SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
121,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a trip to Montréal this past weekend for a nice break. My main purpose was to see the contrast between two French-speaking cities. Having just returned from Paris last month, I find a lot of startling contrasts between these cities. First of all, you don't really need to know French to survive in Montréal. The downtown area is bilingual, and English is oftentimes heard on the streets. However, the vast majority of the store and street signs are in French only due to provincial language laws.

I lived on the Plateau, which was about a 30 minute hike from Mont Royal. My friend and I made the trek up with no lights on the park's paths and climbing through shortcuts between the trees. It was quite dangerous, but the view was well worth it!

It was my 5th or 6th visit to Montréal (I've lost count). Here is the first part of many parts to come. I hope to run the Montréal series in parallel with my Paris series.

Other Montréal Threads from my 2004 Visit
MONTRÉAL Bonsoir! @ Night
Bonjour from Up High!
Vieux Montréal
MONTRÉAL Winter 2004
My Montréal Galleries

Paris Series
Part 1 : La Tour Eiffel | Part 2 : La Défense | Part 3 : Montmartre & Sacre Coeur |
Part 4 : Notre Dame | Part 5 : Gare du Nord | Part 6 : Louvre |
Part 7 : Gare de Lyon | Part 8 : Beautiful Street Scenes
Part 9 : Ile de la Cité | Part 10 : Plus de La Défense | Part 11 : Versailles
Part 12 : Arc de Triomphe | Part 13 : Pompidou Ctr.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts