1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
First post...

Apparently the Wallis/Evans unit in Momument Mall on the Blackett Street/Northumberland Street corner is to close in the early new year, around 7th Jan. Not surprising with the recent Arcadia closure announcements. Apparently Evans is to have a section in the new BHS on Northumberland Street when that opens.
Great post, and welcome! :)

That's also good news in the sense that it's a sign of things happening at Monument Mall. From the plans that we were discussing a few weeks ago, it's clear that the existing tenants will need to shuffle around in order for the planned redevelopment to take place.

·
Registered
602 Posts
^^Excellent news. Monument Mall at the moment is a wasted opportunity. I am also always disappointed that the only cafe/pub in Grey's Monument is the poorly managed Earl Grey's and the "takeaway" Pret. I look forward to some new names, if they stick to the idea of cafes in the central area.
That's true - the Charles Grey pub has felt grimy and unloved when I've been in recently, but it occupies a fantastic spot. A great vantage point for retail-related photos too! ;)

Pic from 11 July 2010:

Image source: http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/

·
Registered
602 Posts
Anyone else see Mr Soult on Look North tonight discussing high street retail?
I saw it ;) Inevitably, there was a lot more filmed that wasn't used, as is the case with these things.

Since the filming, Evan/Wallis has closed and I took a couple of shots of the store today, minus its signage:

It doesn't look very good at the moment, but of course it's all in aid of a good cause as far as enabling Monument Mall's redevelopment is concerned.

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts

There's nothing especially new or revelatory there - other than some more Monument Mall photos from today - but I've written a blog combining the Jamie's/Armani story with the Barclays one: http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/2...for-newcastles-monument-mall-then-deletes-it/, with plenty of links back to here, of course.

However, I thought it would be interesting to highlight the similar flagships that Barclays has opened in Bristol and Sheffield in the last few years.

Like here, both are very prominent corner sites that were previously in retail use: an ex-Gap in Sheffield, and an ex-New Look in Bristol. If nothing else, it gives a flavour of what these new branches look like.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If anyone's interested, I'm scheduled to be on BBC Newcastle tomorrow morning (Wednesday 8 August) at 08:25, talking about the redevelopment of Monument Mall. It should be covering a bit of background, the Barclays plans, and who might or might not be moving in!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Cheers Graham.

I'll try to listen in if I can, if not will it be online?

Also do you have any information you can share that we don't know about?

Does todays meeting mean that it has definitely been rejected?
No, nothing beyond what we've shared here already! If I knew any more I'd reveal it :)

I think it's more a response to lots of listeners asking "what on earth's going on with Monument Mall?", and Hammerson not being especially proactive in bigging that up on-site.

Oh, and you should be able to find the programme online afterwards at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio/bbc_radio_newcastle.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'd put a tenner on the corporate sledgehammer coming out ahead too. Those bullet points form a nice start to a set of pleadings....
I could write a blog dismissing each bullet point in turn - even laying aside my own views, it doesn't come across as a terribly convincing overall argument.

Still, we'll see what happens! I believe that BBC Newcastle has spoken to Hammerson too, so hopefully their voice will also be heard tomorrow.

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
I was walking by Monument Mall today, they now have advertising hoarding up all around the base of the site, advertising what's coming. Interesting to note they are showing the original renders of the new refurbished Mall at the ground level (not the Barclay's bank render). Also, it mentioned 7 shops. 2 are known about (TK Maxx, Armani Ex [high probability]), so that leaves 5. Not sure how many are new to the City as opposed any relocations.

It also mentioned the plural term of "New Restaurants". As opposed to "New Restaurant".
Here are a couple of shots of this that I got on Wednesday (spot my reflection in the first one!):

·
Registered
602 Posts
They could have given the facade a clean. The blackened appearance above the glazing detracts from the clean glass which makes it look a little out of place.
Maybe that will happen at the end? It probably makes sense to give the frontage a final spruce-up once all the building work's sorted.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Those are some very big names. A coup for the city.
Absolutely, that would be an astonishingly impressive list of retailers, if confirmed.

If those brands really are pictured then it suggests they're really coming, as renders tend to use generic made-up shop names otherwise.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts