SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 743 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
If Monument Mall was to be redeveloped and you had an open shell i.e. footprint and externals stay the same but the internal are to be completely redeveloped, what and who would you like to see in there?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Just an idea (might be a rubbish one BUT here goes) BUT i would quite like to see it house the high end retail stores - I know we have spoken about EPS and Grainger Street as potential locations for that.

BUT i reckon Monument Mall housing the likes of Boss, Armani etc etc could well work - all major fashion labels within one 'house' - just a thought

·
23,210 Posts
If for example the Monument Mall was to be redeveloped and you had an open shell i.e. footprint and externals stay the same but the internal are to be completely redeveloped, what and who would you like to see in there?
This was discussed on either the "City Centre Retail" thread, or the "Newcastle Department Stores" thread, can't remember which.

The best suggestion (in my opinion) was that the whole of Monument Mall could (because of 'location' etc) best serve the Newcastle retail scene as one BIG 'high-end' Department Store. The likes of Harvey Nichols (perhaps Selfridge) were suggested.

It really is a good size and an absolutely ideal location for a big Department Store (just 'imagine it') as is shown clearly, I think, by the below drawing that was used (for other reasons) on the 'Tyne & Wear Metro' thread, earlier today . . .

shiggy, have you noticed that (co-incidentally) we are also discussing 'Monument Mall' today, on the Historic Newcastle thread?

LINK to that post, here . . . http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=47414407&postcount=361

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Monument mall is big disappointment. It looks canny from outside (IMO anyway) but has nothing in it. Totally agree that whoever is trying to flog space in the place needs to be sacked and flogged. Boots is a funny shape- but there could have been any number of possible retailers in there- shoe shops, phone shops, higher retailers such as Diesel or the like or even smaller retailers if they divided the space (which is a possiblity). Blackett Street has really high footfall and any retailer would have been surrounded by big names such as Northern Goldsmiths, Warehouse, Schuh etc- but they have never managed to get anyone- even when things were going good a few years ago. Zavvi is still sat there- other former Zavvi stores across the UK have been grabbed up and new stores are open- isnt the former one in Princes Street, Edinburgh now Urban Outfitters- how come they havent been persuaded to move to here- apparently they are looking for a store in Newcastle and surely the location and the size of the store would be ideal. But the only rumour we hear are about bloody Barclays. I hope the trying to change the unit to a bank is rejected by NCC- but then again it wouldnt be surprised if it was.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Maybe the increasing number of empty units in Monument Mall means that they've had the same idea I did and plan on selling the entire building off to become one big department store? As I've said before, with an interior rebuilding and some small updates to the exterior it would be a good size and sits in a brilliant location...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, this is my very first post here, but I would like to know if a redevelopment is planned for the Monument Mall. I think it's a shame that a mall on such a perspective location is half abandoned.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Monument Mall has been bought by Henderson Global Investors. I assume they are starting to shake the place about and i understand NUFC are coming out.

Best Buy is defo a non starter now.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Apparently Sports direct in Monument Mall is closing down as well as the NUFC club shop. Maybe all the stores apart from Peacocks and TK Maxx are moving out and one retailer coming in, Forever 21?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Apparently Sports direct in Monument Mall is closing down as well as the NUFC club shop. Maybe all the stores apart from Peacocks and TK Maxx are moving out and one retailer coming in, Forever 21?
There is a sign in the window saying it is closing for refurbishment and coming back as another Ashley shop Field & Trek.

·
23,210 Posts
Monument Mall revamp definitely on way, say new owners
by Peter McCusker, The Journal, March 30th 2011

THE new owner of Newcastle's Monument Mall says it is preparing to undertake a comprehensive revamp of the shopping centre. London property group Hammerson, completed the £28m purchase of Monument Mall from the Kuwait-based St Martins group last week as part of a £200m-plus deal which included a number of other retail assets.

This is the London-based plc’s first foray into the Newcastle city centre property market. It currently has two retail property interests in the region: Manor Walks retail park in Cramlington and the Cleveland Retail Park in Middlesbrough.

The prime Newcastle city centre plot, which fronts on to Northumberland Street and Blackett Street. comprises almost 100,000sqft of retail space. A spokesman for Hammerson said: “The freehold shopping centre comprises 16 retail units and a food gallery over four trading levels.

“The centre offers restructuring potential through a comprehensive reconfiguration of existing units, exploiting the location by opening units to the street, and bringing new retailers into the scheme.” The spokesman went on to say its efforts would concentrate on developing its offering on Blackett Street and would involve a “fundamental improvement” of the centre.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/commerc...-revamp-on-way-say-new-owners-51140-28425033/

·
Registered
178 Posts
Monument Mall revamp definitely on way, say new owners

This is the London-based plc’s first foray into the Newcastle city centre property market. It currently has two retail property interests in the region: Manor Walks retail park in Cramlington and the Cleveland Retail Park in Middlesbrough.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/commerc...-revamp-on-way-say-new-owners-51140-28425033/
If all they currently have to offer is Manor Walks and Cleveland Retail Park, I won't hold out for anything spectacular at Monument Mall.

This place is pretty iconic looking and could really do with some real, strategic investment with some thought behind it. Look at cities like Manchester, Leeds and even Liverpool so see what could be done. It couldn't possibly get any more downmarket ...well, we'll see!

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
If all they currently have to offer is Manor Walks and Cleveland Retail Park, I won't hold out for anything spectacular at Monument Mall.

This place is pretty iconic looking and could really do with some real, strategic investment with some thought behind it. Look at cities like Manchester, Leeds and even Liverpool so see what could be done. It couldn't possibly get any more downmarket ...well, we'll see!
They also own top quality city centre shopping malls. This is great news, we all know that Monument mall was going nowhere under the previous owners who didn't seem to care about it, Hopefully this revamp will mean that current weird shaped units are now part of larger better shaped units. It seems as though they are indicting that they are focusing on the formers Boots unit which has stood empty for far too long.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
They also built Bullring, Highcross....think we should have a bit of faith they can do some things to a city centre scheme like this....MW and Cleveland are just mentioned as their other new acquisitions in the region...

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
Monumental reshape for Hammerson

01 April 2011

Exactly a week after the purchase of Monument Mall completed, Hammerson is implementing an asset management strategy

The four-storey centre has suffered from being “wrong sized” for many retailers looking for space in the city, says Peter Cooper, portfolio director at Hammerson.

Cooper aims to fix this. He plans to simplify the shopping centre’s layout and reconfigure the units to create larger stores with improved access on all levels. He reports that demand from “aspirational” retailers in Newcastle is strong, as evidenced by Urban Outfitters’ arrival on Grainger Street after a two-year search.

Read more

·
Northumberland Import
1,580 Posts
Is someone moving into the old Boots store in Monument Mall?

Looks like there's work ongoing

·
Part Time Contributor
43,825 Posts
Monumental reshape for Hammerson

01 April 2011

Exactly a week after the purchase of Monument Mall completed, Hammerson is implementing an asset management strategy

The four-storey centre has suffered from being “wrong sized” for many retailers looking for space in the city, says Peter Cooper, portfolio director at Hammerson.

Cooper aims to fix this. He plans to simplify the shopping centre’s layout and reconfigure the units to create larger stores with improved access on all levels. He reports that demand from “aspirational” retailers in Newcastle is strong, as evidenced by Urban Outfitters’ arrival on Grainger Street after a two-year search.

Read more
Spotted this Public Notice in last nights Newcastle Evening Chronicle - 11th October 2011.

1 - 20 of 743 Posts