·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
great news for SA!!

MORE MAKE HOME IN SA: Migrants at 20-year high
By JEMMA CHAPMAN and TORY SHEPHERD
18apr06
SOUTH Australia has achieved its highest share of immigrants in 20 years and experts predict a continuing influx.

But business leaders have warned the intake must rapidly increase in order for the state to avert a "population crisis".

Latest Immigration Department figures show 4396 people moved to SA from overseas in the six months to December - 6.7 per cent of the national intake and a significant increase for a population much smaller than those of the eastern states.

It is the state's highest share since 1985-86, when 5.3 per cent of Australia's immigrants - a total of 4923 - chose to settle in SA.

However, latest Australian Bureau of Statistics figures show the state's net population loss to other states was 3483 in 2004-05.

University of Adelaide demographer Professor Graeme Hugo has attributed the state's increase to immigration schemes that make it easier for people to migrate to underpopulated areas.

SA's immigration increase comes as the New South Wales share continues to decline.

While Australia's most populated state still attracts the largest number of migrants - 22,956 in the six months to December - its share has declined to 34.9 per cent from a peak of 44.7 per cent in 1995-1996.

Western Australia and Queensland also increased their share of immigrants, receiving 13.5 and 18.7 per cent respectively.

Prof Hugo said South Australia's skills shortage was also attracting skilled workers from overseas.

"There's a significant number of skilled migrants coming, so it's a really big change because previously it was overwhelmingly refugees," he said. SA's immigration share was now nearly equal to its population share.

While he predicted the state's migration intake would continue to grow, he said more needed to be done to stem the number of young people leaving the state.

"Having got the migrants here, the challenge is to retain them," he said.

Premier Mike Rann said he was "delighted at the upturn in migration".

He said the State Government would continue to market SA around the world "as a destination". "Obviously people go where the action is," he said.

"Right from the start, with our economic development strategy, it's been about generating economic growth and confidence in SA and ultimately, people will go where there are job opportunities."

Mr Rann said the $6 billion air warfare destroyer project and the Olympic Dam uranium mine expansion in the Far North would create many more job opportunities for skilled migrants.

Business SA chief executive Peter Vaughan welcomed the increase in migration as a "step in the right direction", but said many more migrants were needed as the population aged and young people were lost to the eastern states. "We will be the only state in Australia which will have a population decline.

"We are not going to get (a population increase) by all running off and having children. It ain't happening. The only way it can happen is by a massive increase of migration. We need to attract more young, entrepreneurial, risk-taking people of marrying age."

Mr Vaughan said SA needed to attract 50,000 migrants a year over the next 10 years to bring its population up to two million by 2015. The State Government's goal of achieving this population target by 2050 would be "too late".

Immigration Department spokesman Sandi Logan said SA was "continuing to attract more migrants and a large number of them are helping address critical skills shortages across the state".

Clara Spencer came to Australia from Canada almost a year ago, and was awarded permanent residency in February.

Ms Spencer has worked for a sustainable architecture firm and in hospitality since moving here.

Ms Spencer and her partner, Jacob Ross, visited Sydney over summer and talked about moving there. "But when you come to Adelaide you realise it's much more affordable," she said.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Do people like you get payed for plugging the living bumhole out of their cities or is it a pride thing?

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
Thats a bit harsh - everyone else post positive articles about their cities

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
I think moving to S.A is a very positive thing, its a great city, and I'm sure eveyrone agrees will be really buzzing in the next decade, especially on the back of the massive resources industry.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Still needs more to see my 'dream' of seeing cities around the Spencer Gulf boom!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The poor immigrants don't know what they're getting themselves into ;)
Well not so long ago, I could say that about Sydney - but those poor immigrants have now realised that ;)

btw this is my 300th post!!!

·
moonage daydream
626 Posts
Adelaide is a great place to live, if you like a smaller type city. I really don't know why others constantly bag the place, immaturity I guess. I expect that the people who rubbish it have never spent any time there.

A prosperous Adelaide is good for Australia and should be actively encouraged.

·
transatlanticism
1,449 Posts
you're so right TooFar. btw, you should visit the SA forums more often... its becoming alive and sensible again!

·
Banned
481 Posts
Adelaide:

* Sexy looking women (very easy to talk to, don't have poles up their ass and down to earth).
* Easy to get around.
* Nice warm climate (don't know about the last 12 months though beginning to resemble Melbourne)
* Some great restaurants, one of my favourites is a seafood restaurant on Gouger Street.
* Sexy looking women.
* Home of Villis, without doubt the best pastry cook/baker in the country, if not the world (has its own shop off South Road, near Rcihmond, open 24/7, go there all the time)
* Glenelg (the Bay). Can't believe the development there in the past 4 years. Everytime I go to Adelaide, which is about 4 times a year, I see something new going up. But stuff the developments, you should see the babes there.
* Rundle Street (sort of like Chapel Street and Brunswick Street all rolled into one, but alot more condensed)
* Henley Square
* V Super Race
* Great looking women.
* Handorf (in the Adelaide Hills, very nice, and green).
* Speaking of Adelaide Hills, Melbas Chocolate Factory, they make the best chocolate raspberry lollies I've tasted.

They reckon their Coopers shits all over Vic made beer, but gee I dunno, lol. At a bbq in Adelaide last Christmas, was having a VB, and I innocently said in passing that you can't beat VB, and lol did I cop it. There was about 15 of them, mostly friends of my family, all drinking Coopers, who vigorously debated it with me.

Hint, if you are ever in Adelaide, don't knock their Coopers.

But all in all, I love the place.

To all those who havent been, go there first and spend time with people in the know, that's the key, before you make judgement on the place.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Adelaide is a nice town and SA is okay. A very stimulating place and I can understand why many families would choose it to settle down in. For a young ambitious person it's the worst mainland capital city to be in. The most exciting thing to happen there recently is the opening of IKEA !

·
Watch my Chops
6,034 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts