Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
33,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me open my own thread dedicated to the city I was born in and the city I consider one of the most interesting and various in the world.

Mostly there will be pictures taken during my walks through the city, with no particular objects. I like wandering around the city center and not only, noticing all these changes Moscow is going through.

So, yesterday, after supper (!) we decided to go downtown. We left home at about 8:30 PM but we were not afraid it would be soon dark: Moscow is not as northern as St Petersburg and it can't boast famous White Nights, however, the sunset these days is after 11 PM, which is nice.

I didn't take my camera, only iPhone, so many of the pictures are not that good, but the mood was really romantic.

We started near the Zoo and one of the 7 Stalin skyscrapers, at Kudrinskaya square and made for Patriarshiye Prudy (ponds).

1. This tiny house was occupied by Chekhov. Not is it the museum dedicated to him.

2. Moscow planetarium that was renovated for years. I visited it only when I was little. I need to refresh my impressions, definitely.

3. Patriarshiye prudy ("Patriarch's ponds). Don't know why it's in plural: there's just one pond. I like this place a lot, though it is the second time I'm here. Where else can you find swans in the Megapolis urban zone, except the Zoo?

4. "Patriarch" residential compound back to 1990s. It's emblem in roman style is a bit funny. You can see it above the ground floor, right above the exit out of the praking lot.

5. We decide to stop for a cup of coffee and some bakery at Wolkonsky cafe.

7. Keep on walking towards Triumphalnaya Square. At this moment lights go on, and Moscow is getting even more beautiful and romantic. Moscow Never Sleeps!

8. Nice illumination of the facades at Garden Ring Road. I regret not havng my Mark III with me.

9. Entering Aquarium Garden right near Mossovet theatre.

10 . The fountain makes me feel like I'm somewhere in Rome.

13. Hotel & restaurant Beijing, that I've been considering to be the 8-th sister of skyscrapers since my childhood. :)

14. Then we take Tverskaya-Yamskaya street and decide to walk until Belorusskaya square. The night city is just charming.
Sheraton hotel is very Dubai- or Alexandria-like.

15. Square in front of Belorussky railway terminus. The sumptuous building at the left is the Metro entrance, Belorusskaya station

16. Right inside before going down.

We got home after midnight. Yet some parts of the sky were still illuminated by the Sun...

·
Registered
33,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Walking down the streets of Moscow City center on June, 12 (National Holiday).

On the 12 of June (Day of Russia) we decided to visit MSU Botanical garden ("Medicinal garden") that I had heard of much. As I've got more free time these days, we decided to go there.

But I'm not gonna talk about the garden here. I'd like to talk about the way we made to get to it. We started right in the heart of Moscow, in Alexandrovsky Garden. I launched MapMyRide on my iPhone to know how long our route will be

1. When we got out of metro, we saw Kutafya tower, the smallest one of the Kremlin.

I seldom wander in the center of Moscow due to the lack of time. Travelling to work and back is almost always underground. If I travel by car, I usually go around the city.

2. Alexandrovsky garden.

3. Favorite tourist spot.

·
Registered
33,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10. Unfortunately, there were several homeless nearby, they smell awful.

11. One of the most expensive Moscow hotels, Metropol.

12. Nikolskaya hotel with a recently renovated and opened entrance to Lubyanka metro station.

·
Registered
33,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My yesterday evening walk down Maroseyka and Pokrovka streets that have been recently refurbished with more space for pedestrians, new lampposts etc.

All pictures are taken with my iPhone.

28 .08. 2014.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
great pics, thanks.

-

1 - 20 of 334 Posts