SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Technocrat
878 Posts
Very interesting that Lloydminster, SK is in 3rd but Lloydminster, AB (the larger part of town) is nowhere to be found. The stats for Grand Prairie are also quite surprising to me.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
^ #69 ironically

Those are CA/CMA rankings not actual city/town rankings aren't they? Explains why a lot of great places aren't actually on the list.

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
Leamington. lol. I'll never understand it. It's 45 minutes away and I've been there MANY times. It is probably one of the 'lesser' nice places to live I've ever been to in Canada.

"Windsor: Days below 0C: 122.8" LOL! Not even close.

·
261 Posts
What makes you say that about Leamington? Given all the other towns I've been to of that size, Leamington has a lot to offer.

The days below 0C stat for Windsor seems right to me.

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
Blitz said:
What makes you say that about Leamington? Given all the other towns I've been to of that size, Leamington has a lot to offer.

The days below 0C stat for Windsor seems right to me.
Leamington is not very wealthy. It has a large downtown for its size I'll give it that.
It's a farming town with a lot of flaws. It has very little to offer...hence why most Leamington people come to Windsor for thrills and giggles.

Windsor's average January temperature is 0.7 degrees Celcius.
Anything before and after January (with the exception of February sometimes would be warmer).
So Windsor's average days below 0 would be about 80-90 days.

·
261 Posts
When you compare Leamington to other towns its size though, it's pretty good. It has the best climate in the province and Lake Erie and Point Pelee for recreation. A very diverse population too, partly thanks to the Mexicans.

For the temperatures, they count any day where the temp falls below 0C (even if it only happens in the middle of the night). The average nighttime temp in early April is near 0 so those would count too.

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,065 Posts
hmmm , what a stupid List . Kamloops 104th ? BULL SHIT . Kelowna wasnt even on the list . I dont belive that our unemployment rate is that high eather , what a joke.there is no way that we have 129 days BELOW 0 . Well... I dont think so , , man I m pissed . these guys made my top 10 list , right next to David Suzuki . :wtf: :mad2: :evil:

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Theymean days where the termperature goes below 0. Thunder Bay has gone below 0 at least 10 times this month. Though it only went down to like -0.1, still, that counts. If you add the days below 0 and days above 10 together you'd probably something in the neighbourhood of 450 days. :p

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ Click on the "overview" heading, it explains the criteria they used.

·
Registered
495 Posts
They are talking about days when the temperature falls below zero at some point, not days when the temperature fails to get above zero. There is a big difference.

People like to look at lists but the fact is that these are pretty unrealistic. I'd barely even heard of this small town previously. Why would I move somewhere like that? Few people are willing to live in small towns far away from real cities.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
'Few people are willing to live in small towns far away from real cities.'

It's, like, 20 minutes from Windsor. Hop over the border and you're in a city that's bigger than Toronto. (thought it doesnt look like it is, does it?)

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
vid said:
'Few people are willing to live in small towns far away from real cities.'

It's, like, 20 minutes from Windsor. Hop over the border and you're in a city that's bigger than Toronto. (thought it doesnt look like it is, does it?)
Toronto is about three times larger than Detroit bud.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts