Skyscraper City Forum banner
161 - 180 of 743 Posts

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Thanks for the photo's guys, it's showing that work really is getting going now. The impact of ESS, who would have thought that back in 2009 and 2010 when we were complaining about faux windows and faux stone that it would have had such a positive effect on retail in Newcastle especially in a recession as well?

Elliot I'm afraid to disappoint you but it was Calvin Klein who opened a underwear store next to Urban Outfitters last year.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Ah you're right, may love architecture and that, but shows how little i really pay attention, only because i'd never go into a shop that just sells underwear; seems stupid as you're really creating a niche store when there are quite large underwear sections in Fenwicks and John Lewis.

·
Northumberland Import
1,580 Posts
I imagine if Armani does open it'd be handy having a bank in the same building!

Do Armani have a concession in Fenwick or JL?

I've seen them in the HoF in Metrocentre and its awful stuff

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
I imagine if Armani does open it'd be handy having a bank in the same building!

Do Armani have a concession in Fenwick or JL?

I've seen them in the HoF in Metrocentre and its awful stuff
I think but I'm not sure that they have some stuff in Fenwicks.

They have vastly different ranges to be honest. One range is totally different from another, they have stuff for different age groups, you can get t-shirts for the younger market, or you can get some of the finest suites available and everything in-between.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Fantastic news about Jamie's Italian.

A tiny bit off topic but does anybody know if they plan to remove the disgusting, broken, filthy and down-right embarrassing 'tourist info point' outside Monument Mall at the bottom of Notthumberland St? It's a big heap of junk and really looks awful.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Fantastic news about Jamie's Italian.

A tiny bit off topic but does anybody know if they plan to remove the disgusting, broken, filthy and down-right embarrassing 'tourist info point' outside Monument Mall at the bottom of Northumberland St? It's a big heap of junk and really looks awful.
I doubt it. It's in a prime location and even though none uses it and it's tacky I'm sure NCC will keep it open for it's convenience and central location. It does look more like a public toilet though.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The Barclay's application goes before the Planning Committee next Friday with a recommendation to refuse on the grounds that it will cause "unacceptable harm to the vitality and viability of a Primary Shopping Frontage (Blackett Street and Northumberland Street) and the regional shopping centre contrary to saved UDP Policy R2.1, RSS Policy 25: Urban and Rural Centres and NPPF (paragraph 23)."

http://democracy.newcastle.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=3809&T=10
Looks like the Planning Committee are seeking the views of the public. Notices have gone up around the development notifying the public of the application. The notices contain the wording "The proposed development does not accord with the provisions of the approved development plan." Comments must be received by 13 August.

http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.u...610_01_DET-DEPARTURE_SITE_NOTICE_2-357417.jpg

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Tyr said:
Armani in Newcastle.... Colour me skeptical about that being a good idea....
Why? You need to have a look at what Armani Exchange sells- this isn't your Armani store found on Bond Street or Paris and Milan selling suits you need to remortgage your house for -this is a much younger store selling clothes with a similar price range that All Saints sells- you might get a t shirt for £30 and the like.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Have they reused the existing cladding for monument mall and just cut different window shapes? I hope they clean it up a bit, it's very mucky at the moment.

·
23,201 Posts
Barclays Bank sees flagship plan turned down
by Ruth Lawson, The Journal, July 25th 2012

BANKING GIANT Barclays’ plans to open a flagship branch in Newcastle City Centre have been put on hold after an application was rejected by the City Council’s planning committee. Barclays submitted proposals that would have seen a £3m injection to transform the vacant former Wallis/Evans unit in the Monument Mall, creating 50 jobs and boosting footfall to the high street with some 350,000 customers expected every year.

Similar flagship branches have already opened in Leeds, Glasgow and Manchester, leaving Newcastle as the only remaining key location in the North without a new branch, but the city council’s planning committee opposed the change of use application to transfer it from retail to financial services in a bid to ensure the ongoing redevelopment of Monument Mall remains focused on retailers. Concerns were also raised over the possibility that the change of use of the unit could leave it open to being used for other businesses such as betting shops later down the line.

The decision to reject the investment has been met with disappointment from the North East business community. Chi Onwurah, MP for Newcastle Central, said: “I was quite familiar with the plans because I met with Barclays a few months ago and they took me through them. I understand the council’s position but I wouldn’t say I agree with it. When I saw the plans they looked to be a very impressive addition to Northumberland Street. Oxford Street in London has a few banks on and that fits in well.”

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...lan-turned-down-61634-31466208/#ixzz21cNG1P9Q

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Thats a step in the right direction but I'm sure there will be an appeal and NCC will need to stay firm on this.

Barclays have an opportunity to transform one (or all of theirs other branches) in the city centre, they don't need to go into a new location. There store at the top of northumberland street is crying out for a makeover. I'm also very skeptical at this "It will create 50 jobs" speech.

I'm pretty sure it will mean all if not only most of the existing staff from the other locations all moving to the new location instead of new employees and I'm actually in the thought that some of them may actually be layed off because there will be too many of them. Also it an't create any in the construction side of things because Monument mall is as we all know already under going a refurbishment.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Now I'm confused. If it has been rejected, as The Journal reports, then why is it listed as still "pending consideration" on the planning portal, and did notices go up in Newcastle City Centre on Monday asking for comments on the application to be submitted by 13 August.

I'm also very skeptical at this "It will create 50 jobs" speech.
The planning application says that the branch will require an increase of 3 full-time equivalent staff.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Barclays could have took the units below their top of northumberland street branch an developed that- look what bhs did to the old next store. Let them develop their Percy street offices into this flagship bank- it's right next to elfin square and eldon garden and the newly soon to be developed coop. This would also increase footfall on Percy street I hope NCC stick to their guns here. Who cares if other cities have these big banks? It wouldn't provide anything new to the residents of the city- a totally new retailer or even a current retailer that can expand would.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,819 Posts
Now I'm confused. If it has been rejected, as The Journal reports, then why is it listed as still "pending consideration" on the planning portal, and did notices go up in Newcastle City Centre on Monday asking for comments on the application to be submitted by 13 August.

The planning application says that the branch will require an increase of 3 full-time equivalent staff.
Your not the only one who is confused by this move - sounds a bit like, we are refusing but......

Perhaps NCC are sure there will be an appeal and therefore want the public behind them with their decision.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Monument Mall - Barclays

The local MP Chi Onwurah is quoted as saying she met Barclays a few months ago and doesn't agree with the council's position.

Why did Barclays feel the need to meet her and why wasn't this meeting made public?

Anyway, there are empty units on Market Street so would they not be acceptable?

·
14,069 Posts
The local MP Chi Onwurah is quoted as saying she met Barclays a few months ago and doesn't agree with the council's position.

Why did Barclays feel the need to meet her and why wasn't this meeting made public?

Anyway, there are empty units on Market Street so would they not be acceptable?
I'd put a tenner on this getting through.

It's a safe bet that Barclays were lined up very early on as a tenant. The developer will come up with the usual arguments: jobs, economic climate, Barclays as a respectable and solvent tenant. NCC will also be advised of the risks/costs of an appeal.

Be interesting to see when the rendering was done...

161 - 180 of 743 Posts