SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the grand tradition of TB's Toronto and Gappa's Melbourne, I thought I'd try my hand at a Montreal thread. I'm always trying to get as far away from Montreal as I can, but I figure while I'm here I may as well make the most of it and show off this beautiful, frustrating, fascinating island city.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Beautiful photos of a beautiful city. However, I'm not quite sure what to make of your first photo, if you know what I mean.
Either way, though, Montreal is looking good. :)

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
In the grand tradition of TB's Toronto and Gappa's Melbourne, I thought I'd try my hand at a Montreal thread. I'm always trying to get as far away from Montreal as I can, but I figure while I'm here I may as well make the most of it and show off this beautiful, frustrating, fascinating island city
A little OT, but why you want to get away from Montreal?

·
Registered
975 Posts
An excellent thread of a fabulous city. I love Montreal! Thanks Atanga.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I don't mean to give the wrong impression here. That sticker is far more the exception than the rule. Demographically, the movement towards QC independence probably won't be able to make any serious headway in the future, but it's still around. For the most part though, it's very peaceful if not always neighbourly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A little OT, but why you want to get away from Montreal?
To answer your question, it's my home town and I'm a traveler by nature so it's very hard to stay in such a familiar place even if it is a fantastic city. School is so affordable here though and the cost of living is so low, I always end up back for one reason or another.

The other thing is that the whole Quebec nationalism thing gets really, really old. Imagine being born in California. Your family speaks Spanish at home. You say out loud that you're a Californian and people look at you suspiciously if not correct you straight up. What are you supposed to be then?
It gets very old.

·
Tá Limpo!
2,888 Posts
Well I don't mean to give the wrong impression here. That sticker is far more the exception than the rule. Demographically, the movement towards QC independence probably won't be able to make any serious headway in the future, but it's still around. For the most part though, it's very peaceful if not always neighbourly.
Well, here in Brazil there's also a South independence idea, when I studied Canadian history at school, made me remember Southern Brazil.
But, if you talk about it at the Brazilian Forums you could be banned or the thread be closed.

Montreal made me remember some American cities (mainly from East Coast), but 10 times better and prettier.
I've always heard that Montral is a fantastic city, one of the bests in the World.

Thanks for show us!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
beautiful pics. LOVE montreal. such a great repertoire of old buildings.

re: your first pic - do some separatists actually believe the situation in quebec is similar to tibet or kosovo? or are they just trying to be provocative?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
beautiful pics. LOVE montreal. such a great repertoire of old buildings.

re: your first pic - do some separatists actually believe the situation in quebec is similar to tibet or kosovo? or are they just trying to be provocative?
Well yes, some do believe that and they are definitely trying to be provocative. Most people here would never make that comparison though.

I don't think separatism is wrong. I think it's ill-advised and shortsighted but believing in an independent Quebec doesn't make someone a villain as is often believed in the ROC (rest of canada). I was once for the idea actually, before I grew up and saw the world a bit and learned what many separatists thought of immigration.

What bothers me more is the photo of the police and protestors with the flags. They were shouting "Quebec pour les Quebecois" through megaphones. (quebec for quebecers) In the language of Quebec there is no ambiguity there. "Quebecois" in this context means white, francophone, French-decended Quebecois. But they won't get taken in for hate speech. Imagine a similar scene transposed onto any other province. It would be unacceptable. But here it's a valid opinion to express publicly. That's disturbing.

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
20,994 Posts
Interesting. I thought it would look more exotic.

This pic looks a bit like the fifth avenue in New York

·
8,794 Posts
Well yes, some do believe that and they are definitely trying to be provocative. Most people here would never make that comparison though.

I don't think separatism is wrong. I think it's ill-advised and shortsighted but believing in an independent Quebec doesn't make someone a villain as is often believed in the ROC (rest of canada). I was once for the idea actually, before I grew up and saw the world a bit and learned what many separatists thought of immigration.

What bothers me more is the photo of the police and protestors with the flags. They were shouting "Quebec pour les Quebecois" through megaphones. (quebec for quebecers) In the language of Quebec there is no ambiguity there. "Quebecois" in this context means white, francophone, French-decended Quebecois. But they won't get taken in for hate speech. Imagine a similar scene transposed onto any other province. It would be unacceptable. But here it's a valid opinion to express publicly. That's disturbing.
Hey great photos I live in Montreal too....and I know what you mean about all the haters. I'm really sick of it myself. :eek:hno:

·
Smelly cat...
1,307 Posts
^^ It's racist, narrow-minded and dumb, but I do think that many Anglophones should learn French if they live in Montreal, for example. When I was visiting my friend in Montreal, I met many Montrealers who spoke only English and never bothered to learn any French and they were the ones that were bitching the most about "evil francophones".

1 - 20 of 148 Posts