Skyscraper City Forum banner
181 - 200 of 743 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Monument Mall - Barclays

Thats a step in the right direction but I'm sure there will be an appeal and NCC will need to stay firm on this.

Barclays have an opportunity to transform one (or all of theirs other branches) in the city centre, they don't need to go into a new location. There store at the top of northumberland street is crying out for a makeover. I'm also very skeptical at this "It will create 50 jobs" speech.

I'm pretty sure it will mean all if not only most of the existing staff from the other locations all moving to the new location instead of new employees and I'm actually in the thought that some of them may actually be layed off because there will be too many of them. Also it an't create any in the construction side of things because Monument mall is as we all know already under going a refurbishment.
Reading the Barclays submission it states:

7.7. The total cost of this project in terms of fitting out is estimated to be in the order of £2.7m
and will lead to these now vacant premises being reoccupied as the NPPF and the PPS5
accompanying ‘Planning Practice Guide’ encourage. Bringing vacant and under-used land
and buildings back into use is inherently sustainable and such NEEP policies as 1, 2 & 7 and
PPS1 make this a requirement. The Bank’s proposal should safeguard and/or create some
27 jobs
and will provide a much enhanced working environment. A further investment of
£0.25m is also planned into the refurbishment of the existing branch at Northumberland
Street. as the provider of student banking services.

so don't know where the 50 jobs comes from.

The application also talks about the acquisition of Unit 15 so have Barclays already purchased the unit ahead of any planning agreement?

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
Hmmm.... No mention of Jamie's Italian and Armani now.
Funny how that happens just after we discovered it. Who's the snitch working for Hammerson! :nuts:

Well we can work out that the change on that page they did, for listing Jamie's Italian and Armani, were recent changes done this very month!
(i.e. - it wasn't old information that they just got rid of).

According to Google's webcache on for that webpage on the 6th Jul 2012, they did not mention Jamie's and Armani. In fact the page looks very different.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...merson+monument+mall&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

So from 6th July 2012 till about say sometime today on 26th July 2012 - that piece of information was definitely on their page!

I hope they just unintentionally leaked that info prematurely!

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
Monument Mall redevelopment 'progressing well'

Last updated: 24th Jul 2012 at 08:42am

Monument Mall in Newcastle is now almost a third let following a deal with TK Maxx, its owner Hammerson has said. The company is currently carrying out a £15m redevelopment at the centre.

Hammerson said Monument Mall was now 29 per cent let following the agreement with TK Maxx. The retail chain occupies a 25,000 sq ft store on the lower level in the centre and is upsizing to a 37,000 sq ft flagship store over the first and second floors.

Read more:
http://www.insidermedia.com/insider...all-redevelopment-progressing-well/index.html

·
Registered
602 Posts

There's nothing especially new or revelatory there - other than some more Monument Mall photos from today - but I've written a blog combining the Jamie's/Armani story with the Barclays one: http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/2...for-newcastles-monument-mall-then-deletes-it/, with plenty of links back to here, of course.

However, I thought it would be interesting to highlight the similar flagships that Barclays has opened in Bristol and Sheffield in the last few years.

Like here, both are very prominent corner sites that were previously in retail use: an ex-Gap in Sheffield, and an ex-New Look in Bristol. If nothing else, it gives a flavour of what these new branches look like.

·
23,114 Posts
There's nothing especially new or revelatory there - other than some more Monument Mall photos from today - but I've written a blog combining the Jamie's/Armani story with the Barclays one: http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/2...for-newcastles-monument-mall-then-deletes-it/, with plenty of links back to here, of course.

However, I thought it would be interesting to highlight the similar flagships that Barclays has opened in Bristol and Sheffield in the last few years. Like here, both are very prominent corner sites that were previously in retail use: an ex-Gap in Sheffield, and an ex-New Look in Bristol.

If nothing else, it gives a flavour of what these new branches look like.

You also get a little bit of an idea of what it might look like, from the render posted a couple of days ago . .

Newcastle Historian; 25th July 2012 said:
Here is an 'artists impression' of the corner site in Monument Mall - AS A BARCLAYS . . .

Still hope it actually doesn't happen, I think that corner is TOO prominent a retail location, for even a 'flagship' bank branch!

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
^^^^

NH do you have a date for that rendering...?
The rendering is from the "Photos - Proposed Artists Impression" document, which NCC received on 03 May 2012.

"Letter of application" went on in 03 May 2012.

I'll put up a highly detailed exploded image of that rendering that NH posted earlier from the Evening Chronicle.

You'll see how the retail flow and experience has been totally destroyed by having that bank in that position. :( ATM's and meeting rooms galore...

Here's the NCC app link:

http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.u...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=M3FND8BSAP000

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
I couldn't put the detailed image up using the usual embedded format as Photobucket messed on with the size of the image.

If you click on the link below you will to get the image. Simply click on the image to get the original size. Then you will see it in all it's glory...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8naut9040dn6kf/Image1.jpg

A double bank of ATM machines on the left of the building, a double bank of ATM's on the right of the building. A (completely wasted space) empty foyer on the ground floor with a big spiral staircase, a few meeting rooms/areas directly above on the 1st floor, with people sitting around on some big brother style cosy chairs or just standing about - in a lot of space. There's a proposed basement space as well. You can see just how much of the frontage this development takes up. It's massive!

NH, Pubs, Leauk if you feel strongly about it, then please raise an objection! A few of us already have.

http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.u...do?activeTab=makeComment&keyVal=M3FND8BSAP000

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
They'll get what they want eventually, banks always do.

I've never been in Monument Mall and have no intention of ever going in it but it should be congruent to its surroundings. A manky big bank does not achieve that and I disagree with banks on principle anyway on anything they want.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

However, I thought it would be interesting to highlight the similar flagships that Barclays has opened in Bristol and Sheffield in the last few years.

Like here, both are very prominent corner sites that were previously in retail use: an ex-Gap in Sheffield, and an ex-New Look in Bristol. If nothing else, it gives a flavour of what these new branches look like.
Large GAP in Leicester also became a Barclays flagship 3 or 4 years ago. Seriously huge. I've never seen lobby space like it! Very snazzy n all that....but.....

·
13,958 Posts
If Barclays own the plot as has been sugested they could end up being vindictave and hold on to the empty plot if they dont't get their own way.
Braclays will do whatever it takes to get in there.

The usual is the threat of an incredibly costly appeal with the risk of costs being awarded against the Council. The conversion of the old YHA building on Jesmond Road is instructive:

Members of the planning committee raised concerns with officers over the new application and it was rejected by a vote of 6-3. With the possibility of an appeal from the applicant and a potential financial penalty, officers intervened and gave advice to councillors behind closed doors. The plans were then approved.
The developer of that project is many rungs below Barclays in the fiscal ladder.

My concern isn't necessarily Barclay's per se. They will spend enough to do something decent, or as decent looking as a bank can be [though I agree with most feelings expressed here - they shouldn't be given the chance].

The risk is that if Barclays get change of use it sets a precedent to fill the property with [say] Cash Converters and William Hill - who are unlikely to show any a'hem architectural sensitivity.

181 - 200 of 743 Posts