SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering.....in Boston and its immediate surrounding areas, which neighborhoods are the most affordable for those wanting to rent a 1BR. Not only affordable, but also safe and convenient as far as the T and the buses, groceries, pharmacies and so on.

Consider a young, quiet, single girl with no pets who would want to live in this area for 1 to 2 years before moving into something better (though still renting). I already know Boston is expensive in general so I've already come to the realization that I'll more than likely have to have at least one roommate, but if I can avoid it, I will. Anyway, I woudln't have any pets or a car.

I already know fo two nice areas (Back Bay and Brookline) I would love to live in, but they are very $$$ so I would like to consider cheaper options that are just as safe and convenient. I have heard mixed reviews of Mission Hill and something also suggested another area..I think called Brighton? Or something like that. What do you think?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Try Jamaica Plain. I've lived in the neighborhood for years. It's more family oriented than Brighton or Allston. It's very racially mixed, safe and has a great strip of about a mile of great resaurants and funky shops. You won't find any of the corporate stuff like Starbuck's here. It's all local shop owners.

·
Registered
162 Posts
either ALLSTON, or on the far edges of BRIGHTON.

Allston is mostly somewhat of a student slum, but the rents are the cheapest you will find in boston. Oh, and there are rats, but where isnt there.

Way out in Brighton near BC or Oak Sq, you can get a nice sized condo or house for a decent price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to live in Somerville (Davis Square). It is very fun and more affordable than other areas nearby in Cambridge. There is a Subway stop in Davis and plenty of buses. (along with movie theaters, bars, great restaurants, art and a hip little scene) Goodluck with the move. Used to live in Boston and plan on moving back ASAP. Great City!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blink55184 said:
either ALLSTON, or on the far edges of BRIGHTON.

Allston is mostly somewhat of a student slum, but the rents are the cheapest you will find in boston. Oh, and there are rats, but where isnt there.

Way out in Brighton near BC or Oak Sq, you can get a nice sized condo or house for a decent price.
:eek2:

ARE YOU SERIOUS???? Eeeeew, I can't be around rats, I'll freak out! Is there a huge rat problem in Boston and is it common to have them throughout peopls'apartments???? Can they be avoiced if you live higher up in a complex? Bleh, just the thought makes me wanna :puke:

·
A B C
1,669 Posts
Try Charlestown, the apartments there doesn't cost alot. Some part of East Boston is pretty cheap. The apartment which my family lives in cost $208 a month and includes electricity and water.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Goldie84 said:
:eek2:

ARE YOU SERIOUS???? Eeeeew, I can't be around rats, I'll freak out! Is there a huge rat problem in Boston and is it common to have them throughout peopls'apartments???? Can they be avoiced if you live higher up in a complex? Bleh, just the thought makes me wanna :puke:
Jeez, don't you live in a city now? Never seen a mouse or rat? not that big a deal.. Boston is not infested..but has a few rats like any city does.

East Boston is somewhat slummy- but some renovations are making it better, including the park piers park with a hell of a view of downtown boston.
most East Boston neighborhoods have to deal with some airport noise tho.
Charlestown is kinda slummy in my opinion as well, someone from my school was murdered there 2 years ago.

DARKFENX---208 a month?!?!?! where the hell is that?!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
blink55184 said:
Jeez, don't you live in a city now? Never seen a mouse or rat? not that big a deal.. Boston is not infested..but has a few rats like any city does. !
yes i live in a city. only time I ever seen a mouse was in my public high school and it didn't bother me, but it would bother me if i seen one in my house or apartment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
DarkFenX is just exaggerating. I've never seen a rat anywhere in the city of Boston. Not Allston, Charlestown, E. Boston, whatever. The only rodents I've seen are in the subway tracks, and those are cute mice, not rats. I'm sure that there are rats in Boston like any other city, but it's not even close to being a problem or concern.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lexicon506 said:
DarkFenX is just exaggerating. I've never seen a rat anywhere in the city of Boston. Not Allston, Charlestown, E. Boston, whatever. The only rodents I've seen are in the subway tracks, and those are cute mice, not rats. I'm sure that there are rats in Boston like any other city, but it's not even close to being a problem or concern.
That's just what I wanted to hear....... :cheers:

·
Registered
11 Posts
i live in jp now till the end of june and im back to canada. if you want culture and have a moderate price range i'd say jp. it's wonderfully unique to boston.

·
Registered
258 Posts
JP is a great area! So is Somerville.

As for rats, well, it's gotten a hell of a lot better than it used to be. I used to see rats in the muddy river all the time, and I mean big-ass rats! Now I hardly ever see one. But they do exist. If you see one they usually are running away. It's not as if they're in your apartment. they're in the street or a dumpster. Burt like I said, I hardly ever see them.

I have great rat stories from twenty years ago. the city has changed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
man i would totally freak out if i saw a rat...lol. as long as its not in my house though and not running toward me, i'm cool. i'll consider jp and somervile if i do end up moving up there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts