SkyscraperCity Forum banner

mOsQuEs!!!

26752 91
Sultan Mosque

pics by hyacinthus

61 - 80 of 92 Posts
never quite noticed it before, but nice colour contrast! :happy:
I believe that the Sultan Mosque in Singapore - yes, it is Art Deco influenced, and also, based on the pattern books that were popular in British-ruled India, on *typical* and *correct* Moghul style to be used for *native* buildings....

The original mosque was more of a pyramidal roofed South East Asian typology, similar to what you can see in Melaka.

Unusually, this mosque seems to be the only one that I know of to have TWO equal sized domes - probably a design intention to create a presence from multiple vistas - from Bussorah Street, from North Bridge Road (now sadly blocked by a Huge angsana tree) and from Jalan Pisang.

I hope one day that they will open up one of the Minarets for public to climb up to view.... it must be amazing....
Are there any existing pictures of it? I have seen a drawing of it in this book, which contains tons of great old pics from Singapore.

The original mosque was more of a pyramidal roofed South East Asian typology, similar to what you can see in Melaka.
Shame to demolish old Bidadari Mosque

8 May 07

IT IS a pity the old mosque at the entrance to Bidadari Cemetery will soon be demolished.
Little is known of when this mosque was built. It was originally used to prepare bodies before burial. Later, it was used as a surau, or small place for prayers. In 1991, the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (Muis) declared it a mosque.

Based on the date it became a mosque, it is barely 16 years old. But based on when the original building was built, it is more than 100 years old. This building deserves to be a national monument.

Bidadari, which covers 57ha of land, was originally a palace ground. The palace was built by Sultan Abu Bakar for his second wife in 1885. No one knows why the palace was demolished, but it has vanished and all that remains is the small building now called Bidadari Mosque. The land was converted into a cemetery with its first burial in 1910.

The cemetery catered to 75,000 Muslims in 63 years from 1910 to 1973. The remains were relocated between August 2002 and October 2003.

This is the only mosque with ample parking space. It can easily accommodate 50 cars and 100 motorcycles. It is thus a favourite with taxi drivers, deliverymen and motorcyclists who visit for Friday prayers.

For the past three months, I have frequented this mosque. I notice there are always more than 350 faithful there. Nearly half of them drive or ride a motorcycle. I see regular faces every Friday.

When the mosque closes next month, it will be a pity. I wonder where these people will go. Other mosques nearby such as Alkaff, Al-Istiqamah, Haji Yussoff and Sallim Mattar are always full. Worse, they have no parking facilities.

Is it true Bidadari will be converted into a park? If so, why not leave the mosque alone until the last day when the redevelopment project happens? Better still, allow this active mosque to remain standing as a national monument.

Abdul Rahim Ngarsi
WAH!!!!

I've seen articles on "Istana Bidadari" but can't find any info on it.
is there a picture of it? I heard the area is 'beautiful'
Bidadari Mosque

Hi all.

There was an article in the ST Forum regarding the Bidadari Mosque on 8 May 2007 by one Abdul Rahim Ngarsi. Any one has any idea how to get in touch with this gentleman?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hajjah Rahimabi at Kimkeat Road

On a gloomy rainy day...Taken from backside of the mosque

Regret for the quality and size of the pic. Original size is smaller and with better resolution. Help me on how to upload the original size of the picture. I'm using imageshack to upload.

Masjid Angullia @ Serangoon Rd.

News from TODAY.

source: TODAY
News from CNA.

Mosques are part of Singapore's cultural landscape and heritage: Dr Yaacob
By Riz Sunawan, Channel NewsAsia
POSTED: 16 Jan 2015 21:56

Mosques in Singapore are part of the cultural landscape and heritage, which provides the diversity that all Singaporeans cherish, Dr Yaacob said after he unveiled the plaque marking the Alkaff Upper Serangoon Mosque as the 68th National Monument of Singapore.

SINGAPORE: The plaque marking the Alkaff Upper Serangoon Mosque as the 68th National Monument of Singapore was unveiled by Minister-in-charge of Muslim Affairs, Dr Yaacob Ibrahim on Friday (Jan 16).

Mosques in Singapore are part of the cultural landscape and heritage, which provides the diversity that all Singaporeans cherish, Dr Yaacob said after the unveiling.

Said Dr Yaacob: “The mosque provides that diversity that we all cherish and we must continue to embrace diversity as we go forward. I think it represents what Singapore is all about, we have been always welcoming people from different background to Singapore to make this into a home and we must thank also the Arab community that build this mosque in the 1930s as a contribution.”

The Mosque was gazetted as Singapore's 68th national monument on Dec 19, 2014.

Speaking to reporters after the unveiling ceremony, he thanked the National Heritage Board (NHB) for honouring the mosque as a national monument. It is the sixth mosque to be gazetted as a national monument.

NHB said Alkaff Upper Serangoon Mosque "serves as a reminder of the Arab community's significant presence and contributions to society in pre-war Singapore"

The mosque reopened in March last year after upgrading works. The total prayer space increased from 800 to 1,200 congregants.

- CNA/dl/el
source: CNA
Al-Ansar Mosque

Here are some pictures I took of the mosque in Bedok. :)

2015-02-01-01 by w3015r, on Flickr

2015-02-01-02 by w3015r, on Flickr

2015-02-01-03 by w3015r, on Flickr

2015-02-01-04 by w3015r, on Flickr
MUIS recently, launched first Islamic endowment villas along Jalan Haji Alias off Sixth Ave (wakaf properties). The sales will be used to fund the $1.1 million upgrading cost for 110-year-old mosque, Masjid Al-Huda.
Al-Ansar Mosque

Here are some pictures I took of the site today. Looks like it could be done in a month or two.

2015-03-02-01 by w3015r, on Flickr

2015-03-02-02 by w3015r, on Flickr

2015-03-02-03 by w3015r, on Flickr

2015-03-02-04 by w3015r, on Flickr
I like those patterns seen on the facades of the modern mosques. Intricate and detailed but not too tacky IMHO.
61 - 80 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.