SkyscraperCity Forum banner

MONTPELLIER - Stade de la Mosson (32,939)

46911 Views 60 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  philon86
Montpellier Hérault SC

1x Champion (Ligue 1)

2x French Cup
1929, 1990

1x UEFA Intertoto Cup Winner

Refubishment project, beginning of works in 2014, completion in 2017 :

The current stadium :

Panoramic view : http://www.info-stades.fr/forum/ressources/image/4641

See less See more
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
I love this stadium, it's one of the rare cases where I like the irregularities of a stadium.

However, it is currently in a very poor state. Looking forward to the refurbishment...
Was my fav WC 98 stadium.
Love the 3 tiers
Well you may like it even more after the city is done with its refurbishment plan in 2016!

There are no official rendering as of yet however a budget of 50M euros has been granted in order to improve the stadium amenities and surroundings:
all the seats are to be replaced before the start of next season!
A 1800 car parkade is to start construction soon and a potential extra 1600 spots owned by the district of Herault could be added!
At a later date a roof will be built on top of the 3 tier stand where business suites and seats section should also be added!
There's also talks about extending an existing tramway line so that access to the stadium is eased on game day!

The first goal is to be able to host the Champions League games next season, which was not part of the plan! As of Now the MHSC would have to play its games at another venue as the UEFA will not allow games to take place at the stadium in its current condition.
See less See more
This is not an official render, but a survey of how the 3 tiers stand might look after the refurbishment :

Description of the proposed work (in french) :
http://www.midilibre.fr/2012/02/27/...mosson-sera-un-stade-haut-de-gamme,463589.php
http://infohje.croci.daniel.over-bl...novation-du-stade-de-la-mosson-100245213.html
See less See more
BTW its official name is "Stade de la Mosson-Mondial 98" :yes::

-----------

Some more pics:

See less See more
^^ Thanks for the pics :)
You're welcome ! :)

BTW, for some reasons, I always liked this stadium, and just like Sercan, I really loved its brand new & huge three tier stand back in 1996. Today, I still like this stadium, especially for the architectural potential its asymmetric design gives in terms of future refurbishment. :yes:
Was my fav WC 98 stadium.
Love the 3 tiers
Same here.
This is a cool stadium, but why even bother with the roof in Montpellier? I spent a month there, don't think it rained once :) Perfect weather every day, and not an overly expensive city. One of the places I'm thinking of retiring to.
I have loved this stadium since WC '98. Oh, THAT was a Cup! Please, don't even bother with a new roof. France should keep its stadiums the way they're supposed to be: full with caracther and great atmosphere.
Well you may like it even more after the city is done with its refurbishment plan in 2016!

There are no official rendering as of yet however a budget of 50M euros has been granted in order to improve the stadium amenities and surroundings:
all the seats are to be replaced before the start of next season!
A 1800 car parkade is to start construction soon and a potential extra 1600 spots owned by the district of Herault could be added!
At a later date a roof will be built on top of the 3 tier stand where business suites and seats section should also be added!
There's also talks about extending an existing tramway line so that access to the stadium is eased on game day!

The first goal is to be able to host the Champions League games next season, which was not part of the plan! As of Now the MHSC would have to play its games at another venue as the UEFA will not allow games to take place at the stadium in its current condition.
Two tramway lines already service the ground from the city centre. You can now get there in 20-25 minutes, as opposed to 35-40 as it was a year ago.

This is a cool stadium, but why even bother with the roof in Montpellier? I spent a month there, don't think it rained once :) Perfect weather every day, and not an overly expensive city. One of the places I'm thinking of retiring to.
I assume you didn't visit in late autumn/early winter then! It rains a huge amount in October. And not lightly either. Places like London, Paris and Munich might be wetter for the rest of the year, but there is that short period where you get soaked almost whenever you leave the house in Montpellier.
I think I read that the municipality will invest in upgrading the stadium so it is able to host CL games in autumn. I need to find the link...
€50M of work is going to be put into renovating the stadium, but the capacity won't see any significant increase. The entire stadium will be roofed, but work on this won't begin until 2013 and is expected to be finished by 2015.

Disabled access will also be improved.

---

As for suitability for the Champions League: it was really only ever a rumour that the Mosson wouldn't be up to UEFA standards and that they'd have to play their European games in Marseilles. However, a figure of around €800,000 will need to be spent on upgrading the seating this summer.
See less See more
Two tramway lines already service the ground from the city centre. You can now get there in 20-25 minutes, as opposed to 35-40 as it was a year ago.

I assume you didn't visit in late autumn/early winter then! It rains a huge amount in October. And not lightly either. Places like London, Paris and Munich might be wetter for the rest of the year, but there is that short period where you get soaked almost whenever you leave the house in Montpellier.
So wear a jacket, pussies.
So wear a jacket, pussies.
Thanks for the tip. No doubt with such sweet manners, you 'll find the french rude during your retirement.
Went to the Mosson on Friday. The stadium is now full of upgraded seats (gone are the seats without back rests) and is ready for the Champions League.
As for suitability for the Champions League: it was really only ever a rumour that the Mosson wouldn't be up to UEFA standards and that they'd have to play their European games in Marseilles. However, a figure of around €800,000 will need to be spent on upgrading the seating this summer.
Apoel Nicosie host Champions League and Montpellier which host WC 1998 could not ? Can you explain us on what rumor was made.
An interesting away ground to go and see a match at. I liked the coloured seats when all the home fans had left as I had a wait in the stadium, I took some photos. Am not to keen on the walk they take away fans on through the wooded area.

The away facilities were basic for the fans, 2 porter loos for the upper level and another 2 for the lower level, but from my seat I could see all the pitch which was good. I assume they are better for home fans.

See less See more
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.