Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Looking at a road map of Montreal, I noticed odd things about Montreal's Highway network. The main thing is that a lot of highways seem to be incomplete, or just end in the middle of no where. Here are some observations I made:

Autoroute 25 North: It simply ends in Anjou. It looks as if it was supposed to continue on to Laval, but instead, it just stops. What's up with that?

Autoroute 19: The highway stops smack in the middle of Laval. Shouldn't it be going right through Laval, and on to Ste-Anne-des-Plaines or something?

Autoroute 35 South: It looks as if it was meant to continue towards the Vermont border, yet it stops at St.-Jean-sur-Richelieu.

Autoroute 440: It ends in the middle of nowhere. It looks as if it was either supposed to go towards Ile-Bizard or Saint-Eustache. Any chane it will be extended?

Autoroute 640: It looks as if its supposed to be a beltway, yet it stops right before Oka. Wouldn't it be better if it was extended so that it could meet up with the 40?

Autoroute 50: This one boggles me. It starts at Gatineau, ends at Masson, appears once again in Lachute, dissappears, and then reappears at Mirabel Airport. Can't the whole damn thing be completed as ONE Autoroute 50?

That sums it up, IMO. Have any of you guys noticed this? Are any of these highways going to be completed?

Also, what's going on with Highway 30? When will it be completed?

Thanks

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
This can be blamed on the ambitions and unforseen economic disruptions of the provincial governments, I think. It's unfortunate about not having a Québec route from the NCR/Outaouais to Montreal, it's more scenic on the Québec side, though the completion was first promised by Charest, and then shelved again.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Actually, there's a historical tangent to the Autoroutes in Quebec. Around the time that guys like Drapeau were building Montreal into a world class city there was a rise in seperatism. Thats when companies started looking down the 401 and saw Toronto with its arms open wide. Anyway, many of these freeways were planned years ago and the expectation was that developments would necessitate their expansion. Case in point would be Autoroute 25. You can look at a map and see that it will eventually be continued right across the island of Montreal and on into Laval. Right now, as you are probably aware you have to cut through to the south west to take the official extension of 25. Also, it definitely looks like 440 is meant to eventually cross L'Ile Bizard and then across to the island of Montreal where it will connect with 40 around Kirkland. With the new developments on L'Ile Bizard that one probably isn't that far away from being built. It also looks like 640 is meant to be a northern beltway of sorts.
I also find the route of 30 somewhat puzzling though. It must be planned to connect at some point but I have no idea where it's supposed to lead. I suppose the obvious planned route would have it connect to 20, 40 or possibly further west to 540.

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
^Right, they had planned for a city with around 7 million by the 90s, which never happened, because of the Anglo/Allo Flight to Toronto and beyond.

In the Outaouais, there's the 50 (?) that just stops in downtown at a dead end.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Highway 50 is completely useless. Mirabel doesn't exist anymore therefor the 50 is not worth it!

Highway 30 shall be completed over the next 3 years, same thing with highway 25.

·
~ Mysterious Entity ~
4,865 Posts
Despite its "ecentricities" I still think Montreal had a fairly good expressway network. Probably the best in the country.

I'd definitely like to see some gaps filled in though. A bridge across the river around Repentigny/Varennes to connect highway 640 to highway 30 would be nice. Also, Autoroute Ville-Marie should be extended to Boul. Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine, and Boul. Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine should then be extended to Ile Jesus to connect with Autoroute Laval.

Is there much chance of any of these things happening?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
samsonyuen said:
This can be blamed on the ambitions and unforseen economic disruptions of the provincial governments, I think. It's unfortunate about not having a Québec route from the NCR/Outaouais to Montreal, it's more scenic on the Québec side, though the completion was first promised by Charest, and then shelved again.
My mapbook shows a future freeway on the Quebec side from Ottawa to Montreal... whatever that's worth

I love Montreal expressways... they're absolutely crazy!

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
i don't have enough time right now to answer (habs game underway), I'll post complete maps later.

but I just wanted to say that extensions to the 25, 720 and 30 are on the table and ready to go.... now if we could get rid of the nimbys............. :bash:

·
Registered
67 Posts
^Yuck! there is absolutely no need for this. Having an easy freeway connection between the A-720 and the A-25 just means that more unneccessary traffic is going to flow into downtown Montreal, just like the Gardiner Expressway through Toronto. They should just improve the connection between the 720 and the Jacques-Cartier bridge and end it there.

The Quebec Autoroute system is modelled after the US Interstate. A 3-digit number starting with an even number means it is a by-pass intended to return to the original route, so technically, the A-440 and the A-640 were planned to cross the Ottawa River back to the A-40 as a northern by-pass. Along with the planned A-30 connecting with the A-540 with a bridge west of Dorion, and a possible link at Repentigny in the east creating a ring highway, there will be no need for interprovincial trucking, especially hazardous materials, to ever enter the island of Montreal.

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
I don't understand what you're trying to say...

thats hardly downtown montreal... and the notre dame blvd (which will be turned in a highways is 4 lanes) is always jam packed.

that extension would create a kind of belt around the 40 and would let trucks pass freely more than at this moment.

·
Midtown Fella
5,282 Posts
malek said:
^^ well if you had read into the thread, you would've known that these projects are there to complete exsiting ones :)
To complete existing ones? then....

Toronto should extend Allen, to become the spadina expressway, extend the incomplete Gardiner to complete the Scarborough Expressway, they should build the richview expressway from what was already built up on Eglinton and 401, and highway 400 down... all these highways are incomplete.

Do you have any Idea what Toronto would look like with that Highway system?

Do you know what Toronto would feel like? An American city. The future is in Public transportation, the fact that you WANT these to get contructed in your city, is a disgrace to urbanites everywhere. :bash:

·
Registered
67 Posts
The A-720 DOES go through downtown Montreal. Connecting it fully with the A-25 will just add more traffic. It is terrible how this highway has isolated Old Montreal and St-Henri from the rest of the city -- ironically it runs close to where the old city walls were. They should cover over this highway east of the Tunnel Ville Marie so that the Quartier Latin melds with Old Montreal, perhaps a large park that restores the old Champs de Mars.... The Congress Centre was supposed to provide a bit of a connection but this monstrous building is just another inhuman obstacle that turns its back to Old Montreal.

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
the A720 is mostly underground, so it really doesn't bother downtown.

It is true that on the east side it creates a divide but this has been reduced with the building of ICAO building, CDP cluster and the extension of the Palais des congres.

There's work that needs to be done, to cover the rest, and believe me the city wants to do it... but i guess it all comes down to $$$.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts