next to the freeway on the Glen Waverley Line would probably cost about the same and provide much more substantial benefits for public transport and road users.

Who the **** is going to use a bus up the freeway from Dandenong when there is already a bloody train line, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If they had've spent the money they used on those stupid fucking traffic lights on the onramps on widening in the first place, we wouldn't have this problem.

Asshats.

·
Go Ahead.....Make My Day!
5,467 Posts
apart from all of the above and further widening the monash, i also think that the the best way to reduce the traffic on the monash is to extend the ringroad from greensborough to the eastern freeway and to join the scorsby up to the monash, then trucks wouldnt have to go all the way around the monash, over the bolte bridge and up to the hume etc

its no use having the ringroad just stop in the middle of greensborough. Most of the trucks need to go along the westgate or on the hume, so to get access to the hume on the east side of the city without having to go all the way through the city is a must !!!

also, once this the scoresby is fiished, the bottle neck on the eastern at hoddle st will dramatically increase, which is bad news ! so that will need to be rectified !

cheers

lozza

·
Registered
296 Posts
those lanes are quite tiny aye

·
Registered
849 Posts
So it's 2006 and work that was completed in 2000 is now proving to at capacity. That's good planning.

The citylink tunnels are only 3 lanes wide, so when are we going to need an extra tunnel.

I recall Brack's himself recently referring to the need for a "quantum leap in public transport funding", so what does he do - extend a whole freeway (for one bus route of course).

·
Banned
481 Posts
When something like which happened only two days ago happens (pasted below) you got to wonder what on earth the Govt is smoking when it proposes bulldust like this. An extra lane will not make 1 iota of a difference. All it takes is for one vehicle to break down on the Monash, and you have chaos which can effect a vicinity of 20kms or more.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19010652-1243,00.html

Truck crashes create traffic chaos
May 03, 2006

THREE truck accidents, including a fire truck on its way to the first two crashes, is causing peak-hour traffic chaos on one of Melbourne's busiest freeways.

Police said a truck travelling outbound on the Monash Freeway jack-knifed and hit a barrier near Yarra Boulevard about 6.30am (AEST) today.

A short time later a second truck travelling in the opposite direction crashed into a barrier in the slippery, wet conditions and spilled diesel on the road.

A fire truck on its way to the accidents also crashed on the freeway.

The second accident forced the closure of inbound lanes from the Toorak Road exit, while traffic banked up after the first accident resulted in the closure of the Burnley Tunnel outbound.

Police said no one was hurt in the accidents.

CityLink spokeswoman Jane Calvert said it was a chaotic morning with thousands of peak-hour motorists diverted off the freeway.

"We are working as hard as we can to clear the scene but, as you can imagine, we have got a jack-knifed truck in the outbound lanes, we've got a damaged concrete barrier dividing the inbound and the outbound lanes, and on the inbound lanes we have got a diesel spill across those lanes, so it is going to take some time to clear," Ms Calvert said to Southern Cross Broadcasting.

A police spokeswoman said traffic was gridlocked on Burke Road, through the eastern suburbs of Camberwell and Hawthorn.

Yarra Trams spokesman Colin Tyrus said the freeway closure was forcing traffic on to other roads and also affecting tram services.

"All trams in the eastern and south-eastern suburbs are affected to varying degrees," Mr Tyrus said.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Gargarensis said:
so why exactly is this widening a bad thing?
Because essentially you are just widening the traffic jam and not providing infrastructure that works in the long term

Nearly died on this thing during the widening works years ago
and yeah its great speeding along a nice empty 5 lane freeway after an upgrade
but feels rather empty when slowly but surely the traffic returns
and widening starts all over again 5 years down the track

I've given up my car now and it was like leaving behind an addiction
its also an addiction with which we've built a lot of our cities and lifestyles upon

Melb's PT can serve you very well if you're close to the parts of it that really work.
A bus lane can potentially provide a fast and efficient choice and the
Monash doesn't always follow the Dandenong rail line, but in the end essentially its just a bigger car in a sea of them.

PT can be very good but it isn't fast or available everywhere and government needs to provide more transport options that work for consumers
Amazing how we've come leaps and bounds in a lot of areas but transport is just the same old thing. No Jetsons future here yet.

·
Registered
749 Posts
From the 1st article:
In return, the Government would approve a revamp of roads at the eastern and western ends of CityLink to improve capacity and flow into the tunnels.
This is the statement that concerns me the most. Cross City Tunnel anyone?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I've got no problem with widening the freeway, it does need to happen to cater for the future, but I think if they add a fourth in each direction make the extra lanes HOV lanes only, or single occupant toll lane like they do in LA. Also seperate the two sides of the freeway further so that a train line can be built down the center. The line would run down the middle all the till it joins up with the regular Dandenong line down near where freeway and Princess Hwy meet. Given that this is one of the fastest growing areas in Australia, I think that there would a market for this service. It could be semi express with only a limited number of stations in the center of the freeway like Perth, and there could be a spur line running out to Rowville branching off near the Wellington Rd ramps. The line down the center of the freeway could then join the Waverly line somewhere between the Burke Rd and Toorak Rd section.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
youve got a wide median. why not build a busway, tram line or transit lanes. that would be a way to encourage ppl to use the PT down there as they watch a PT service fly by them whilst they sit in gridlock. that was the idea with the SE busway in Brisbane and it has worked. Also i think Perth has a train line down the middle of one of thier freeways.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes indeed, a similar proposal has been mooted for the Eastern Fwy median running up the hill to Docaster. Um, I'm a bit concerned about a 4 lane Fwy/Tollway piling into a 3 lane tunnel; it would be interesting to see ( I wonder if anyone knows) when traveling west along citylink and arriving at Domain tunnel portal, how many get off and go to city and how many go into tunnel? I would think that would be a primary determinant in whether this is a good idea; if everyone's trying to pile into the tunnel (or trying to suddenly get off) isn't this idea creating exactly the kind of bottleneck which is the problem in the first place?

Blue

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bluestar said:
Yes indeed, a similar proposal has been mooted for the Eastern Fwy median running up the hill to Docaster. Um, I'm a bit concerned about a 4 lane Fwy/Tollway piling into a 3 lane tunnel; it would be interesting to see ( I wonder if anyone knows) when traveling west along citylink and arriving at Domain tunnel portal, how many get off and go to city and how many go into tunnel? I would think that would be a primary determinant in whether this is a good idea; if everyone's trying to pile into the tunnel (or trying to suddenly get off) isn't this idea creating exactly the kind of bottleneck which is the problem in the first place?

Blue
The western end of the fourth lane wouldn't end anywhere near the Domain tunnel. It's impossible to squeeze any more lanes underneath the Church St bridge or the rail bridge without extensive rebuilding. In fact, there's probably no room from the Yarra Boulevard overpass onwards.

The real choke points during morning peak are
Wellington Road (because of those stupid fucking traffic lights)
The hill leading up from FTG road
The hill from Stephensons Road to Huntingdale Road (trucks get in the right lane and can't keep up)
Toorak road

For the four lane naysayers, funny how the four lane section between High St Road and Toorak Road is the fastest part of the damn freeway during peak...

Evening peak
The lights and hill that follows at Warragul road
Eastlink/South Eastern interchange

As for getting public transport...it's horrible in my area. I'd rather drive, thanks.

·
Banned
3 Posts
I agree about those on ramp "safe merger' traffic lights - biggest fucken shit idea Vicroads has ever dreamt up. You should see the gridlock on Warrigal road when those fucken things are in operation :bash: :bash:

now they're on every onramp, even that FORMALLY NON-SIGNALLED sweeping semi-directional ramp at the wellington rd interchange taking westbound wellington road traffic northbound on the monash :bash:

·
PTnut
588 Posts
Booze Hound said:
I agree about those on ramp "safe merger' traffic lights - biggest fucken shit idea Vicroads has ever dreamt up. You should see the gridlock on Warrigal road when those fucken things are in operation :bash: :bash:

now they're on every onramp, even that FORMALLY NON-SIGNALLED sweeping semi-directional ramp at the wellington rd interchange taking westbound wellington road traffic northbound on the monash :bash:
Actually the ramp metering signals aren't all about safety. And they're actually used worldwide. NSW has implemented them in several locations, that I can't think of off the top of my head. The M5 is one of them. The idea behind them is to restrict the flow of vehicles onto the freeway because if there's too many vehicles entering at any point in time, it impacts negatively on the traffic speed on the freeway and can cause stop start traffic. Its also a way of keeping traffic volumes on the freeway at an optimum level to ensure a steady speed. Variable speed limits also help achieve this.

So, would you rather have stop and go traffic or low speeds on the freeway itself, or on the onramp?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Booze Hound said:
That's the onramp I use, and it's fucking chaotic in the morning. It's not uncommon to see traffic banked up along Wellington rd back to Jacksons Rd, and from the Wellington Rd end of Jells Rd up to Grandview.

At 8am, it takes twice as long to drive the 3k from my house to the freeway than it does to drive the 6k to Blackburn Rd on the freeway. Most of that time is spent waiting for the lights at Jells/Welly roads, and fighting across three lanes to the freeway onramp. Been this way since those fucking lights were installed.

Heh, can you tell I hate them?

·
I want to do you slowly
491 Posts
Widening does nothing - 6 lanes should be enough as most conjestion is caused by traffic banking back from exit points - therefore it's the sheer quantity of cars trying to get onto surface streets that's the problem

In essence - it's useless to build an extra lane if everyone's still trying to get into the left one!

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jimmy James said:
Widening does nothing - 6 lanes should be enough as most conjestion is caused by traffic banking back from exit points - therefore it's the sheer quantity of cars trying to get onto surface streets that's the problem

In essence - it's useless to build an extra lane if everyone's still trying to get into the left one!
JJ, you've hit the nail on the head.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts