SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are, in your opinion, some of the most beautiful cities and towns in Canada? Please state any reasons for your selection; beauty can be architectural, scenic, pure 'charm,' etc.

Please only 'nominate' cities and towns ONCE, although you can certainly discuss why a particular nomination is or is not worthwile while nominating your own.

------------------------

For starters, I nominate the city nestled close to its ugly siblings (Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge), Guelph, Ontario (pop 105,000). Unlike its ugly siblings, Guelph has an active, urban downtown fit for a city its size. It is surrounded by the charming Wellington County, and boasts an architecturally pleasing university.

The pictures are not mine, and are not of the greatest quality.

Downtown Guelph - the cathedral

Downtown Detail

Steel facade building

University of Guelph

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I nominate Stratford, Ontario...

Court House and Avon River

Shakespearean Gardens

Downtown Color and Detail

City Hall

Stratford Festival Theatre

Art Gallery

Stratford Normal School (now Discovery Centre)

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Yes, Guelph is absolutely gorgeous. However, Waterloo is not ugly as you say it is- Cambridge is HORRIBLE though, and Kitchener is sort of half-way.

-thryve

·
У Борщин
1,613 Posts
I'll add Saskatoon to the nomination list as well. After all, it is known as the Paris of the Prairies. Some pictures are here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=339994

I just don't want to repost the pictures, thereby leeching even more bandwidth.

I'll have to find some pictures of the University of Saskatchewan as well. It's highly regarded as one of the nicest campuses. Many of the campuses buildings are quite old, and made out of either limestone or brick for the most part.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wow Stratford is beautiful, I had no idea! I'd love to head there this summer for the festival, especially after seeing these pics.

BTW I think Brandon, MB might also be nicknamed the 'Paris of the Prairies' if I'm interpreting the Tragically Hip correctly in 'Wheat Kings'

·
Premium Member
84,387 Posts
I've been to Guelph, and Dundas and they are both very pretty... so is Elora and Elmira. St Mary's is also a lovely town! And Prince Edward County has so many charming little towns and villages... Bloomfield, Wellington... the list goes on and on. I'm originally from Western Canada, and was bowled over
by all the beautiful stone, and brick buildings in Southern Ontario... Georgian
style as in Port Hope, and high Victorian decoratives houses in Niagara-on-the-Lake.. so romantic looking!!!!! :cheers:

@Salvius, in your wonderful original set of photos, that 'steel' building is
actually cast iron. It became popular as a building material after the Eiffel
Tower was built.

1 - 20 of 277 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.