SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
981 - 1000 of 1135 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
No offence ZATUGA but that portuguese stadium is an eyesore :puke:

The seating in MM is absolutely gorgeous if you ask me.
Surely not an offense. For I also don't like their seats at all, but the outside of the stadium is rather gorgeous. I just mentioned it, for they made me remember the purpose of the MM seats being of various colours. Even though I think that MM version is a 100x better, but like I mentioned before I would prefer if they stayed in one of the colour tones or the orange or the blue, prefer the latter one ( it should start in light blue from the top to dark blue at the bottom ).

·
22,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #982
Oh wow. I think some will have to eat their puke. Honestly i am jealous as hell that some of us cant get a tour too! was at the sharks game and took some snaps, will put up tomorrow. But its looking good. Looking at the retail area and thinking that a couple of cafe's and bars would go down well there. Will add an awesome after match vibe. Also a forward thinking club owner should take some of the space. Parking at your door and no will ever complain of noise.... Perfect spot

·
22,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #983
Oh and as a side. Why should the seats match the colour of the teams playing there??? if people are sitting in the dam seats you wont see the colours so coding the colour to the team achieves nothing and you will still have blocks of monotone colour. Eew. This is an ingenious approach which looks very good on the eye. For those of you that think it destroys the stadium, clearly you should go have the monotone grey of cape town. Durban is a bright and colourful city, why not show it off in our stadium too. It shows energy, creativity and after everything else is incredibly practical. Alas you will always have people that will love and those that dont. I'm just glad we are being different and i love it. So there :)

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Those seats dont look half as bad as some of you made them out to be
I like the various shades blue and the white, the orange is interesting, but overall, its looking great

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh and as a side. Why should the seats match the colour of the teams playing there??? if people are sitting in the dam seats you wont see the colours so coding the colour to the team achieves nothing and you will still have blocks of monotone colour. Eew. This is an ingenious approach which looks very good on the eye. For those of you that think it destroys the stadium, clearly you should go have the monotone grey of cape town. Durban is a bright and colourful city, why not show it off in our stadium too. It shows energy, creativity and after everything else is incredibly practical. Alas you will always have people that will love and those that dont. I'm just glad we are being different and i love it. So there :)
:applause:

·
Cancun
778 Posts
I have a question this stadium will have a roof? Like an indoor arena?

I'd like to go 2 SA to the WC but it's too far away. I hope someday go to a WC.

·
Jungle
2,094 Posts
Dysan1

The East stand just 100 meters away at Absa (Mrs Manuel)Stadium has Gray seating, so as to identify with the gray in the sharks jersey. Perhaps you were in a box and couldnt see this part of the structure.

It will also be of interest to see how and where the stadium NAMING RIGHT/sponsors enormous signage will be erected or plastered/bolted onto MM.

Bet, it turns out a right eye sore, after thought. Hope not though.

PD.

·
22,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #991
You got it dead on dennis, i would just leave one word out of your sentence

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'd save my opinion till everything is complete with grass and the third tier, the overall effect might work. one thing i know is that seeing it on screen is definately different from experiencing it live. the overall effect with those colours in my mind is carnival atmosphere:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The first time I have actually got so sit down at my computer this whole weekend. :(

WOW. Let me just say, that on Friday afternoon when I put my foot into that stadium, I got goosebumps. Seriously. The feeling was like walking into the most incredible structure I have ever seen. if you have seen some of the pics on my Posterous blog, those were from my iPhone. I have taken a couple more on my DSLR, which I haven't downloaded yet (the busy weekend thing again ;)

I saw a couple people marveling on the forum at the seating structure. Let me tell you it honestly looks more awesome in real life. I would say the seating is about 70% done, and it looks like they still got to the north side. Seating is those flip up chairs. They have quite good space between them, which should suit "people like me" :) The colours are quite significant, in that the blue at the bottom is for the sea, and slowly going up to an orangy colour for the sun. Honestly once it is completed, it is going to look amazing !!!

A couple of things that I personally noticed.
- ABSA stadium is a very "tall"stadium, in the sense those top seats at ABSA ar high up and you will battle if you suffer from vertigo. Seating at MM is more "level". When you walk in to the stadium you go 2 levels down, and then you have your seating. So you will effectively be "in line" with the players

- The players change rooms sound awesome. We couldnt get in, but it sounds like they are huge, and have jacuzzis

- People park on the South side sounds like it will be a great area for families. Big open spaces with restaurants. I think I can see myself going there for family picnics once it is open

- The whole stadium can be evacuated in 8 minutes !!! that is going to be a HUGE selling point

The tour was really interesting, I only saw some of the questions you guys asked a bit late, but I will try and answer what I can, but can't promise anything. I was to busy taking it all in/taking photos so didn't get to listen to it all, but will try as best I can :)

Well questions will be as pointed out before, when will construction of the 3rd tier start, which firm is doing it, what sort of temp tier are we looking at (steel, precast concrete)
It sounds like this will be temporary style structures. "Scaffolding" type structures, that can disassembled after the games. I'm thinking it is going to be similar that was used for the A1GP in Durban. Honestley, I think its gonna be quite high up, but will def be a good vantage point

Also parking, how will that work, will they have park ride facilities on match days. When will the shopping area be complete and open to the public, like wise with Hero's walk.
By the sounds of things, and my personal opinion, this may be a negative. Sounds like they have a 1000 parking's under the stadium, 3000 at peoples park. Other than that, there was anything else mentioned. Given that we looking at about 70000 people, the maths doesn't add up. That said though, the new station is well on track, and they having a huge bus station being built. I thought about it afterwards, and I reckon, if I go to games, I will park at somewhere like Sibaya, and catch a bus in, it could be chaotic near that stadium

1) When will the cable car and adventure walk open for public use? Was previously told November.
That adventure walk looks FLIPPEN scary. Eish. The bars are only about 50cm apart. I don't think I will do it. Not sure if its being publicized, but they will also be having a bridge swing thing from the top of the arch. Sounds quite cool, but I may just chicken out on that one as well :p
The cable car "car" is all there, but hasn't been handed over to the stadium yet. hmmm..honestly, doesn't look that exciting. I can see myself using it once, take a couple of photos, but then no need to do it again. Nice to have.

2) In the retail section we have confirmed tenants as Planet fitness and Mr Price Sport... who else will be in it? Food? cafes?
The lady that took us on the tour said it would mostly be sports orientated shops. Didn't go into detail though on what specific shops will be there. Looks like they also building a purpose built restaurant at peoples walk which should cover that part. Me, I think I will go to the stadium to watch whatever sport is on, and go home. Can't see myself walking around a soccer game with packets in my hand...hehe
3) Are they sure they will be ready for the Bafana Bafana vs. Japan game in November? And when can we all buy the tickets!!!!!
She did mention something about this, but I can't see it happening in all honesty. Maybe thats just me. If it does, I will be first in line for tickets though, thats for sure.

1. Please ask the powers that be if Discovery or another major film-maker is doing a report on the stadium. Will be a pity if this wasn't the case as the construction of MM is is a major engineering feat in any book.
hmmm, sorry, I only saw this question afterwards, so missed it :( But I will try and mail the guy who organised the tour for us, and see if he can find out, cause its a very interesting question !!

2. Will the city be appointing an operator to run the stadium or will it be serving as the operator? If the former, when will the tender go out?

From the sounds of things, FIFA takes over the stadium in June for WC, and then after that it gets handed back to the city. I'm assuming there will be some sort of tender process, but as far as I know, there isn't anything in concrete yet

3. Will MM be the permanent name of the stadium or will a sponsor (such as ABSA) be offered the branding opportunity in return for payment (which will help re: financing stadium and long-term sustainability).
I do recall someone asking about this, but it doesn't sound like it just yet. If you think about most stdaiums, for eg Ellis Park, they were justc alled Ellis park until they were in financial $hit, and the stadium was then renamed Coca Cola etc. I may be off the mark, but there wasn't any mention made of sponsers etc.

4. Is the city making any effort in making more frequent official pics of the stadium available? Most of the pics thus far have been by non-city sources.
Cool question, and one I will be asking the guys who organised the tour for us. I got invited by the project manager for the 2010 website, who gave us a talk on Thursday about the website and the negative publicity behind it. They are looking for input from the public/users of the site, and this is exactly the type of question/input they looking for. From what I understand the website is only at phase 1/1.5 at the moment, out of a 3 phase approach. They are working on having a lot more info about Durban/Stadium shortly, and I'm pretty sure they will have loads more photos soon. I think as the stadium gradually progresses and gets nearer completion, we going to see a LOT more official photo's.

Sjoe...Done. As I said above a lot of the opinions above are my own, and how I see the stadium progressing. I honestly think that this is going to become an iconic figure in stadiums around the world, and will be used as a benchmark in projects around the world. They have covered almost every single aspect, and I think we have a winner here.

Shot for asking the questions, and if there is anything else, shout :)

·
22,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #995
Showcase stadium all set for lift-off

Bareng-Batho Kortjaas Published:Aug 29, 2009
http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=1057273

A ride on a sky car to soak in a spectacular view of Durban and the Indian Ocean, or a romantic lunch at a garden restaurant. These are but two of a host of activities that will be available when the new world-class Moses Mabhida Stadium opens to the public in a month’s time. The sky car goes up the northern side of the stadium’s arch, to a viewing platform 106m above the ground.

“It will be the highest publicly accessible point, boasting a 360- degree view of Durban,” said Julie-May Ellingson, head of the eThekwini 2010 project.

Access from the southern end of the arch will allow fitness freaks to climb a 550-step staircase to the viewing point.

Constructed at a cost of R3.1- billion, the stadium is one of the five cauldrons erected for the football festival that SA will host in 284 days’ time. The spaceship-like state-of- the-art 70000-seater will stage eight World Cup games including five group matches, a last- eight match and a semifinal.

Despite losing 10 days to the recent construction workers’ strike, authorities are assured that the artistic multifunctional venue will meet deadline. The practical completion date of construction is October 8. “The next step will be to make the venue operational by putting in ticketing software and putting furniture in the suites,” said Ellingson.

Plans are afoot to keep the arena active for life after the 2010 World Cup. Durban has a stated intention to bid to bring the 2020 Olympics to Africa.

“The stadium is well positioned to host the Olympics but the decision as to whether South Africa would want to be the host has to be taken by the government,” said Ellingson. “Although it has a 70000 capacity, it can easily become an 84000 seater because we can add 14000 temporary seats for the Olympics.”

City manager Mike Sutcliffe told the Sunday Times: “The Absa Stadium (adjacent to Moses Mabhida) is a part of the overall product. We have no problem with that. The precinct (around Absa Stadium) has actually been enhanced because of the new stadium. In the initial model it was thought that rugby would have to be part of the stadium (as tenants) but that is not the case. Fifa require the stadium next year so the earliest rugby can move in is in 2011, perhaps 2012. We are talking to them and we have good relations with them.”

But Brian van Zyl, the Sharks chief executive, appears less enthusiastic about the prospect of relocating : “There is nothing on the table to entice us to move. It is all about the control of the new stadium and what we are going to get for the old stadium.”

He puts the book value of the Shark Tank — as the venue that is home to the Sharks rugby team is known — at R500-million to R600-million. “We have exchanged some financial information with the eThekwini municipality officials. They went away to digest it and were due to come back to us but we have never heard from them,” said Van Zyl. “We recently had a brief off- the-record meeting with Sutcliffe to discuss a tentative date for another meeting. They want us to move to the new venue but the decision is ours.”

Ellingson believes it would be in the interests of the Sharks, who are the reigning Currie Cup champions, to set up home at the new arena. “Ultimately they will have to look at their own revenue stream. There is no doubt in our minds that football and rugby can co-exist. The timing of the move is something they will have to determine but we are in discussions.”

In addition, Ellingson dismissed reports that the Bafana Bafana-Japan game was billed for the November 29 public opening of the venue. “That was an off-the-cuff discussion but there was no confirmation. We are busy finalising a games schedule with the SA Football Association and the PSL but we cannot make those announcements yet,” she said.

To prevent it from becoming a white elephant after the World Cup, Ellingson said they envisaged the stadium as a seven- day-a-week operation. “Different parts of the stadium will be open to the public all the time. People will be charged a fee for riding the sky car. There will be restaurants in the northern and the southern parts of the stadium, sports- good shops, a gym and a tourism office,” she said. Further financial sustainability “will come from hosting other events such as music concerts, 20-20 cricket, athletics and showjumping”.

For Ellingson, the Moses Mabhida stadium, which will have a People’s Park with two training pitches, “is a beacon of the future of Durban and signifies a whole new positive future for the city” that seeks to position itself as a sporting destination of choice beyond the World Cup.

·
22,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #996
Dysan1

The East stand just 100 meters away at Absa (Mrs Manuel)Stadium has Gray seating, so as to identify with the gray in the sharks jersey. Perhaps you were in a box and couldnt see this part of the structure.

It will also be of interest to see how and where the stadium NAMING RIGHT/sponsors enormous signage will be erected or plastered/bolted onto MM.

Bet, it turns out a right eye sore, after thought. Hope not though.

PD.
Actually i sat on the east stand and it has green seating...lower levels have grey, some are black. Its a total mish mash, but thanks for trying.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The seats look awesome! I did doubt the colour scheme at first, but now that the seating is starting to take shape, it looks brilliant. The grass-green pitch is just going to make it look 100x better! ;)

·
East Coast Massiv
16,647 Posts
Thanks for the replies Marc, the stadium always blows me away when I drive past it or visit the visitor's center. The size of the structure gets to you first because we are not used to seeing something so big and bold. Im sure the tour was awesome, cant wait to see your pics!

981 - 1000 of 1135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.