Skyscraper City Forum banner
141 - 160 of 743 Posts

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Theirs not much difference between TK Maxx and Sports direct to be honest. They both buy in bulk and sell at low prices, TK Maxx sell more casual clothing and homeware. Sports direct on the other hand sell sportswear. Both stores sell big branded names. Sports direct does have a more just throw it on the shelf as it comes policy than TK Maxx does though TK Maxx's presentation and organisation isn't exactly the greatest either.

If TK Maxx had better presented stores and items were layer out better then it would be a great store. Unfortunately though most of the stuff is just lumped out like it's a jumble sale and as such it's not regarded as where it should be.

·
13,958 Posts
Theirs not much difference between TK Maxx and Sports direct to be honest. They both buy in bulk and sell at low prices, TK Maxx sell more casual clothing and homeware. Sports direct on the other hand sell sportswear. Both stores sell big branded names. Sports direct does have a more just throw it on the shelf as it comes policy than TK Maxx does though TK Maxx's presentation and organisation isn't exactly the greatest either.

If TK Maxx had better presented stores and items were layer out better then it would be a great store. Unfortunately though most of the stuff is just lumped out like it's a jumble sale and as such it's not regarded as where it should be.
There are some differences in sourcing. Ashely is much more vertically integrated. 'He' owns many of the suppliers who's products 'he' carries:

• Carlton
  • Dunlop
  • Donnay
  • Everlast
  • Kangol
  • Karrimor
  • Lonsdale
  • No Fear
  • Slazenger

He also has significant shareholdings in others which he can use to get supply from companies who ordinarily would not touch him [no disrespect, he s successful and good for the money], and to extracta better price.

TK Maxx essentially go to suppliers with a suitcase of cash and buy close outs [old stock, overproduction etc] at say 20p in the £. The suppliers then usually fervently deny ever having sold anything to them and blame 'a big client from Eastern Europe, they must have done it'

TK Maxx is essentially a multi-brand factory outlet store.

Both jumble sales, but in my experience TK Max is a better class of jumble sale, more space in the aisles and staff who can walk and chew gum at the same time.

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
On the other hand... Sports Direct since last year have acquired an 80% controlling stake in USC and Cruise fashion chains.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/jul/06/sports-direct-usc-mike-ashley-tom-hunter

And incidentally just today, they have acquired the Flannels high-end fashion chain. I quote:-

"Analysts think the luxury market has potential for growth because it is currently under served by retailers and has held up better than the rest of the high street since the financial crisis."

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...1583403_sports-direct-acquires-flannels-chain

·
Registered
368 Posts
Any particular reason Gap didn't like Monument Malls plans? Such a shame. From a BR pov it would seem like the perfect site from an architectural and neighbour scope. I know that when I worked at Gap they were looking at the site where HSBC is now on monument.

·
23,114 Posts
I know that when I worked at Gap they were looking at the site where HSBC is now, at monument.

Ah yes, that would have been a great location for GAP.

The old "Newcastle Picture House" building, though I knew it best in the 1980s as the big "Broadloom Mills" furniture store . . .

Newcastle Historian; 27 November 2010 said:

·
13,958 Posts
I remember it more as the Filling Station pizza place or something along those lines.
It was also certainly a Pizza Hut. I think that when Whitbread had the UK franchise they bought up a lot of the competitors - which was probably why they ended up [ala Waterstones-Dillons] with premises unusually close to each other.

On the other hand... Sports Direct since last year have acquired an 80% controlling stake in USC and Cruise fashion chains.

And incidentally just today, they have acquired the Flannels high-end fashion chain. I quote:-

"Analysts think the luxury market has potential for growth because it is currently under served by retailers and has held up better than the rest of the high street since the financial crisis."
Very similar model to JD sports. They also own/licence some of their key brands;

• Canterbury
  • Kooga
  • Duffer of St George
  • O Neil
  • McKenzie
  • Carbrini Sportswear
  • Animal
  • Boxfresh

They also have upmarket and fashion outlets: Bank and Scotts [so they have three shops on N/land street.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It was also certainly a Pizza Hut. I think that when Whitbread had the UK franchise they bought up a lot of the competitors - which was probably why they ended up [ala Waterstones-Dillons] with premises unusually close to each other.

Very similar model to JD sports. They also own/licence some of their key brands;

• Canterbury
  • Kooga
  • Duffer of St George
  • O Neil
  • McKenzie
  • Carbrini Sportswear
  • Animal
  • Boxfresh

They also have upmarket and fashion outlets: Bank and Scotts [so they have three shops on N/land street.
Acctuly it's four, they also own First sport next to M&S

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Monument Mall inside and out today:

Went past this today, incredible progress - 1st and 2nd floor glazing in, entire entrance portico on N'land street removed to roof level, from which you can see the cavernous interior all the way up to the former food court stripped bare. The way they're gutting it you'd think the tenants were itching to get in. Just saying....

·
Registered
910 Posts
The only thing of interest about Monument Mall I could see in today's half year results is that, as of 17 July, 29% of the development had been let - which, by my calculations, roughly equates to the space that TK Maxx has taken.

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
The only thing of interest about Monument Mall I could see in today's half year results is that, as of 17 July, 29% of the development had been let - which, by my calculations, roughly equates to the space that TK Maxx has taken.
Well, that would be right in this moment in time.

Perhaps Hammerson have not finalised yet what tennant's they have signed up, or they are not ready yet to disclose officially.

Anyway, I've managed to discover that Hammerson have signed up Jamie's Itallian and Armani.

http://www.hammerson.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=133289&p=prop-pd-Monument-Mall-Newcastle

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Armani. Thats me working all the overtime for my new expenses. The joys of having good taste. :bash:

I'm rather amazed though that the likes of Armani and Jamie's Italian are willing to go into the same mall as TK Maxx, elsewhere in the country they wouldn't even be on the same street as each other.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Well understanding- and I might be wrong- isn't the entrance going to be on Northumberland Street? Jamies will be in the dome bit on the monument next to Waterstones and opposite pret, French connection. If Armani was on the Blackett street part- which again will face hotel chocolate. North face, northern goldsmiths,that other jewellers that needs bouncers and warehouse- again not that bad company really. It might also be Armani Exchange- not quite as expensive ad a real Armani store- in fact I would bet my pension on the being an exchange.

If these are signed up that is good news though, better than bloody Barclays!

Does anyone know if there will be more than one restaurant by the dome?

·
Part Time Contributor
43,752 Posts
Interesting to read the papers prepared in advance of the Planning Committee Meeting of 20th July 2012 when the Barclays PA was being discussed.

Source : http://democracy.newcastle.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=50013

Conclusions and Recommendations

30. Newcastle’s role as a shopping centre goes beyond the immediate needs of Newcastle’s residents. The centre acts as a Regional attraction and one of the principal reasons for this is the diverse range of retailers on offer in the City Centre.

The introduction of an A2 use in a prominent building within the primary shopping area and on the corner of an important pedestrian junction would harm the vitality and viability of the city centre.

31. On that basis Committee is therefore recommended to refuse planning permission for the following reason:
The proposal would cause unacceptable harm to the vitality and viability of a Primary Shopping Frontage (Blackett Street and Northumberland Street) and the regional shopping centre contrary to saved UDP Policy R2.1, RSS Policy 25: Urban and Rural Centres and NPPF (paragraph 23).

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Well understanding- and I might be wrong- isn't the entrance going to be on Northumberland Street? Jamies will be in the dome bit on the monument next to Waterstones and opposite pret, French connection. If Armani was on the Blackett street part- which again will face hotel chocolate. North face, northern goldsmiths,that other jewellers that needs bouncers and warehouse- again not that bad company really. It might also be Armani Exchange- not quite as expensive ad a real Armani store- in fact I would bet my pension on the being an exchange.

If these are signed up that is good news though, better than bloody Barclays!

Does anyone know if there will be more than one restaurant by the dome?
Yes I too think it will be an Armani Exchange (basically Armani's own store thats sells it's range that it sells to 3rd party retailers/department stores) or an Armani underwear store.

Your right that it will fit well on Blackett streets and I would expect it would go into the former Boots, Gallery, or Body shop stores. My questioning was that even though TK Maxx sells similar branded products it's name isn't exactly respected as much as the likes of Armani. I would fully expect Jamie's Italian to go into the dome/former NUFC club shop unit with a small pavement eating area.

141 - 160 of 743 Posts