1939 National Hotel

1960 City Wharfs

1974 Mary St during floods

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
@a.j.wilko
1,093 Posts
Excellent comparisons! Top work.

Second last picture of the two glass towers were always favourites of mine when I was a kid in the 90's, the rise of modern Brisbane to me.

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Another bit of Brisbane history: Diane Cilento - great structure.

·
7,976 Posts
The impact that AMP and Comalco had on Brisbane at the time could easily be likened, if not moreso, to the impact Vision, Eagle St, 480 Queen, Empire will have on Brisbane in the future. A total transformation.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Love that last one ... so much detail.

Check out the guy running - centre foreground! :lol:

That crane in the background - must be the QPAC under construction across the river.

Interesting to note that Her Majesty's Theatre prominent in this pic moved to the QPAC. This building and some of the adjoining sites, including those occupied by Bayards and Vic Jensens, all clearly visible in the pic, were later levelled to became the Wintergarden/Hilton complex.

·
Premium Member
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like the one of George St, and also the flood one.

In the last picture, with the running guy, you can even see an old "Blue and White" taxi, they haven't been around since 1983.

There was a lot of sadness at the time about Her Majesty's being demolished. It does look like a grand old building.

The other Queen St one is the only pic I have ever seen of the T & G building u/c.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts