SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Nice bit of Green space placed in front of Moor house
The original plans had some sort of walled water feature seperating the realm
from the road... this seems to be quite a drastic departure from that plan.
Although it has artificial raised bits, it still seems to look like it is sloping down towards the road

See the raised bits of ground, presumably for people to sit down on

notice the clean lines, no boundary between grass and high quality paving stones, minimal street furniture

Swiss Re poking up behind the tree

I thought this building (shown with yellow arrow where pile driver now is) was going to have a reclad, cant find the original thread but the building has now been completely demolished! (Note another building shown by orange arrow has also been demolished)

·
Waiting for 122
3,803 Posts
oOOH, didnt notice you could get a good view of Swiss Re and Tower 42 from Moorhouse. I should of crossed the road damn it :D

I like the grass, but will anyone want to sit down there right next to a busy road?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
That grass is going to be murder to cut.

·
Urge Desire Rest
2,404 Posts
i was glad they changed the area there. the road used to be split in two and they didn't make best use of the space. having said that i would have liked less pavement and more green stuff (though it is good quality pavement i'll give credit for that)

·
1,226 Posts
In the first pic, moorhouse looks like it's armed with an anti aircraft missile system.

·
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.
3,348 Posts
Sparks, I think you're right mate. After 9/11 modern age buildings have acquired an unorthodox way of protecting themselves from unforseen circumstances. :laugh:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Those two sites you point out are Austral House (on London Wall) and 35 Basinghall Street behind... both are about 10 storeys. New HQs for Standard Chartered Bank and Legal & General. Together with the new tower at Aldermanbury Square, they should make a nice group of shiny new buildings.

Not sure about the grass... can't decide whether it is a serious open space or an art installation!

·
Banned
1,820 Posts
Is this little green patch going to become the entrance to the Crossrail Moorgate platform end eventually?

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Aye the blue pile driver is Austral House - the old building came down in no time at all. Keltbray seem to get every demolition job going at the moment, they are all over Ropemaker Place, they did both Basinghall Street and Austral House and now they are working on Bow Bells House on Cheapside which started up with its scaffolding on Saturday. the Land Secs site at 120 Cheapside is also starting with contractors stripping the inside out and the post office on Milk street now shut. Going to be a very busy next couple of years on there and I'll start to get some shots of these two sites, + Ropemaker, Austral and Royex House. I also get a cracking view of St Pauls, Tate Moden, Palestra and Bankside 123 from our 9th floor board room on Gresham Street.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
nick-taylor said:
Is this little green patch going to become the entrance to the Crossrail Moorgate platform end eventually?
Aye - under the paving there is an entrance to the planned Liverpool Street platforms which will stretch from the station due east and pretty much along to Moorgate. Will be an amazing piece of engineering.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
well, i hope thy make some kind of tranquil area away from all the hustle and bustle, but it will never be that green in a few months time

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
they should really get rid of the Carphone Warehouse and replace it with a nice cafe/restaurant, it would make the area even better

1 - 14 of 14 Posts