SkyscraperCity banner

Which transit option do you think is better???

• Monorail

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • LRT

Votes: 39 57.4%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With subways becoming more and more expensive to build, it seems above ground transit solutions are being examined more thoroughly. The two main ones that seem to get the most attention are monorail and LRT, and I thought it would be interesting to see which style of transit you think is best.

Personally, I have to go with monorail. While LRT may be cheaper, the fact that it merges with traffic and cross traffic means slower speeds and/or less frequency than monorail. Monorail does not have this issue as it runs almost entirely above ground. I know monorail is currently mostly used for amusement parks or small transit nodes, but I believe with proper investment and R&D monorail could easily become the subways of the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGpssWBTkzU

About 40 seconds in, this thing literally flies by traffic. I'd like to see a surface LRT do that.

Raised LRT is a good alternative, but it is bulkier than monorail so it would take up more road space and isn't as nice to look at as monorail.

·
Kulia I Ka Nu'u
954 Posts
I pick Monorail just because it makes any city look a bit more modern. For transportation wise, LRT.

·
Banned
2,235 Posts
Overall LRT is way better. The success of the LRT concept over that of the monorail concept proves it best i think.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Technically, what proves it? Success isn't based purely on technical or operation superiority - it depends in great part upon marketing and image.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I dont really know what influences a government public transit authority planner's mind on whether to choose LRT or monorail but in my city, both look good nevertheless so as long as I have either and it works well, its fine.

Coincidentally, the monorail in Singapore is used to service a resort island area, while the raised LRT is used for day to day transport around a suburban neighbourhood.

Sentosa Express monorail (Courtesy of Charging Bull), connecting a resort island to the subway system

Sengkang LRT, serving a residential suburb and connecting it to the subway system

·
Banned
6,026 Posts
Monorail is paying the cost of a subway without getting the benefit of capacity.

Who would choose it?!

·
forumer #29
4,642 Posts
^^But if the monorail was not there, they could have planted trees in the median strip. Then it would be cooler.
That isn't even close to a priority in large parts of the world. In fact trying to use that as an arguement would just be in favour of monorail here.
/not that we'd ever build monorail - it would be so hated for ruining the look and feel of the city. LRT is already here and popular with more extensions planned.
IMO monorail and LRT both have advantages and disadvantages, so one isn't really better than the other, it all depends on the city/line.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^But if the monorail was not there, they could have planted trees in the median strip. Then it would be cooler.

To be frank, I really had no idea what that fist person was smoking when he made the tree comment, so I just decided to ignore it :p

·
9,855 Posts
To be frank, I really had no idea what that fist person was smoking when he made the tree comment, so I just decided to ignore it :p
U talk about me rite
Well in ur pic as I said they also cut the tree
I 101% doubt that the trees only have that height

Let the trees grow by not cutting it
And let see whether ur monorail can run or not

:eek:hno:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
This is getting ridiculous. Most roads do not have trees on median anyways, only on sidewalks, which are hardly affected by monorail.
besides which is going to have a more positive impact on environment, building a monorail so people dont drive cars to pollute environment and cause congestion, or having a few more trees? (and in this case, having a few more cm in height of trees).

·
If I could be anyone...
2,550 Posts
Monorails are much cooler, I think LRTs are more practical (higher capacity?) anyone can fill in on this?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts