SkyscraperCity banner

Which is the most cosmopolitan city in the Americas?

• Bogota

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Buenos Aires

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • Caracas

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Honolulu

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Lima

• Los Angeles

Votes: 21 17.1%
  • Mexico City

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • New York City

Votes: 76 61.8%
  • Panama City (Pan.)

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Rio de Janeiro

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • San Francisco

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • San Juan (P. R.)

• Santo Domingo

• Toronto

Votes: 35 28.5%
  • Vancouver, BC

Votes: 9 7.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
"Hands of Stone"
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is(are) the most cosmopolitan* city(ies) on the Western Hemisphere? Where do you rate the cities in the above poll? Is there a glaring omission (or plurality of same)?

*Cosmopolitan: Having broad international sophistication; Having worldwide rather than limited scope; world class; culturally and ethnically diverse.

·
Registered
332 Posts
obviously NY. One of the largest concentrations of artists, writers, publishers, designers, business people and immigrants in the world. Not to mention home to the United Nations. No other city in the western hemisphere comes even close to offering such a complete package. If I had to choose 2nd most cosmopolitan, it would probably be between Toronto and LA. After that, Chicago, Miami, Washington.

In Latin America, I'd choose Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires, but both those cities are a long way behind the N American cities mentioned.

·
"Hands of Stone"
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glaring Omissions

Sao Paulo and Chicago was omitted because I wanted to post a balanced list with maximum room for 15. The scope of the poll was the whole western hemisphere. Consequently, I had to include cities from the Pacific, Caribbean, North, Central and South America.

Sao Paulo was edited out because Rio is perceived (by me) to be more cosmopolitan and needed to nominate only one city from each of the selected South American countries.

Chicago wound up 'on the cutting room floor' because I chose to select only three from the continental United States (Four overall), all of which are more cosmopolitan than the Windy City.

Because I wanted to achieve relative balance, the U. S. and Canada (2) were the only countries I selected more than one city from.

To cover myself and to invite dialogue, I did ask if there were any glaring omissions, while being the first to know the answer. Other inevitable omissions were: Montreal, Havana, Medellin, Boston and any I forgot to mention now.

This reminds me of the outrage generated by the omitted films and performances when the Academy of Motion Pictures announce their Oscar nominations. Or when an Oscar winner forgets to thank a spouse.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think Montreal should be up there! I think Montreal would be the most cosmopolitan city in NA outside NY.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Its a bit sad when you don't have SAO PAULO Brazil.

jt

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
London is barely in the western hemisphere but is in the western hemisphee. You could rename the thread as the most Cosmo... in Americas

·
Banned
269 Posts
Azn_chi_boi said:
London is barely in the western hemisphere but is in the western hemisphee. You could rename the thread as the most Cosmo... in Americas
Deary Me, this guy's just proved my last post ... Los Angeles is probably closer to the Eastern Hemisphere then Slovakia is

·
Registered Abuser
17,047 Posts
Nah...Change it to the 'Americas' and its all good!

Im new to the scene....I have no idea what Cosmopolitan or Urbanity mean...or if desity is good or bad etc.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Dictionary definition:

cos·mo·pol·i·tan
adj.

1. Pertinent or common to the whole world: an issue of cosmopolitan import.
2. Having constituent elements from all over the world or from many different parts of the world: the ancient and cosmopolitan societies of Syria and Egypt.
3. So sophisticated as to be at home in all parts of the world or conversant with many spheres of interest: a cosmopolitan traveler.
4. Ecology. Growing or occurring in many parts of the world; widely distributed.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.